1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading AA 2 piece hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You can load them.The only problem I have with them is I use downrange wads and an 800B loader,The downrange wad is a harder plastic than the claybuster wads that are more forgiving.The 2 piece hull has a lip that the dowmrange wad hangs up on and sometimes pops back up.It will not seat well in my loader,the claybuster wads work in the new hull.Also the plastic on the outside of the new hull is sticky and it jams up in the dies and when you apply more pressure to eject the finished shell it bulges and colapses!It depends on the loader you use.On my mec they load ok and others like them!If you can get the old hulls do it!They are flawless.PJ

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have yet to see first hand a AA coming apart. Why don't you cut a long section out of one, take a pair of pliers and see if you can pull the inner base apart form the hull. The only problem I have encountered with the new vs. the old is the new ones will crush at the base, just above the brass rim, easier than the old ones would.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wrench----Just to let you know that shot is kinda on its way back up. Its still cheaper then the $49.00 dollars a bag of a year and a half ago or so.---Matt

4. Rick12

Rick12 TS Member

I've been reloading the two piece AA hulls and have not had a problem. I use the WAA12 wads {white] for 1 1/8 oz. loads and the WAA12SL for 1 oz loads. Get the

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've seen many hulls of many different manufacturers that were loaded one too many times. That said, I have never seen a migrated AA basewad firsthand. I have loaded many thousands of them and have inspected the inside of every one of them before loading. I have no concerns about loading the newer AA hulls, except that you need to make a few adjustments in order to keep the tube from being crushed during the crimp stages. Some loaders like the Mec actually push down on the basewad during the priming operation. Some presses push the primer into the base without such support from the top. That could cause issues with any multipart hull if the basewad has loosened, or if you are trying to insert an oversized primer into a tight primer pocket. Wad selection is also important. Some wads were not designed properly for the newer AA hull. It's best to stick with what you know will work. Winchester wads and their direct clones usually don't cause too many issues. The Remington Wads (Fig 8 and TGT12) have worked fine as well. Using a wad that was not intended for the AA hull could cause problems with them hanging up on the basewad or not seating correctly.

The time to buy shot has almost passed. Lead has gone up in price recently and shot will likely follow. If you intend to reload, it's probably a good idea to find the best deal you can find and buy a decent quantity. No way to know if, or when, it would come down again.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Do you feel lucky?

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have had one AA base wad migration. It was pushed up about 1/4". It happened on a PW 800+.

I think it prudent not to use the AA in a pump or autoloader. Only Remington hulls go into the 3901 we have.

In a break open gun, I use the AA hulls. My main trap gun prefers AA's and patterns better with them. I quick peek down the barrel(s) is all that is needed to see if a base wad has come loose. I have never seen one in 3 years of shooting. Some AA's have been loaded 8-10 times.

I could not get the 1 oz Claybuster wads to work properly. Many buckled shells with the wad hanging up on the base wad.

I use Green Dusters and Down Range XL-1's with great results for 1 oz loads and the Winchester AA white wad for 1 1/8 oz. NEVER have a buckled hull with them. The "cheapie" WT12 Western wad has also worked well for me but it has had reports of poor performance in the cold so I would not use it in the winter.

Don Verna

8. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

They are terrible hulls. I have given up on them. I wish W/W would get smart and go back to the old style.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've loaded tens of thousands of AA's. No problems.

10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

My 2 cents: If your reloaded pushes the primer by pressing on the base wad, I don’t see how you could have a problem. BUT if on the other side you have a type that pushes from the bottom, holding the rim, it could, just maybe in some way move up …In this day age of lawsuits, I can’t believe that Winchester would keep a shell that had a problem. To me it’s not the reload components or machine, it the RELOADER person..Grubby

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a buddy with a different problem, loading ww's on a mec grabber as he has for years. Now he's having a lot of cases that just crush, mash down all to heck. Anyone been having that happen?

12. DocJim

DocJim Member

I have read about base wad migration on this thread but I have reloaded several thousand with no problem and have never personally talked to a shooter who has had a problem. I reload with 1oz pink Winchester or Claybuster wads and get beautiful reloads with my old Mec Grabber. That said I may go to the Remington's just because I shoot a semi and one seperation would be one too many and the fact that I tend to reload a case until it splits. ..........AJ

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Silverbullet

Yes a lot of people have been having this problem. Cut open length-wise an old (original) AA and the new offering and you will see why.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

MrkSLC,

When I had that happen on my 800+ it was obvious. The shot was way over lip of the wad and I stopped, removed it, and cut it apart.

If it had made it to the final crimp, I suspect that either the crimp would have been dished out significantly (an obvious sign of trouble) or the base wad would have been seated back down to its normal position (which, some say, is why the MEC is "safer" for loading AA's).

Frankly, I do not see how the base wad could exit the hull; unless there is powder behind the base wad (and you need to get the base wad past the primer to do that on the PW). There is 8,000+ psi pushing the wad and shot forward; and the base wad back. Where is the driving force to move the base wad forward? Yet, it has been reported. Curious.
    Don Verna

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The new AA hull logo has quietly changed, with no admission by Win there the ever was a problem.

The ones to avoid or be very careful with, the AA is in a box.

Next Win improved the crimping of the base, hull and base wad, changing the logo to just the AA, I think that most of these also had HS on the brass.

Now Win has most likely improved the crimping of the brass, hull and base wad and the logo has changed to an AA underlined and HS on the brass.

Jason

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MrkSLC

If you have a good eye and are careful, you should be able to see the problem before loading the shell. You can see the difference in the pictures below. It's even more apparent when looking at the actual shell. These aren't Win AA's. They are some of the more popular bargain shells that had this issue of basewad migration. An eigth of an inch is real easy to see. Using a good light source makes it even easier. Since I inspect EVERY hull I load, it makes no difference if it's an STS or a Win AA. They all get inspected.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you dont think they move. deprime a case and take a small flat screw driver and you can push the base out of the shell.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture of a migrating AA base wad? HMB

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

ricks1- I have cut AA cases down to the brass and used many tools to try to pry the base wad out. I can't do it even with the case in a vise. It is possible to sink a screw into the base wad and pull the screw out of the plastic without moving the base wad.

I did see, and still have a couple of the early new two piece hulls with lose base wad. They were sent to me by others shooters. The hulls appeared to have been loaded many times. This was a potential problem a couple of years ago but it has been fixed by Winchester.

Pat Ireland

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is the difference between the Remington STS hulls and the Remington Nitro shells? Which is better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa basewad issue

aa wads feel tacku
claybuster wad hang up with winchester aa
using mec wads in aa hulls