1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Activ hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leftex, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I am about to start loading a bunch of Activ hulls. I've been told that they do not need to be resized. This would be great as I load on a 366. The shells will be shot in a 1100. What is the real deal here? Not having to resize seems too good to be true.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have reloaded thousands but always used a PW with a resizer so I do not know about this - they are wonderful hulls

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

leftex

Years ago I loaded several thousand Activ hulls. They could be purchased as a new component - primed or not primed. I bought mine new and unprimed.

FlaLagarto's description is correct. They were "all plastic" with no visible metal. Actually, there was a flat steel disc (completely buried in the plastic head) which provided something in which to seat the primer.

The original Activ hulls had a nasty habit of separating, that is blowing apart, about 3/4" above the base.* I never had one lodge in a barrel but I always shot them in a break guns and I always checked.

Activ came out with a new and improved version to correct the separation problem. The original and improved versions could be distinguished from each other by the size of the head stamp lettering. One was noticably larger than the other. Unfortunately, I can't recall which (large or small) lettering was the improved version. Maybe someone else remembers....

Somewhat later, Activ introduced yet a third hull with a regular metal head. I wouldn't bet the farm but I think it was a brass colored steel.

The bottom line? Unless you can determine whether your Activ hulls are the new improved or old version, I wouldn't run them thru an 1100 for love nor money.

sissy

* The separation problem sometimes happened on the very first reload but usually the second or third. After about a dozen separations, I loaded them once and dumped the empties.

I was using published recipes - Green Dot for 12 ga. and Herco for 20 ga. As always, powder drops were confirmed with a scale. My point? I wasn't blowing hulls apart with some wildcat concoction.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I found a few of these and decided to see how they would reload. Going with loads that equaled "3 Drams", I found that I could get 12 ~ 15 reloads from them. I was amazed at how well they stood up, and crimped well even with "crispy" crimp folds. Wish I had more!

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Years ago I bought several cases of Activ shells, kept the hulls and could only reload them three times as they would separate as noted above and become lodged in the barrel with potentially disastrous consequences, they load the same as Federal Gold Medals as they are deeper than Remington or AA´s.

Berettaman7

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The Activ hull doesn't need to be resized. I load them on a MEC 650 with no resize station. I have a good supply and load them 5 times before tossing them. I have had separations as noted above but only in cold weather so they are reserved for warm weather loads only. I don't use them in my semi-autos because when the separate the forward part is likely to lodge in the barrel. When it does it is very difficult to remove and could cause an accident if not noticed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge activ hull reloading recipe

activ hull reloading recipes

activ hulls for reloading