1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Bench

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD

JRD TS Member

Need some ideas for a new reloading bench. Bench will be dedicated to shotshell only. Pics would be great. Thanks

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mine cosists of a couple of cabinet bases and a counter top. The counter top is 8' long. I reload on one end and use the other end for gun servicing and cleaning. Very inexpensive to build and works well.

ec90t

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a no longer needed, cheap computer desk and converted it to a bench for my MEC 9000H. I mounted the loader over one end where there was a small shelf under the loader, cut a hole for primers to drop through, and put a huge peanut can under the hole. Then took a door knob saw and cut a 3" circular hole in the desk top (no, not the computer desk top) and installed a PVC collector, threaded fitting, and glued pipe which takes the loaded shell directly to a cardboard box under the desk at the other end. I use a big enough box that would easily hold 1000 shells but never wait that long to box and secure.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/rdodd/Loader1.jpg

Here's another shot:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Not beautiful, not something to park your truck on for an oil change, but it's been in operation this way for 10 years and survived two moves by removing the loader and un-thread the down pipe for the move then put it back together. Sure was cheap!.....Bob Dodd

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, drat, musta' flinched, here's the first one:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I just went to Sears and bought a $99.00 work bench with two drawers. I mounted my 9000G, drilled a hole in the top, so the completed shells drop into the one drawer and put my scale, books, etc in the other drawer. Works like a champ.

JON

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

I bought a metal office desk 6' long, used for $10, drawers are great for bars, spare parts, componants etc. loader and sizer are just the right level.
    Butch H

7. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

Go to the site below-------plans there from the reloading ass. that I used when I built mine 15 yrs ago. It is still in heavy use and is very stout--plus it looks like a reloading bench.

http://www.dennymac.com/bench/

8. JRD

JRD TS Member

Jim, now that is a reloading setup. Are those PW's?

9. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have a MEC quick change base that holds both my 9000 and Grabber. It's placed in a plastic cafeteria tray to catch any spills.
    Primers drop into a 5 gal. bucket via a plastic tube, shells drop down a tube into a dishpan with a rubber pad for a cushion.
    Countertop and 24" cabinet base from Home Depot.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's mine. I was hesitant to put it up, But I'm confident Shootlow will post a picture of his really messy loading area and save me from disgrace.

BTW, Does anyone have a loader that will handle a 105??

Jim

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I am always stopping by pawn shops and thrift stores to see what they have. I can pick up a nice file cabinet for $20 and a heavy desk for $30 or less. My best buy was a HON fireproof file cabinet for $9.99 and they helped me load it. They had the drawers in upside down and thought it was broken. I could have an expolsion in it and it wouldn't hurt the surroundings. ROFL I use a old metal government desk with three drawers per side which stores and lot of parts and tools. Nothing to take a picture of like the bench of the year applicants above. Nice benches guys!

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Jim101-what kind of loader does it take to load that big shell in the center? Do you put 71/2's or 8's in it? LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

PS I'm just getting ready to set up my loading bench(es) in my new garage/storage building so I'll post when I get it done.

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Those are some awesome reloading areas !!! Jim Miller....I can't help but to notice the GIANT Rapala Lure hanging from the ceiling !! LOL !! How cool !! In addition...that is one impressive reloading set-up you have !!...Uncle Sam, Pa.

14. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

BDodd - Absolutely brilliant plan. Simple, economical and a great way to recycle the old desk. I really like the PVC pipe arrangement to collect the finished shells. I have a few old desks like that that I now have a secondary use for. Tip-of-the-Hat to you, sir!

skip

15. atashooter

atashooter Member

16. BP348

BP348 Active Member

ATA,

Where did you buy your bench? That's what I had in mind when I thought about a reloading bence.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could find an old school desk? That's a pretty good idea too.

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

You folks are soooo organized I feel like a piker. With luck, I can swipe clean an area large enough to work. But then, I have always been under the belief that a clean desk is the sign of a sickie. Mine looks like I work there! Now, where did I hide my primers?

Big Jack

18. atashooter

atashooter Member

The red bench with the loaders on it is a Popular Mechanics bought at WalMart. The grey is actually a shelf kit from lowe's, and I used the 2 halves seperate. The back shelf of the red bench I built from a sheet of 3/4 MDF. Out of 1 sheet of MDF, I made the back, and had enough to doublestack and make a thick top 1 1/2" thick. The top that came with the bench was 3/4 pressboard that died after the first bottle of powder solvent spilled on it.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks Skip - It was just as you describe; why throw it away? It can become a loading bench. The beauty of the PVC pipe delivery system is that it's glued where it doesn't matter but threaded parts through the desk top so it can be unscrewed and transported to the next home safely. I see several others using the PVC pipe now in some of the pictures.

A second loader is in my garage; a Grabber mounted on the rear, right side of a piece of 3/4" plywood that's roughly 18" wide by 24" deep - maybe less but it's at least 30 steps away... and with that to stabilize the loader, I can move it to a good place for loading or back to a secure place between sessions. It's an old (original owner) '76 Grabber and had a short stand unlike the modern ones that stand tall for more space for dead primer trays. I solved that by getting longer hold down bolts and installed spacers between the wood base and the loader so it stands up off the wood higher for convenience. There's all sorts of good ideas only limited to the owners....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. atashooter

atashooter Member

BDodd is right, as you go along you will find or make things that help out. Like below is a deal I made up,... when I had to cut a shell open, I'd get the shot, wad and powder out, then I had a hard time punching the primer out because I had to fumble around the collet sizer, and then it got mixed up in all the used primers and I had to sit and find it. So I made up a small punch gizmo that gets them out...

[​IMG]

Simply insert hull and punch out good primer...

[​IMG]

Watch... I should have Patented this thing... I'll probably see it in Trap & Field for 39.95 next month....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

convert a desk to reloading bench