1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading and blowing up shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Gary, I'm not trolling or trying to be a smartass, but I honestly believe it should be tested. A sacrificial gun loaded with one of your shells, a gun vice and a very long piece of string. I'm not kidding...guns and limbs might be saved should you be on to something. Were it not for me living half the world away I even have a severely beaten up mod 58 remmy I'd give you. Those who are so inclined feel free to flame away. Kind regards-Graham.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It would go bang and probably even break the target. 8-10KPsi will move that wad out no problem. Sounds like you probably already have shot some like that.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those guns that come apart, in many pieces, when they blow up, probably had a shell where the powder detonated. Minor blow ups are usually the result of a barrel obstruction. HMB

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Gary, sounds like your wad guide needs changed. You can't tell by feeling or viewing while in the machine. Take out the wad guide and carefully hand push a wad into it. You more than likely will find a crack in it.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Wads stuck as described would likely offer little or no resistance when the shell is fired. There is a lot more pressure when the powder charge is ignited and things start to expand. I wouldn't shoot them, just because I don't shoot shells with any issues I can notice. I'd be more interested in finding what caused them to seat like that and correcting it.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Obturated. Great word now added to my lexicon.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the wad guides on a PW and how sensitive they may be with wad heights. With my MECS, mkstephen has a part of the answer. The other part is the height of the wad ram and how soon it contacts the wads base. I've had to adjust both the wad ram and the wad guide to prevent the wads from entering the guide too soon.

Wads aren't molded equal with some being slightly over sized at the base while some are flimsy between the base and the bottom of the shot cup.It's these type of wads that will cause you troubles unless you make the necessary adjustments to both the tube and wad guide location. The wad guide fingers must enter the hull prior to their beginning to spread out.

Cocked bases usually results in a blooper load, not always. Some wad bases do fit extremely tight in tapered cases depending on how much powder is used. Light charges of powders and the wad will be tight.

Hap

8. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Hope you don't reload for anyone who owns a K-80 :>}

Switch of Rem wads and don't look back.

9. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

Just my experience,

League shooting, loaded my BT 99 when it was my turn snap, nothing.

I opened the gun and no shell was in the chamber, so I loaded another shell.

Pulled the trigger, hell of a bang and I broke the target.

After we were done, I had an empty shooting bag, I had, had a 20 gauge shell in the pouch. It was gone.

I believe there was a 20 gauge shell that went through my 99 in front of the 12 gauge shell.

I would not recommend this test to anyone, but it is my belief that very few obstructions in the barrel that will move can cause a barrel to blow up.

I do believe that a fatigued or cracked barrel will cause a blow up.

Just my experience,

Jim

10. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I spoke with someone that had the misfortune of loading a shell that blew his gun up. It didn't blow the gun apart, but it did seize it up to a point that it wouldn't open and destroyed it. Fortunately, nobody was injured and this occurred many years ago.

The cause was believed to be an issue with lubrication used on the wad guide. The lubrication was sprayed on the wad guide while loading shells and some of it may have made it's way into a shell during the loading process. The addition of the foreign substance (the lubrication) may have created a much larger explosive charge.

NEVER, NEVER, use any lubrication near your loader, hulls, powder, wads, etc when reloading or at any time.

What would happen if you were spraying your gun down after a day of shooting and some of the lubricant entered an empty shell to be reloaded later?

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- The NRA did a series of tests with a 20ga shell lodged in the barrel of a 12ga gun. None of the barrels blew the first time but all were damaged with a bulge that could blow years later with normal loads. Check your barrel carefully.

bobcatv- Typically oil will degrade powder, not enhance it.

Pat Ireland

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use the right lube and you won't have a problem. I like Lee metalic cartridge resizing wax. HMB

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Many reloaded primer failures are caused by oil sprayed around an open tray of primers. Kills them dead.

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

Pat, I realize oil can affect a powder, but what about the propellant that is pushing the oil out of the can? I know the propellant in Aqua Net hair spray sure does power my potato gun and send the tater flying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blowing up a shotgun

shotgun blowing up fprum

what causes reloaded shotgun shells to blow up shotgun