1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING AA 28GA WITH ALLIANT 20/28

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

I purchased some Alliant 20/28 powder instead of Unique to reload some 28ga loads.How namy grains do you need in the old style AA 28ga hulls? What bushing do you need? I have a Mec Jr. for reloading my 28ga loads.

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Go to the Allient web site and look at the reloading data for 20/28ga powder. then go to the sporting goods store and buy a scale. Use which ever bushing drops the powder charge the book says to use. Start with the bushing in the chart andd go from there. In a Mec 600 Jr you should be within one bushing up or down of the chart for a single stage press but some powder lots it could be as much as 2 bushings. Jeff

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yucon, I would go to "alliantpowder.com" website and use the rem hull as they don't have the Win. old style hull listed anymore. Not sure of your components??? The old Win. and STS's were pretty close to being the same. I would E-mail Alliant to verify any loads just to make sure though. That said here are the drops from 20/28 powder from a guide for you. #l4-12.5gr's #l5-13gr's #l6-13.8gr's. This should give you a starting/reference point. so you can have the bushings at your home when they get back to you over the long weekend. As said you "MUST" weight your powder drops!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

AA28cf hulls take substantially less Unique and Universal than the Remington hulls. I'd call Alliant before I loaded a weight recommended for for Remington hulls in a AA28cf hull. Pressures in Remington hulls are over 11,200 psi.

Alliant online has no loads listed for 20/28 powder in AA28cf hulls.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Winchester 540 or Hogdon HS-6 is the way to go in the 28guage. HMB

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

WW540 or HS6 WAS the way to go in 28 ga. I used it for 30 years but have used 20/28 for the past couple years and like it just as well if not better. It's also cheaper. I personally use 13 grains in both old AAs, new AAs and STSs. For me, it's the #16 bushing and for a MEC 600 probably the #15 bushing would be a starting point to be verified with a good scale.

Single stage MECs will drop close to what the MEC chart says because there is so much "jiggling" going on as the handle is pulled multiple times to reload one shell. That causes more compaction of the powder in the bushing during the process compared to the progressives. I always have to go at least one bushing higher in my 9000 loaders.

7. The Stive

The Stive Member

Thanks Claybrdr. That is the info that I was looking for. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.