1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Bench Ideas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dsid01, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I am going to be building a reloading bench very soon and wanted some advice on what everyone has found works best, as far as height size and configuration pics would be great if available. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

dsid01, In a pinch, I converted a cheap computer desk into a loading desk and after 15 years or more, it's still my main piece of equipment. This was for a hydraulic MEC machine and the desk was one that had a small shelf on the right and under the desk top. I bored a large hole under the loader and expended primers drop through that hole and into a large nut can below on the small shelf. I bored a 4" hole in line with the chute where loaded shells drop from the loader and installed 4" PVC pipe and angles so that loaded shells drop through the desk top, down an angled run, and into a large cardboard box. I can load 3 or 400 shells in a hurry, pull the box out from under the desk and then spend as much time boxing the shells as I did loading them. I have pictures if you want to see it. This was a very inexpensive set up but probably wouldn't be as useful if you prefer standing at a human powered loader. This is in my garage and I've added many shelves for garage stuff and components in sensible areas.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Ahh, the old show me your reloading bench thread. Pics of formica countertops, plywood, and craftsman benches are sure to follow. Each showing a different way to funnel the shells down into a box or bucket as they emerge completed.

[​IMG]

Look up the old threads, you will see many fatastic works of art that will surely shame what you call a reloading room. Some are so organized you would swear Martha Stewart reloads.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For my general workbench, which now doubles as my reloading bench, I used 2x4s and doubled 3/4" plywood. The bench is 8' wide, 28" deep with a lower shelf 12" off floor and top 34" off the floor. I sit on a bar-height stool, but if I stand its also comfortable.

Now from time to time, Sears has a sale on their Craftsman-brand work benches that have a wood/hardboard top with a drawer or two, at a pretty decent price point. Something to consider.

Jay Spitz

5. tomk2

tomk2 Member

The sears tables are also about the size you need for one press and accessories. Thus, it is modular if you end up with more than one press. I have three presses, each on one craftsman table. The room can be rearranged as needed, a real plus if you end up moving.

6. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Take a look at this bench. I built one of these. Mark R. http://www.dennymac.com/bench/

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What the hell is wrong with you jim, geez. You will end up like that guy with the fancy high end kitchen cabinet reloading room, Man I gotta load on a bench in my moms garage! Aint got no rooms for that in my house.

8. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Check out above web site. Very strong will last forever.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PLTT I started building that bench LOL. It is heavy duty. Only problem I got caught trying to install it at moms. No really jim good job. I just have 0 space and now with child on the way NO space. A while back someone posted some very nice pics of a custom job they where building.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Basement, you got one of those! man I gotta build a garage!

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Jim, Holy Smoley what a nice set up. Bill

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Was out at Downrange Mfg. on Friday this week. They had a Spolar Hydraulic bolted to a W.W. Grainger workbench. Kevin used a 4" X 3" PVC reducing bushing to drop the finished shells through the table top to the bin below. It had a shelf below to handle the pump and room for another loader or supplies on the tale top. Nice and heavy setup. Omaha

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jim, I noticed all the trophies on the wall above the loaders and wondered if they were from Homes Beautiful, as I have never seen such a nice clean, orderly reloading room such as this. LOL. That is very nice and hope mine will some day look half that good. I see you solved the problem of how to keep up with wads. I did it the easy way and put hangers from the ceiling and separate them by type and gauge but it cuts down on the light. Jackie B.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Consider going to a Menards, Home Depot, etc and buying a damaged metal door-- for about 5 bucks- might have a dent in one side

Mount this on any frame and you have a very strong loading surface- easy to clean and easy to work with

I have done this and have also done it for friends

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have a set of blueprints and instructions (step x step) for a bench from the National Reloaders Manufacturers Association. Nice looking bench. If you want a copy of the prints I'll be glad to send you a copy but I need your address. Mike.

16. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Jim- Nice set-up. Neat,clean, and simple. Just the way I like stuff. Quick question. I noticed that when your house was built, the builder, or you, not sure, chose engineered floor joists. Was this a big savings, and how are they for noise, squeaking, etc.?

I also notice that the foundation walls are either pre-cast or poured. Was this a cost savings over block, and are they dry?

Thanks. Just asking because we plan on building here pretty soon, and just mulling over options.

17. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Simple instructions. Purchase a three bedroom house. Daughter gets married. Build the cabinets and tops in the garage. Three days after daughter moves out, install said cabinets and tops in bedroom/gun room/reloading/computer room. Simple.

AJ100

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The other side.

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Guess I am a bit different than everyone else. Took a couple of 2x10's 36" long,screwed them to 2x4's on the back & sides. 2x4 legs sets the top about 25-26" off the floor. Brace the legs at the bottom with some 1x4 or 2x4. This allows the use of a comfortable kitchen type chair with a back. A small tray table with sides,set next to the bench,allows a seperate,steady platform for a scale & tools. Center the press & you have room on each side for empty hulls & wads. I use a pair of these,one for my Mecs & one for a Dillon 650 for metallics. The nice things are;portable,don't take a lot of space,cheap,fast to make,can be make into a bigger bench by using a removeable 3/4" piece of A-C plywood on top. I have used benches like this for 40 years & never had the need or urge for anything bigger. And man,are the wonderful in a small apartment. Made a bit smaller,30" with 2x8s,they hide BEAUTIFULLY in a closet.

20. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Blizzard, I had my basement poured a couple of years ago and paid the extra for water proofing, not to be confused with damp proofing. Damp proofing is when they just spray a thin coat of black sealant on the outside. Water proofing is when they actually apply a thicker material and cover it with a blue styrofoam material to protect the 'tar'.About an Eleven Hundred dollar added cost. Of course inside and outside perimeter tiles and heavy plastic sheeting under the floor. I had to go with a sump pump as there was not enough fall to the catch basin. I also installed a ' Basement Watch Dog' back up sump pump. I would consider it the Cadillac of back up systems. A draw back to gravity basement floor drains especialy if the fall is not great, there is always a possibility of the ditch or tile you are draining into backing up and then you have a flooded basement. In fact just after I moved in, the tile under my street plugged up but becasue I was forcing the water with the sump pump and of course they both have check valves the water just flowed across the street into the other catch basin. As far as the engineered joists they allow for greater spans with fewer posts and I beams required. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.