1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

When I load new AA hulls with Western wads and 16.5 grains of red dot & 1 1/8oz of shot I get a perfect shell. When I load with figure 8 replacements or down range DRA12 at 16.5 or 17.4 grains, my crimp is slightly dished in. The DRA12 is shorter than the Western. What wads are giving you great loads?

Thanks
    Dave

2. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

When I load new AA hulls with Western wads and 16.5 grains of red dot & 1 1/8oz of shot I get a perfect shell. When I load with figure 8 replacements or down range DRA12 at 16.5 or 17.4 grains, my crimp is slightly dished in. The DRA12 is shorter than the Western. What wads are giving you great loads?

Thanks
    Dave

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

AA's....

4. JenVern

JenVern TS Member

WT 12s

5. N2deep

N2deep Member

1 Oz, Dra12s, 17.5 Clays,, The DRA12s, 1 Oz and 1 1/8 oz are a tad shorter than the AAs or the westerns..

IMHO the downrange wads are great!!!!!!!!!!

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You don't specify your shot weight only powder @ 16.5 RD so I'm only guessing, but it looks like you may be loading a 1oz load, I get good crimps with CBs pink WW clone 1oz wad & also Rem TGT or CBs clone. These 2 wads will also work with 1&1\8 oz just require a little more pressure to "slightly" collapse the wad. Rem used the TGT in their factory loadings when they were using a very dense powder, bulkier powders will work better with the fig. 8 or WWs AA. Ross Puls

Edit-- whoops you did specify, I just need to learn to read & comprehend better. Anyway everybody else DID & gave good answers. 20 lashes with the old wet noodle.

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

If you line up your different wads next to each other, the key factor is the part of the shot cup that is the top of the bottom of the cup, or the part that the wad ram touches and presses the wad down into the shot shell. Now in looking at all your various wads, you may notice that they do not all line up evenly at that point. Some will be slightly higher or taller than the AA and some ever so slightly shorter.

I suspect that those that are shorter will probably result in a dished in or concave crimp, and those a tad tall may be ok or result in a convex or bulged crimp.

It does not appear to me that your powder payload is so large as to cause the wad to collapse or compress. In addition, not all hulls are the exact same overall length from the base of the brass to the top of the petals. I notice some times that one or two out of 25 may have a slight swirl crimp due to the overall height of the odd shell.

Art

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

DRA-12s with no wad pressure at all and smooth cone crimp starter.

Which press you using?

Keller

9. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I use the Duster line of wads. Green Dusters for 1 oz and blue for 1 1/8 oz. Perfect crimps in AA or Remington hulls

JohnR

10. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I second JohnR's findings. GreenDusters....

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I only use AA hulls and get a perfect shell every time. For what it's worth here's the recipe: 17.5 gr of 700x,claybuster 1118[or waa12] wad, 1 1/8 of 7.5 magnum shot, w209 primer. I use a MEC grabber. Bill

12. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

As I mentioned in the original post, I get perfect loads with the WT12. I was trying to find a wad that created a little less pressure (the WT is at 10700). Should I have any concerns at that pressure? I would like to try WAA12s but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

I am using a PW 800+.

Thanks
    Dave

13. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Windjammers usually produce lower pressures. If you want lower pressure with your recipe then drop the powder a grain or go to a different powder. There's nothing wrong with your pressure there. You're under max recommended pressures.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

claybuster cb-1118 is the same wad as waa12, I believe.Bill

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

</blockquote></I>"When I load with figure 8 replacements or down range DRA12 at 16.5 or 17.4 grains, my crimp is slightly dished in...What wads are giving you great loads?"</I></blockquote>Don't worry about a slight dish in the crimp; ballistically, it doesn't hurt anything.

Keller

16. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

I like the DRA12 over 18 gr of Promo with 1oz of shot. The shells look and perform great. However, I don't have any local shops that sell the Down Range wads at an affordable price so, I use the CB1100 and I can't seem to get 1oz of shot in there with a reliable crimp. The CB1100's work great for 7/8 oz though.

I'm loading on an 800 Plus.

17. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

At 16.5gr of RD, do you get a clean burn? If you are getting an unacceptable dish in your crimp, you might try using the 1oz wads like the AA12L,Rem TGT,Green Duster or the DR DRA12. Bill Hom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.