1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING COMPONENT RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've just finished my new reloading bench and getting ready to stock-up on all the shell components I'll need to get started for the first time reloading.

I have AA, Federal Gold and Remington STS once-fired hulls. My question: Is there a combination of primer, wad and recipe that works for all three brands?

My preliminary investigations seem to reveal the AA and STS shouldn't be a problem, but the Federals may need unique components. Is there a good setup that will work for all three?

I'd appreciate guidance from those in the know.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Federal hulls have walls that are of uniform thickness from top to bottom (straight-walled hulls). These hulls also have a larger internal capacity than Winchester/Remington. They work best with wads designed for such hulls.

Winchester and Remington hulls get thicker toward the base (tapered hulls0 and use wads intended for that design. You will find data that uses Remington/Winchester-type wads in Federal hulls but the resulting loads will be less than ideal. I've never run across data that goes the other way.

Both style hulls can use the same primers and can use the same powders (although there are some powders best suited to one hull style or the other). It's the wads that will be different.

MK

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Guy, been meaning to send info to you but unfortunately, haven't succeeded. I will later today.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Martin... you if anyone knows I need all the help I can get! Aline says I am trainable though, so maybe there's hope.

As MK states and I've subsequently read more on, there is a difference in the hulls that precludes (I suppose) using the same wads on the Feds that one would use on the AA and STS. I wonder about the "less than ideal" statement however related to Win/Rem type wads in Feds. What does that relate to in performance?

Eager to learn more, pull the handle for the first time, and later watch a GB-made "bullet" break a target.

Guy

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Don`t use the same wads in the feds as you would in the win or sts`s , or you will get some blow by and reduced velosities . I would stay with the Rem hulls . I haven`t loaded a winchester hull in maybe 10 years and I`m fine with that .

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to work with what you have at hand and or can get. There are wads that I like but no one in the area carries them so I have to buy something else.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For Powders, I would get a jug of Green Dot or International Clays for the heavier 1 1/18 Oz loads and a jug of Clays, Red Dot or Promo for the lighter loads.

Winchester 209 primers will do fine for all loads, there are less expensive primers if you really want to squeeze the cost.

For wads, DownRange has everything you will ever want. Get a case of their TGT12 clones for 1 Oz loads in the STS and AA hulls, and a case of the XL1 blue for the 1 1/8 Oz. For the Federal hulls try the 12S3 clone.

Then get all the shot you can afford #8 or #7 1/2 or a mix.

You are a handloader now and that means you get to experiment - one load for all just defies the man law of handloading.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Federal 12SO wad (or Claybuster CB2100-12) works quite well in STS and older AA hulls (don't know about the newer HS AAs) for 7/8 oz loads. The same wad will work well in straight wall hulls (federal) for 1 oz loads and Claybuster claims 1 1/8 oz loads with the right components. My guess is you could use that wad, fast burning, efficient powder, and cool to middle primers for a great number of loads but use printed recipes of course.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

9. wlc

wlc Member

Alliant Powder's site has information for these three hulls. They do list some loads that use the same components but the powder weights may be different. I have used one of the recipies for Federal papers with an AA wad and thought they worked fine.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As some have said, stick with STS hulls - one piece injection molded hull... proven reliability - older Premier Hulls if you can find them.

I'm a Hodgdon guy - Clays, Universal Clays, etc... I prefer AA-type wads - Winchester-Western WT12, Claybusters and the Dusters.

I use Winchester 209 primers

To maximize purchasing power, try to stick with the fewest components that will give you the greatest flexibility and try to buy the largest quantities of a component that will offers you the lowest unit cost per item.

Enjoy!

Jay

11. gordy h

gordy h Member

There are many loads to choose from, I'd stay with the STS hull, and the book
    Recipe, watch your PSI more than anything. Changeing wads, primers etc. can make a big change in PSI. Look at my post (700X changes in load) last week.
    Hope this helps,and good shooting Butch H

12. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

When we first started we bought a lymans reloading manual. Answered alot of questions, GREAT informaation. Helped us to not worry, and just try different things. I like to play with loads. We all shoot different guns, so each of use shoot a different recipe. I am a stay at home mom, so guess who gets to play, yippeee. I cook up the recipe, and they get to try/pattern them and we go from there. I prefer DR wads. If questions call them, they are extremely helpful!! We prefer Alliant powders. I shoot Clays, 1 oz, DR XL 1 neon green, oldest son shoots red dot 7/8 oz, DR XL pink or 1 oz loads with my wads. middle son shoots green dot or unique in 20 ga 3/4oz, orange claybuster wads. my husband shoots whatever is sitting down there in the boxes already loaded, he likes my cookin :) I forgot.... we use mostly STS hulls. i have a few AA grey we picked up of the ground at ranges. Our STS hulls can sometimes get 12+ reloads. We do collect from the trap club there federal (straight walled, paper base wad)hulls and use them once more only! We use DR LS orange wad in those. They make great shells to use for activities that your hull will hit the groud (dove hunting, sporting clays, most 2+ shot things).

