1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading bench-compact and cheap!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=000_0003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Just thought i'd share with you guys my recently completed reloading bench (please excuse my dark picture, the batteries in my camera had to muster their last bit of energy for this pic).

I started with a bench grinder stand from Harbor Freight (similar to northern tool i believe if you don't know what harbor freight is). Cost was around $15. The main column was thin welded pipe, so filled it was concrete to add stability (don't know if it makes any difference, but it made me feel better to know that I made it as stable as possible). Then I cut a 2" thick piece of oak from an old tabletop, and screwed this to the top of the bench grinder stand. Next step was to get the MEC jig fixture so I can quickly interchange my 9000Gs (I could have drilled holes and used bolts like normal, but I figured the jig was going to be alot quicker, cleaner looking, and convenient). Cost for the jig was $35. On the left and right side of the press I screwed rubbermaid shoe boxes, hulls on the left, wads on the right. Then I lag bolted the stand to the floor for added stability. The I put a PVC chute on the wall for the shells to go down into a 3 gallon pail. Total cost was under $60 for everything (except the press LOL). I'll admit, this wasn't a completely original idea, I stole the concept from the Frankford Arsenal Portable Reloading Stand that Midway sells (I would have just bought that, but I thought i could build something that'd be more geared to what I needed which I believe I did), the one from midway was more for metallic reloading. There is a little wiggle in the top when you run the press, but its only maybe 1/16" in each direction, and since the mec isn't exactly built to close tolerances, you'll probably never even know.

Hope this can help someone else who has space constraints like me.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Where's the beer holder?

Gne J

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

No one else can ever say --i dont have the room--

Bill

4. mikee

mikee TS Member

Excellent job, well done and thanks for sharing. Did you ever consider braceing it to a side wall?,maybe this would cure your wiggle.

5. skeet_man

mike- that was a thought after I got it all assembled, if the wiggle ends up bothering me, i'll probably go that route, or i might just live with it LOL

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No wiggle here. LOL, Jeff

7. skeet_man

and i'll bet yours cost a tad more than $60 :-D LOL I will say though, that is far and away the most impressive reloading setup i've ever seen.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

That McDonald's cup adds allot of class to that high end set-up Jeff.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Nice setup Skeet Man. Will anyone here admit to tipping the bottles back on a Mec without the cap in the shot bottle? Especially with a tall one just filled! Ha Ha you cannot possibly react fast enough to stop the flow. Skeet, may I make a suggestion for your setup? Find an old cookie sheet or plastic serving tray and mount it under your Mec jig fixture. Spills will happen and better to catch them rather than the floor. On my setup the press is mounted to a piece of plywood with a curb of some lattice stock. I have a hole drilled in a corner and remove a little plug and sweep shot and powder through it into a wire kitchen strainer in a bowl. The shot stays in the strainer and the powder goes through into the bowl, both to be put back in the bottles. Bill

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bigbore, aren't the lower cabinets in your way when you pull your chair up to load? ( I'm jealous and trying to find fault with your setup ). If your like me, you spend way more time in that room than any other room in the house.

Nice set up Bigbore.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Old steel office desks work good plus you have drawers for the shells and primers to fall into. (holes required)

Usually 25 bucks or so if you find them.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheap reloading bench
harbor freight bench grinder reloading
harbor freight bench grinder stand for reloading
harbor freight bench grinder stand for reloading press
harbor freight reloading bench
harbor freight tool stand reloading bench

portable reloading bench harbor freight

reloading bench harbor freight