1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading AA HS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bbuster, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bbuster

Bbuster TS Member

After many adjustments I'm still getting a shot size hole in the center of my final crimp. Some times large enough to loose shot. Loading with a MEC 600. Wad pressure 40 lbs. start crimp set to pencil eraser gather. Loading 1oz 19.5 GD waa12SL.
    Aslo any sugestions on a softer shooting load with this hull. Thanks, Greg

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Easy fix. Adjust starter crimp, one full turn down at a time, until the hole goes away. HMB

3. Bbuster

Bbuster TS Member

Ok, Now as I adjusted the starter crimp more and more to close the hole. The crimp starter sticks on the hull. Back it off to keep it from sticking and the hole comes back. Thanks Greg

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Never had a crimp starter stick to a hull. Are we talking about the station right after the shot drop? If so put a little paste wax in the crimp starter and the sticking problem should go away. HMB

5. Bbuster

Bbuster TS Member

HMB, Yes we are talking of the same station. I'll try some cleaning and the wax. Thanks, Greg

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When using the AA hull and Green Dot, you can use the 1 1/8 oz wad and get good results with one once of shot.

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You did not say which MEC 600 you have. There are 2 old and the current model. You can download users manuals from the above site if you do not have one.

Have you adjusted the final crimp cam all the way down?

Can we assume that GD means Green Dot? Also that you have a reloading scale and 19.5 gr of GD is an average?

For 1 oz loads try using 18 gr of Red Dot. The actual recoil should be less because you are using powder. Perceived recoil is in the mind and shoulder of the shooter.

Other ways to reduce recoil is go to 16.5 gr of Red Dot for an 1150 f/s load. This should be ok for 16 yards and first shot doubles. You can also drop to 7/8 oz of shot with 16.5 gr Red Dot for a 1200 f/s load.

Jason

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have bought a fixed up 3 600jr this past summer. All where well out of adjustment. The adjustment on the crimp punch inside the final crimp station for the depth of the crimp is sometimes to deep or to shallow. The finish crimp cam is for fine tuning. It took me a few times to get them very good. I set all of the loaders to what ever shot bar was in them 1oz, 1 1/8oz with clays powder and Remington wads fig8 or tgt12. sts hulls. All 3 loaders have been sold. I then had to readjust the 2 for different hulls and components. You just have to take your time. Got pics of your shells and loader

9. Bbuster

Bbuster TS Member

Guess I'll have to keep tinkering with it. I have way to many of these AA-HS hulls to give up on them. Thanks Guys, Greg

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If it happened to me I would be adjusting the cam. I have a T handle I use for this, and it sits right next to the loader.

HM

11. Bbuster

Bbuster TS Member

Got it. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.