1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading cost

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I know this has been hashed over several times before, so bear with me.

I just used the reloading cost calc on this site to figure up the cost of reloads and was astonished at the cost's. To reload a STS Nitro 27 shells with like componets and same performance it would cost $4.78 per box. I can buy new for $5.98 a box and sell the hulls for 4 cents a piece. I was amazed at the lack of difference on premium shells.

I then checked on 1 oz loads and it cost more to reload than buy. 1 can buy for $3.88 a box and reload for $4.52 a box!

The only place I can save money is on back-up shells for games. I guess that the loader will be sitting pretty idle for a while!

ec90t

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ah yes...the cost of entertainment has certainly gone up! For me, I still reload my handicap loads and will do so until I run out of shot (still have about 80 bags left which I paid $12.00 per bag).

Now, if I want to get crazy again and change hobbies, I can always go back to saltwater fishing, buy myself another Grady-White with all the bells & whistles and really spend some serious money.

Anybody know off-hand how many flats of premium shells I can buy with $125,000.00?

Curt - Delaware

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I suggest you shop around for your reloading supplies as your well above my cost. Gander Mt. is not recommended nor are any of the big box stores.

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL, Curt...You owe me a keyboard!!! Dang it, coke all over the place.

I spent a few years living down on the Gulf of Mexico and fishing....Curt's right, trapshooting is downright CHEAP compared to that. Even with the Perazzi figured in.

And I was buying gas for $.80 a gallon back in 1999. Ah, the days.

I can't imagine what it would be like at $3.

By the way, Curt...that $125k at 5% interest would generate $6,250 a year in INTEREST. That would buy 100 flats a year, easy, and never touch the $125k. So as long as you can exist shooting a measly 25k shells per year, you'll be fine, LOL.

jeff

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Joe,

Prices on supplies around here are as follows:

TGT-12 wads $80.00/case or more

Remington 209 primers $140.00/sleeve

Tightgroup powder $55.00/ 4lb jug

Magnum shot $37.50 a bag

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out! If I mail order supplies any savings will be more than offset by Hazmat fee's. Like I stated this is to duplicate a premium shell!

ec90t

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, ec, at least you're trying to compare apples to apples - premium components to premium shells.

We've got a guy that compares premium components to Estate shells, or worse.

But my questions to you are these:

1. Can you tell the difference between a remington primer at $140/sleeve versus a cheddite (or similar) at $90/sleeve?

2. Can you tell the difference between a TGT wad and, say, a claybuster or downrange wad at $60 a case?

3. Titegroup at $110 for 8lbs versus Promo for $90 or Rex for $75?

I know that these are not "premium" components...but they work, and work well.

If you're saving a $1.20 a box...how much is that per year?? I shot over 1,000 boxes last year - leagues, practice, trap, skeet, registered, etc etc. Are you saying you can't be bothered to reload to save $1,200?

Just curious....

jeff

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jeff....

New keyboard's on it's way...Glad you saw the humor in my post!

In the "For what it's worth" category....marine fuel locally over the Labor Day weekend was averaging $3.50 per. That's the equivalent of approx 42 flats in my old Grady....

Curt

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jeff,

Very little data on primers for Tightgroup powder. Remington and Winchester are all that's listed. Hodgdon has been able to come up with any other loads using primers other than of Remington and Winchester.

I have tried the Claybuster TGT replacement and threw the bag away after trying 25 shells that I reloaded. Pain in the butt to load and way too much plastic residue in the barrel.

The Downrange XL-1 green wad I liked pretty well but by the time I pay for shipping they cost the same as TGT's.

As far as powders go, I don't reload single base powders any more. It's a personal thing, but my loads are very consistant year round even if the shells get cold. The other is powder residue. Cleaner the barrel, the more efficient the burn is.

The $1.20 per box savings is before you factor in the $.04 / hull that you can get selling the once fired hulls. This brings the savings down to just $.20 / box.

Whether I shoot 1 flat or 100 flats a year, $.20 a box isn't worth it even if you (like me) like to reload. When shooting reloads if you have a blooper all you can do is blame it on yourself. If I have a Remington Blooper, I can send in the shell and they will send me a $9.00 coupon good for my next purchase of shells.

