1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Cheap Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I reload Gun Clubs with good results using the same components as I use in reloading STS hulls. Can this be done with the Winchester and Federal bargain hulls, as well...i.e. using the same components as the premium hulls that I reload? I'm particularly concerned about the wads...are the hulls of the cheap shells configured the same as the premium shell of the same brand?

Thanks!

WNCRob

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't know about the Remington Gun Club hull but the Federal Top Gun hull has a thinner case wall compared to a Federal Gold Medal. The Top Gun hull needs a wad that will seal in the bigger inside diameter hull. If you stick with a wad designed for a straight wall hull you will be o.k.

I know that most reload the Remington Gun Club hull with the same components that they use in the Remington STS hull or the Winchester AA hull.

Jim Skeel

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have reloaded all 3 that you mention. The gun clubs load just like STS and I think that they last a little longer before you start getting splits in the crimps than their shiny high cost brothers. The Fed Top Guns do pretty well also as long as you use a wad for a straight walled hull AND keep an eye on the base wad for deterioration. I usually got 4 - 5 loads on them before starting to have crimp issues. The Winchester Universals I loaded just like the HS AAs and maybe got 1 - 2 loads before crimp problems.

--- Chip King ---

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Reload the Top Gun brand only 1 time, the paper basewad starts to come apart and break up. Hold the case up to a light and the you can see the basewad starting to deform.

Wayne

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Same here, have reloaded all 3.

I use Claybuster clones of Federal and Remington wads for Federal/Estates and Gun Clubs and get a pretty decent looking shell.

As far as Universals, again, WW wad or clone, but I like others just can't get a good looking crimp.

Loading mostly Gun Clubs and Federals/Estates. Load Gun Clubs up to 4 times, and Federals/Estates 1 time.

Biggest problem with stell based hulls is they can stick and fail to eject in some guns, even after being resized.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

"WHY"??? Life's too short to spend my time reloading steel bases shells. If I'm going to spend my time loading, its nothing but brass for me. Thats one of biggest reasons to load in the first place. I believe that long term use of steel base shells are hard on the breach face of your shotgun and hard on the ejectors as well. Not to mention the resizer of your loader as well. So I'm not just saving 50 or 75 cents on a box of reloads over steel based economy. I'm saving money and saving my guns from damage as well!!! I'll buy Nobel Sport primers instead of Win. to save money "Yes" but not pinch penny's on the hulls. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Creeker, Yes they are, and must be used until the hull wear out. "Big Deal" So you buy a Rem. STS for 4 cents and load it 8 times before you toss. That's l/2 cent for each time you load it. You'll save more than that with the Nobel's Sports or Cheddites or a couple of the other economy type primers will save you the difference no problem. For 12 l/2 cents a box it does not pay for me to bend down and pick up these hulls so I can load and toss for each load. The gun clubs "may" be OK to load multible times but the others are load once and toss. Many Shooters have been buying the 5 flats (STS-Win AA)for the last 2-3 years to shoot at their big shoots and save hulls to reload. With the 2 dollar rebate you can get the price below 4 cents apiece if you buy right and no shipping fees. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've had good luck with the GCs but since so many shooters leave them on the ground, there is no reason to reload them more than once. I pick up 2 for every one I leave.

The Federal Top Guns don't crimp well for me. I get 2 or 3 out of 100 that pop up. Same with the Winchester Universals.

9. bob w 1945

bob w 1945 TS Member

As a reloader for over 30 years, I don't see the problem. I started with a Mec single stage, graduated to a Mec turret model, and finally made a but on A PW800B. I use AA. RXP, Federal papers, all loaded with CCI 209 primer, Claybuster clone and Red Dot powder. Never had a problem with this formula.
    I stopped usinf Estates to reload because they required too much effort to seat in the die, and too much effort to eject when finished/

Good luck shooting!!
    Bob W.

10. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

I've been reloading the pink federal top gun hulls for my wife, because she's a girl and the hulls are pink. Initially, I was getting 4+ reloads from each hull with no problems, but observed on some of the reloads that the crimps were opening up. Now I only reload them three times before I pitch them.

Out of the STS, Nitro's, Double A's, and Gun Clubs that I've reloaded, the Gun Clubs hold up just as good as the other hulls that I've reloaded.

I load the STS, Nitro's, Double A's, Gun Clubs as 17grains Red Dot, Down Range XL-1 wad, Winchester 209 or Cheddite 209 primers.

I load the Top Gun's with 17 gns red dot, Clay Buster 12SO clone wad, Winchester or cheddite 209 primers.

Mark H

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Like warpspeed said, with all the cheep hulls free for the taking, why reload them more then one time? I prefer the Federal top gun/ walmart cheepies due to the straight wall type case. I load them one time and put a pretty steep taper on them. The plastic is thin but they are very consistant over the crony. I just like to not pick up empty hulls when shooting for a score. Jeff

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have been loading cheapies, including Eurotrash hulls, for many years.

I have a large stash of Diana hulls, both paper and plastic. Rios are very popular in my area, so I get them too.

Using the components that fit the hull is the key to good performance. I load them once and toss them.

I generally give a collected stash of "good" hulls, STS and AA, to folks who prefer them. Some presses are not set up to load all hulls. The Mec 9000 series seems to size all hulls with impunity.

I load a spectrum from 24 gram Bunker to 1250 1 1/8 oz Caps loads, and use the right stuff in the right amounts to get great loads.

I had a K-80 Unsingle with around 250,000 rounds through it, virtually all with cheapie hulls. No chamber wear or damage. I see no need to change what I am doing.

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Rob -

Listen to what the majority of the people here are saying. Pick up once fired cheapies, load once and let 'em fly. These are all I use for doubles anymore. To much time spent trying to get my empties in my pouch and grab two new shells and stuff them in the gun (in the correct holes) while trying to look at targets. Reloading those things is like trying to get 5000 more miles out of a set of balding tires. Sure, it will probably be ok, but what if it isn't? The possible negative results negate any savings.

JK

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The idea of tossing them after one loading means you always put good components into a hull that is not worn out.

I put empties in a hull pouch, but dump them in the trash.

If I pick up multi fired STS hulls, for example, I inspect them, load the good ones once, and toss them.

Easier to load once fired cheapies.

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

Shooting Coach has the right idea,"why put good components in a worn out hull".

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
loading cheap winchester hulls

reload cheap whinchester hulls

reloading cheap winchester hulls