1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading .223- Where to start PART 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

<center>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=001-19.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <br/><br/>
    </center>

Loaded my first cartridge this evening. Thanks to all of those who helped me. Still have a few more tools to get or make, and a little more setup to do, but I had enough ambition to run one shell tonight just to do it. Still have yet to fire my Remington 700 Varmint yet, still in the process of gathering parts and upgrading. Hope to get it finished up after Christmas, then the shooting begins.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

looks good

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let's hope it shoots as well as it looks!

After you've tested it, make up one shell without primer or powder. Keep it with your .223 dies. This will be used to quickly adjust your dies when you put them back into the press.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tighten the little screw on the lock ring. Like Brian said, keep a finished round.

HM

5. oz

oz Active Member

what components did you decide on?

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Take the time to write down everything you are using.

Wayne

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Looks like you are well on your way. I'm just curious what length your case is and also the completed round length? What brand of bullets did you choose? Do the bullets have the cannelure? What powder did you pick? I reload .223 as well as several other calibers. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

8. skeet_man

52 Gr Sierra Matchkings and H335 powder. For the amt I'll be shooting, no need to scrimp and save on bullets. I'm going to use Lake City brass to start, I bought once fired off gunbroker for about 9c/ea, and by the time I burn through all 450 I bought, it will probably be time for a new barrel anyways. Same quantity of new Winchester brass would have been $128.

grntitan- Length of case and length of complete round was exactly SAAMI spec for both (don't remember what it was off the top of my head). I'll experiment with COL when I have a chance to take some measurements of the chamber length, but last night I just wanted to get one round completed.

9. skeet_man

MAC- Loading for a Remington 700. Single stage Lyman C press which is many times older than I am.

From what I've read on line, the issue w/ 5.56 vs 223 brass is MUCH smaller than 7.62x51 vs 308 brass, to the point of being non-existent in some instances. I'll work up a load and watch for pressure signs.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that even though the primers are lightly crimped/staked, it seems to be a non-issue in both decapping and repriming. I have a took here to ream the crimp out, but when I try to use it, it doesn't really cut anything. On a whim, I tried seating a primer without trying to ream out the crimp. Seated absolutely fine with no difference in resistance.

10. gbutler

gbutler TS Member

Not trying to get off course but what do you mean when you say ARs need different dies? Ive been loading with a 4 die set of Lee dies and havent had any problems. Just want to makesure im not doing something wrong.
    thanks

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have checked the case volume of both types of brass a couple times, and the reduced load mantra does not apply with 223. A Remington, winchester, and LC92 case were compared.

They all held almost the same amount of powder when filled without shaking or tapping.

The Remmy was the tightest.

Now, in the case of 30-06 it's a different story, likewise 308.

Note: be sure the cases are all the same length when you do this.

HM

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Skeetman, looks good from the outside. Anyone use a Lee crimp die for the .223 round? Bought one today but haven't used it yet. Typically I load a 55 gr. FMJ boat tail with cannelure. BT100dc

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use a Lee crimp die. Adjusts easily and makes a nicely finished round.
    [​IMG]

14. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Try a headspace/case gauge.
    It helps with bolt guns and the semi's
    I know to use one now when setting up and I check after each 100 primers,
    Had a batch of .223 I loades up a few years ago and they would not chamber in the new rifle I wish I had the old one to shoot them up in.
    I found that the headspace was just a little long.
    No prolblems when I use the gauge.
    Tom
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.