1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading .410 information needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dan2116, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan2116

dan2116 Member

I know this is a trap shooting site but there must be some skeet shooters out there....:) I am just getting started reloading .410 for skeet so what is the best hull for reloading and wad combination for 2 1/2" .410 . Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

2. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

The best is the H.S. double A's ,12 to 15 loads from them,15 grains winchester 296 and the best wad is the winchester AA's ,the red dusters and others work also. Dan Witcher

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dan, the best hull is the one you can find the most of around where you live, either the Rem. STS or the Win. AA. That said the PC Orange wad or the Claybuster will work fine for wads. Most use (around here) the Win. 296 powder or Hodgdon's Hll0 (same powder). If you load with Hodgdon powder look up your combination of components on there reloading website at Hodgdonpowder.com. Remember to use a scale and make sure your reloading real close on your powder drops with the little guns as pressures are already very high. Try to find some reloads with some of the lower pressures and you'll do well. Break-em all. JEff

4. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Dan...did you see Ken today?? He still has the gun.

LA

5. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Where does one find these H.S. hulls?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dan, H.S. hulls are the Win. HS AA hulls (high strenth). You can buy them new at your local dealer or you can try to buy some once fired empty hulls on this website or at our local club or simply pick-up the empty's at your local club. E-bay may have some too. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

I would concur with the HS Winchester case. I have used the Remington STS and the old AA case and the HS case is THE BEST. I also use Winchester 296 powder although it is so fine that it does leak a bit onto the reloader. I have used the Winchester red WAA410HS wad with excellent crimps and results. The Claybuster clone wad of the Winchester also gave excellent results and is cheaper...............................AJ

8. dan2116

dan2116 Member

Thank you very much for your help guys . AA it is and will head to walmart first thing tomorrow.I just aquired this Citori Grade I .410 over/under and it is a kick to shoot.

9. fly

fly Active Member

Remington STS Hull, Rem Primer, Rem wad and the key is Little gun, the powder isn't as fine as H110 or 296 which happen to be the same powder. Little Gun won't leak through the bar. A Smooth Operator work excellent on 9000 G's H's and Grabbers.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like Remington SP-410 wads in the Winchester AA HS hull. The Remington wads do not pull up after the shot is dropped. Hodgdon H110 is my favorite powder. I would not use Lil Gun is you gave it to me!

Check gunbroker.com for HS hulls.

Jim Skeel

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Like everything you will have to find what works for you.
    I know Dan Witcher and he knows as much or more than anyone about reloading.

but the place to be reading is the powder manufacturers web sites for recipes.

the (P vs K gun) & (7 1/2 vs 8) and such will drive you crazy !

ernie

12. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree that the AA HS has the best case life. but I have settled on Alliant 410 powder. It is very consistant, no off sounding loads. With the AA HS red wads,I get great crimps also. Check out Alliant's website. Bill Hom

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

If any body is within driving distance to my location in SW NH I still have some 1 pound cans of Alliant 410. Priced at $11.00 each.

I do not ship powder.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

14. Model32Shooter

Model32Shooter Member

Locdoc, Sent you a PM

Bob

15. locdoc

locdoc Member

Bob,

PM answered.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

16. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I use the STS hulls and the Remington wad and Alliant 410 with the Federal 209-A primer. I shoot 9s in the 410, but I have seen guys shoot 8s and do just fine too.

Many of the guys I shoot with are using the AA hulls but these new ones seem to be wad sensitive.

If you are using a MEC loader, take the bar to any machine shop and have then run a 7/16 reamer through it so you are getting a true 1/2 oz of shot. It helps to have 1/2 oz instead of the 10 to 15 grains short that the bar actually drops.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

You may find with the STS hulls that the crimps are dished with 296, H110, .410 and Little Gun powders. If that is the case try Alliant 2400 as it provides more volume at the correct charge weight. I use it exclusively in the STS hulls.

18. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I prefer the REM STS Hull, with Rem Primers, Rem Wads H-110 Powder. Make sure you weigh your shot charge check the NSSA rule book for the exact weight. With the .410 when you change shot, size brand or between hard and regular you need to re-weigh your shot charge. You might end up with several bars if you use a MEC reloader.

Also I found single stage loaders makes the best shells.

Wayne Mayes the best .410 shooter ever with over 180+ 100 Straits with the .410 loads all of his .410 shells on a MEC JR.

Ronbo

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Ronbo - Doesn't Wayno use a single-stage P-W? And lots of those 410 100x100s were with new Remingtons.

20. Model32Shooter

Model32Shooter Member

Locdoc, Incoming PM for you!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best all around 410 wad

universal charge bar settings h110