Second we come to great websites like this to get answers and courage to try new things. shotgunworld has some great advice too, hope i can say that, both sites are a must!!

Make a few shells go out and pattern your gun. Make a few differnt and do it again. Make sure you get a notebook, record everything to a T that way you can refer back to load data. If you have anyone close by ask to borrow/buy a few components that way you don't buy stuff and find out you hate it. Of course the powder books/and websites have lots of recipes, not to mention the lymans manual. have fun!

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Guy,

What loads do you normally shoot? That would narrow the choices, provided you wanted to assemble something similar.

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hey guy, good to see you are getting into reloading. I have a bag of DR 12S3 clone which will be good for loading the federal hulls. I will give them to dave and janice Sunday at New Oxford, and maybe they can give them to you at carroll county sometime. Unless of course you decide to make the trip up to New Ox this weekend. I haven't heard the best things about the federal hulls, lots of separations recently, I would load them once then just toss them. Stick with the STS and AA, more towards the STS. Right now we are making the switch to only STS hulls. Load the greens for singles an the Nitro's for handicap. Can't wait to see you again guy.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you are going to load 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce, then take a look at Green Dot. It will do a great job on both loads at trap velocities. Alliant site is one of the best for receipts if you go with any of their powders. Lyman 5th edition is good if you are using mixed brands of powders. There is some very practical information in the Lyman 5th on comparing primers with pressure changes with all other variables being the same.

Don't guess and don't assume anything.

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If your looking for advise in what components to shoot in your everyday shells then I would stick to light loads for all shooting but 25yds and back. My everyday loads for the past 3 years don`t change and they are STS hulls, Cheddite primers, 15.6 gr of 700X (408 bushing) in a 366 Pacific, that may be a 26 in a Mec, Claybuster 1 oz wads, 1 oz #8 shot (any kind or mixed with reclaimed - doesn`t matter to me). Yes, buy in bulk to save money, after all, thats why you went to reloading ! Last time I checked, this load would cost me $3.25 per box with my last cost of components. Good Luck .

17. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

GUY The loading Data I use works for me it works great Titegroup Powder 16.2grs Rem TGT-12 wad or Downrange DRRT-12 Replacement REM primer STS or Nitro or Gun Club Hulls 7.5 shot. The only thing I change is when it is warm outside I will go to 8 shot for 16yds and the downrange wad. Also if you want to shoot a 1oz load there is only a .2 grain of powder difference between 1 1/8 oz of shot to 1oz loads you don't have to change the powder bushing just the shot bushing I have broke annie targets and meat shoot targets with this set up. Also have a 1oz load with 7.5 shot it is bumped up to 1290fps it is in the hogdon book data and if you want to hit annie or meat shoot targets that are out there and starting to fall it does the job.

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I believe initially I'll try my best to replicate the 1 1/8 oz factory loads I've been shooting for the last three years--Winchester AA, Wal-Mart Win. 100packs, REOs, and Estates all in #8 shot, for all three disciplines.

I'd like to start off with the same primers, wads, powder, and shot at least for my first buy--understanding that this limits me to my AA and STS hulls. Maybe someone will want to trade for my Fed Golds...

I'll later experiment with lighter loads once I get some bench time under my belt just to see what they feel and perform like for me as I've never tried any.

When I took advantage of the rebates at the last Grand I maxed out every flat I could buy across the three manufacturers. It was then I decided to keep the hulls and try reloading this winter.

I've bought the books, have a good friend who has loaded in the past (1980s) as a neighbor that wants to help get me going (I worry he may not be current on the latest components) and the advice from youall and some trusted shooting friends that are very experienced that I'm sure will help.

Thanks for the offer Osker--I'll get back with you my friend.

Guy

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Guy, to exactly duplicate those factory loads will require unnecessary comittment. If its only fps then go for it. Are you going to be duplicating 1200 fps shells then? If so that is the data you'll be receiving.

Have you bought a reloading manual yet?

Hey when is or was your birthday? Seems that we're in the realm thereof.

Keep the Gold Medal hulls and I'll trade you out at the Grand.

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Guy, one other item I hope you strongly consider when choosing your powder.

Alliant stepped up to help when one of our buddies needed help with a donation. Where was Hogdgon?????????????? Iam surpried old Quacker recommended their powder...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.