I still load a few 7/8's oz shells for an occasional skeet practice, and my back-up shells for games. Other than that, the economics aren't there for reloading right now.

ec90t

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At this time loading STS/Nitros with remington componants saves you little. Now you can go with less expensive alternatives wads,powders,primers,reclaimed shot, but are now loading less exspensive shells? I just like reloading. I alternate between buying and loading. Getting ammo and componants with out mail order is tough around here. So when I cat get the paticular shells i want I reload when reload supplys are slim I buy. Reloading has its + If you want to load lighter or hotter loads not readily avalible to you. Ex. I was reloading some very light 7/8oz loads for my wife when she was shooting 870. Then got her a auto loader I can now feed any shell to her.

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

why go to cheap components? i load shells with the best componets & shoot my targets for free,the reason jim stewarts better shot maker,mark

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Im getting there, have a good sorce of lead wheel weights and indoor range scrap. Hope to get a shot maker 1st of the year

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, plinker, I don't think you're shooting for free - if you count the time it takes you to make the shot.

Which I think is ec's point...that it takes him longer to reload and costs him more time than he thinks he can save in money on the backend.

Guess it's a personal choice. But I still bet that you can't tell the difference between a shell loaded with promo and one loaded with titegroup just by shooting it.

jeff

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Lets just take TIME out of it. Do not think when time factored in you save money doing anything. You should be doing these things with your FREE time.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

EX. I reload on Wed,thurs, or sundays when raining out, that is when i would usually shoot. There for no time lost.

15. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

jeff,i dont put a labor price on somthing that i consider a hobby(shooting,reloading,shotmaking),and enjoy doing.i work for a large automotive group,and have access to all the wheelweights from 12 tire changers,i am a member to a private indoor pistol range and get their lead also,so lead cost is $0$ (have 25- 30 full 5 gallon buckets on hand now,and still scrounging)
    since april ive made 3500 lbs of 7.5 shot,sold 2500 lbs to shooting buddies for .75cents/lb,witch has paid for my reloading & targets since march,
    i realize the lead arrangement i have is not the norm,but with a little leg work a reloader can scrounge up enough lead to keep him shooting ,go to the reloading estamator and 0 out the cost of shot,and youll find you can shoot a good round for $2.a box,it keeps me from complaining about the cost of reloading,and allows me to shoot moore, mark

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL, McClellen, Plinker...

You two and I are totally on the same page. This is a hobby! I don't count the time I spend reloading in the cost - and I don't count the cost of the hull, since I pick up all I need.

So with that as an entering argument...I will be reloading right up to the time that I can reload for what I can buy for - and maybe a bit beyond.

However, I am mindful that time HAS a value. I'm a CPA, and like lawyers, we bill by the hour. So every hour I spend reloading when I could be working and billing a client costs me money. In theory, anyway.

A day will come when I buy a shotmaker, I'm sure. Then I'll have another time eating hobby.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Reloading does pay off with the 28 and .410 and when duplicating premium 12 gauge target loads. But I'm with the guys that view reloading as a pleasurable pass time. I find my time in the loading room to be very relaxing. Listening to some good music and cranking out a flat of shells beats vegetating in front of the tube hands down. As far as really saving money goes, well I would be money ahead if I didn't reload because I wouldn't shoot nearly as much. Either you like the shooting/reloading hobby or you don't but either way it isn't about money.

18. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

jeff,where else can you get away from the world/work/nagging wife,whining kids, for hours on end,and never leave your basement/garage.doing something you like to do,and have it pay for somthing i love to do? can you put a price to relaxation??? keep shooting,mark

19. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

I have to agree with Plinker61 (except for nagging wife part Ha!Ha!). If my husband and I make 180-200 lbs of shot in a little over 2 hours; spend a cool weekend day melting our wheel weights down into ingots; reload our shells during an evening that there isn't something interesting on TV (which is usually every day)on the Dillon Loader at a case an hour; then we still have plenty of time to determine where we want to shoot, when we want to shoot, and it really isn't costing us personally by the hour for all of above. This also give us some quality time together because we like one anothers company too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.