1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading 2-1/2" Shells ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I had a guy ask me if I could reload 2-1/2" 12 ga. shells for him. I have seen them but have no idea on reloading them. Any Ideas???

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Reloading 2-1/2

What kind of reloader do you have? I'm pretty sure most will load them no problem as long as you load them with the right loading recipes.---Matt

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

I load and shoot a lot of 2½" - once you have the right wads and a good hull-trimmer, it's a piece of cake.

Bob

4. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Reloading 2-1/2

I am loading with a 9000g but also have a Sizemaster and a Jr. Where do you find loading data for them, and what do you use for the trimmer?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Reloading 2-1/2

Can't help you there. Yo Bob.....Hey Bob....Help this guy out.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Reloading 2-1/2

I met a person once who used to load real short 12 gauge shells in both plastic and paper hulls. These shells were like 1 1/2" long and were more of a novelty. I think that they were loaded with 1/2 - 3/4 oz. of shot.

He told me that he loaded them on an old fashion Lee Loader that had its barrel cut down.

I am guessing that he used the old nitro over powder card wad and felt spacer wads.

I think that you could have probably loaded 12 or more into an unplugged Model 12.

To each his own.

Ed Ward

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

There is ONLY one trimmer to get, Josh's.

Recipes ... Hodgdon has a bunch, but, when you get your wads figured out, you can use standard 2¾" data.

If your friend has old guns, and even damascus, you might want to stay with SR7625.

As far as loading kinks, you can either buy a 'short kit' from PR, MEC directly, BPI, etc, or, depending on how many you'll be loading, glue 3 nickles together and put under the shell at pre-crimp & final crimp station. Or PR has some machined brass spacers in their misc. MEC accessories.

A 'magic' wad for 2½" is the Gulandi 1217 and 1219. Both PR and Grafs have them.

I load only straight-wall hulls, so I can't help you if you want to load RemChester.

I have some good Bismuth loads if he wants to hunt waterfowl, too.

Bob

8. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Reloading 2-1/2

The guy has a bunch of 2-1/2" once fired hulls he was wanting me to try and reload. If I already have the right size hull why would I need the trimmer? He also told me that all of the hulls were bought over in england! dont know what kind of problem that will cause.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

They will cause no problems loading. I've loaded a bunch of Brit-origin Kent and Eley hulls in the past.

They will be Cheddite or Fiocchi or UEE hulls, then, and they will load just fine with the Gulandi wads.

The only issue you will have is how you lift the hull ¼" at the crimping stations, and there are several solutions to that.

Mail me with the details of what kind & age guns he has, what he's wanting to shoot, what powders you have on hand and I'll source a couple of loads for him.

Bob

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

i've loaded much 1 7/8" to 2.5".. If I can be of any help.. Let me know.. you'll need a roll crimp head..

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Reloading 2-1/2

2 1/2 inch chamber is standard on many Engklisg game guns. I load short shells on a Mev with a spacer kit and just trim them with a shell unloader but you could use any kind of razor blade or as pipe cutter would do. I like to Roll crimp mine so I never mix them up. The shells are fun to shoot and at times serve a purpose. Jeff

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

Jeff, the onliest problem with what pull-it wants to do and roll-crimp is those 2½" Cheddite hulls and the fold mouth is a booger-bear to roll.

I make rolled 2½" & 2" bullets, but start with a clean mouth. Much easier.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Reloading 2-1/2

I hear you. I have never had any hulls that were 2 1/2 inches too start with. I find that when I shorten the hulls and try and make new crimps they wind up looking like crap. I have had several different crimp starters over the years and have had some decent success but never the way a factory shell looks.

I think he would be better off just shortening his own cases as then all he would have to buy is a roll crimp instead of a short kit as well. Jeff

14. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Reloading 2-1/2

Here was my first stab at it (really this was the second, crushed the first one) Cut this gun club down, and loaded it with 17.4 grains of clays, and a cb1100 wad, using 1 oz. of #8/#9 shot (dumped a little out so it is a little shy of 1 oz.) crimp was not to bad. Used washers for spacers and just used my Mec jr. Good thing he doesn't want to many of these because going back to a single stage loader after loading on a progressive Sucks!

four34_2009_14088.jpg

four34_2009_1408.jpg

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

ya done good!

16. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Reloading 2-1/2

I finally found out what shells he has They are Wesley richards 2-1/2". He has a bunch of hulls that he wants me to try and reload. He also shoots a Wesly Richards 12 ga. Does anybody have any good recipes for these shells.

17. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Reloading 2-1/2

Go to www.ballisticproducts.com.You should be able to locate all the info/tools you need.

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

Sure.

15/16oz? 1oz? How fast?

Bob

19. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Reloading 2-1/2

7/8 oz. and 1 oz. loads would be great!

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Reloading 2-1/2

what powders do you have on hand? regular trap stuff? PB ... 7625?

Just lead, or does he want to shoot duck?

how old are his guns? damascus, maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading paper shells with fiber wads