1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Bench

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljutic73, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I built mine out of spruce 2X6's for the legs and frame and 2X12's for the work surface....I then screwed the whole thing to the wall studs...I have a Ponsness 800 and Dillon 450 presses bolted to it and they don't budge.

2. John 53

John 53 Member

That depends on the height of the stool or chair you are going to sit on while you are reloading. They come in all heights, and if you are on a tall one, you will need a tall bench.

Pick out your chair, and then put your loader on top of a table with the chair in front of it. Then shim the loader up to the height that feels comfortable to you. It is best to start with a short table so you can build up to find the right height for you. Once it feels right, take a height measurement. One size will definatly not fit all. Good luck.

John

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I built mine with a top height of 44 inches. Since I also reloaded metallic rifle and pistol cartidges, I tried to come up with a compromise for the two types of presses. I like a tall stool rather than a chair so that moving around is easier/faster. When my back is hurting getting in and out of a low chair is difficult. With that height you can also load shells standing up if you get tired of sitting. I put shelves under it and ended up with a lot of storage. The down side is that the large sized shot bottles are pretty high when you fill them with shot. You will have to have the right funnel, or you will be holding that shot bag up high for a long time. Good Luck

4. Robb

Robb Member

Make it so your top tilts just slightly to the back. When spills happen they are contained.

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Or you might try a piece of carpet and cut it to shape to catch spills etc.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use the work benches they sell at Home Depot. Heavy duty and ready to assemble. HMB

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Costco sells a laminated hardwood bench that is really hard to beat. ( 39" high by 8 ft long)I think mine was less than $200. I posted photos of it on the reloading site where you can see mine & many others http://www.thehighroad.us/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos are before I had all the loaders mounted

8. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Had to run down to the basement and check. Height is 43".

I bought a "second/scratch&dent" 6'0" long counter-top at the local Lowes/HomeDepot store, I dont remember which. Used simple 2"X4"'s and doubled them up for the legs, and added a shelf under the top about a foot off the floor, I keep wads on.

I ran a couple 2"X4"'s up the back and made "arms" extending out over the top to hang a 4' florescent light. I have my MEC-9000 and an older MEC-Grabber mounted to this bench. The 9000 takes care of the 1-1/8 cap-loads, while the Grabber is set for 1-oz loads.

Cost??? I really didnt keep good track, but I'm confident I do not have over $120.00 into the project. Works great, built in less than an afternoon.

9. Kerz

Kerz Member

Jim
    Way too clean! Could be a photo opt for a magazine.
    What a nice reloading/gun room
    Vic

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

very nice Jim

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

If I could shoot as "clean" as I reload.........watch out

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Nice set-up Jim. After seeing that I think I'll take the effort to reorganize some. My set up is nice but, that's real nice. Great Pics, thanks for a few new ideas. Good Shooting!

13. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I made mine using unfinished Oak base cabinets from Mernards then cut the buttom off 2 inches. Mark Mauch

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My bench is 32" high. I prefer to stand in front of my machines.

The bench has quick change mounts for the Mec 9000's, a Dillon 1050, 650, and RCBS single stage setup with primer seater and powder measure stand.

It is bolted to floor and wall studs, and is extremely stable. The more stable your bench is, the better.

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

27" high but the height of the chair or your standing measurement is the best for you. What ever is comfortable for you.

This one is two thickness of 3/4" ply sanded on one side, cleated to the wall studs, and one purchased leg.

Rock

Jim

16. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

Jim Miller well done! Now a new goal is born for me.

JIm what is the finish on your floor? polished concrete? Vinyl? or paint? can not tell from the pics.

Thanks!

RidefastShootstraight

17. TjayE

TjayE Member

The floor looks like Gray Epoxy paint. Jim, let us know. I wish I could be as organized as you have your reloading room. Tom

18. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have my relaoding bench the same height as my cabinet table saw! 33 or 34 inches. That way I can get some dual use if I have a long piece of wood or sheet stock, the relaoding bench at the same height is helpfull. bruce

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Cugancigar,
    I bought two of the same benches. They are a good value. I only have the Spolar mounted so far as my reloading room is "under construction".

I noticed you have quite an assortment of bushings lined up.

Don Verna

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I inherited my wifes old computer desk when she got her new laptop, works great, has lots of storage space, shelves, drawers, cubby holes, etc. I put it on casters so that when I do my usual (stupid) things I can roll it out & clean up. also the price was right, (GET THIS THING OUT OF MY ROOM). best bench i ever had, don't know what took me so long to figure that out. (Duh, not the sharpest tack in the pack). lots of other good ones here also. Also see them sitting at the curb for trash man occasionaly. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2x12 reloading bench