1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Comment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have just read an article in my latest edition of TrapshootingUSA. It has an article in it that relates to reloading data; written by Tom Ceretto. The crux of this article dwells on light trap loads. (7/8 oz-1oz loads) One suggested load interested me; as I load a similar load. It states a suggested load consisting of: 12Ga. STS hull, Rem. 209 primer, 21.5 Grains of Red Dot, 1 oz. shot and a Rem. TGT 12 or DRRT12 wad. Now I shoot this load for my 16 yard loads all the time. However, my powder drop is 17.5 grains and not 21.5 grains of Red Dot and/or Promo. (a 4 grain difference) My question is this powder load recommendation out of line?? Ed

2. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I just checked Alliant's site and 21gn is a 1310fps velocity creating 10,700psi. To me this is pushing higher than I prefer run my pressure but it should be just fine.

John MI

3. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

ED Go on Alliant powders web site and go into there loading data and you punch in the load and it will bring up you're load and his he is loading a 1310 fps and a little more being 21.5grs 1oz, loads are aloud to be 1325 fps ATA rule 1290 fps for 1 1/8oz and 1350 for 7/8oz he is at near max fps maybe he was loading that for sporting clays or annies or buddy shoots. Pat.

4. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

JOHN You beat me to it I just hit the send button later then you did.

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

21.5 grains of Red Dot is a waste of powder.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

esoxhunter

I would think that the listed load is overkill and not one I'd be using. It's borderline for pressure and velocity is way more than required for 16's. I wouldn't have much faith in the author if that load was listed as a "Light" 1oz target load. It's three or four grains of powder more than what I'd consider appropriate. Your load using 17.5 grains of powder is a good choice.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mr Waalkes stated it perfectly. Cerretto must not shoot a lot of trap.

Don Verna

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Wonder who it is and when will we be reading about his gun blowing up and not understanding why?

Jerry

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used that load in 1 oz loads for games for several years. It shoots sofetr than you may think and is very fast, Have not blown any gun up yet. I also know several others who use it

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Back in the olden days, before the introduction of plastic wads and hulls, we used 21 gr. Red Dot with the nitro card/felt filler wads available at that time...mid 50/early 60s.

After plastic wads came in, it was reduced to ~18 grains or so.

How old was this article?

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It is a new article written in the current issue of Trapshooting USA. It is definitely not an outdated article. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tom ceretto

tom ceretto reloading