1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 46_trap, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

I have not reloaded for 15 years. But the P/W 900 Elite still works.I was using Red Dot, but my fellow shooters convinced me to use CLAY. Here is what I am reloading. 17.7 gn of clay, Remington STSP remier Primers fig-8 wad, 1 1/16 oz #8 EAGLE Shot in a gold medal Premire Hulls and an Estate hulls. I use to load for speed, I still do, but want to go SLOW! Think that I am wrong! At 76, I can use all the help I can get, jump in here and give the loads that you use.
    I am shooting a fake K-80! a 682 Gold with an added 1 inch rib. and a realy high comb. have it set 70-30.Stll have 2 BT-99, with Wright IM Tubes, one is 32 and the other 34.
    Looking any advise I can get!
    Ed Keefer aka the geezer

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ed, I too like Clays powder, as its has very consistant drops that shoot the same time and time again. Its seems like a softer recoil than Red Dot and 700X to me. I'm not going to look up your listed load above. You need to look it up yourself. I don't think that a Rem. fig. 8 wad would be the best choice in a Fed. Gold Metal Hull. Thats putting a tapered wad in a strait walled hull. Might not be the best gas seal. Go To Hodgdon.com and get on there website and look at all the loads with all the different component combo's out there and pick one with the speed you like and the most components that you already have. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

The load 17.7 gr of clay remington primer fig 8 wad was taken from the hodgens manual. The only thing I changed was shot charge from 1 1/8 to 1 1/16.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Three big changes in the last 15 years to consider -

Clone wads,

Promo powder (cleaner than your Red Dot of 15 years ago),

Imported primers.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I too would advise against using a wad intended for a tapered hull in a straight walled hull.

It'll work. Its just not optimum.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Geezer...

Drop your load to 7/8-1oz and it will lighten the recoil even more and you'll still have 300+ shot moving out the muzzle. Pair the lighter shot drop with a lighter powder drop for nice even patterns - Clays is some sweet powder!

ANY Advice - call the eye doctor and check your eyes for cataract, glaucoma and/or update any glass/contact prescription - checking the eyeballs may do more for your shooting than anything else...

regards,

Jay

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

46 Trap:

I'm not clear on which hull you are refering to when you say "gold medal premier hull". Is it a Remington STS Premier or Federal Gold Medal?

8. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Switch over to Remington STS hulls and drop 15.7 of clays, Win 209 primer, WAA12SL wad, 1oz.shot, for 7100 LUP and 1125 FPS. Great soft shooting load. GaryL.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ed, If you want to shoot a more comfortable load try shooting the one I like. Try loading a one oz. load with clays powder fired at 1l80 fps. This is a very nice load that will crush any target. You have to find your favorite load yourself. That's half of the fun. Good Luck on your journey and Break=em all. Jeff

10. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

Afer looking thru my records, I found the load that I was using 15 years ago
    However instead of using red dot, I am now using clays.
    Powder 17.7 clay Primer cci 209 Wad claybuster sub for 12SO Shot1/16 oz of #8 hard shot.
    This gives me 374 rounds pe bag of shot
    Ed Keefer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.