1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading and Gauge Changes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am currently reloading only 12 ga on a 800+ and an older Spolar as a back up machine. I am planning to shoot sub gauges in 20, 28 and 410 having just bought a set of Kolar sub-gauge tubes for my Beretta 682. Can any one give me any advice related to the ease of gauge change on either the 800 or the Spolar or would I be jsut as well off to buy one or more used MEC's in the various gauges and set them up as dedicated to the sub-gauges and avoid the hassle of changing gauges. I doubt that I will ever do great volumes of shooting in sub gauges so cost and ease of doing this is an issue.

Thanks for any help.
    Doug

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

The 800+ takes about 15 minutes +/- and is dead simple. The spolar is faster yet I think.

The cheapest way on the 800+ is to buy a 900 tooling set and swap out the stations. Take a few measurements so you can duplicate your adjustments. I change the tooling head myself and find it to be easy - but I do know a chap who just changes the actual stations and claims it is as fast or faster and about $100 / gauge cheaper.

I usually try to time it so that I do it when I'm low or out of shot or powder. I don't really hurry it along either. The only issue I have is supporting the primer tray when you disconnect it from the head. after 3 years my primer tray bent and broke at the tray/trak weld. I'm still not sure how to support the tray, and there is no good way to empty the thing. It is best if you also time it so that there are no primers in the tray itself.

john

3. JRW

JRW Member

I load 12, 20,and 28 on my spolar about 5 minutes to change gauges. It loads nice shells in all gauges. Jerry

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy the used Mec's. That way the machines will be set up and ready to go when ever you need it. I would get progressive ones like the Model 650. HMB

5. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I used to have a bunch of used mec machines. It was really nice to just sit down and load. Then I got a great buy on and old 800B for 12 ga and bought all the updates. Then I found a good buy on an 800+. I then bought the different ga tool heads. Eventually I sold all the mec machines and bought 3 more used 800+ machines & sold the different ga tool heads. I can load a case of any ga ammo in 20 minutes or less. I have the machines drop the loaded rounds into 5 gallon pails.

The Mec's are a good machine when you're first learning and if you don't want to spend more $ on PW or Spolar or other progressive reloading equipment. Once you really know what you're doing there's nothing like the PW's or Spolar machines.

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Gauge change on my 800+ takes me around 5 - 6 minutes, and I'm taking my time. The longest part of the changeover is pulling the pins and swapping out sizing dies. But it's hardly a problem, although my regarding loading as a contemplative activity might have something to do with my outlook.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to change gauges on spolar realoder