1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading 12ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigBearRod, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

Is it worth reloading 12 ga shells? What (be realistic) would be the initial cost of equipment and what is the cost per shell to reload after all is said and done. I'm sure there are low end to high end equipment, I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance, Rod

2. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Go to fun stuff tab on our home page and use one of the reload cost calculators. Its worth it for me because I like reloading.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

There is a ton of information on this forum regarding this subject. Have you tried to search yet? You'll get your naysayers and those that believe, like me.

How much do you shoot a year, that is the first question you need to ask your self. If you are a weekend warrior and do not shoot ATA then I would stick with the Wally World shells. Do you think you'll enjoy reloading, I know I do it is relaxing to me. If you buy your components in bulk to reload at least 5000 you can save money compare to purchasing STS or AA factory shells.

Reloaders can range from $50 (MEC 600jr) to over $1500 (Spolar).

Bryan

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No, not really and for what its worth, I like to reload shotgun shells.

A low end single stage press will cost between $100 (used) and $175 new. A decent progressive press can be found in the $325 range (used) all the way up to a couple grand for the top of the line machines.

Loading a box of shells will cost you around $5 to $5.50 depending on the load and where you buy components. In short order you will heaer from guys loading shells at a fraction of that cost but they are also sitting on large quantities of component bought some time ago. (not an option for you). If you just buy loaded lower cost target ammo like Estates or Top Guns you can come pretty close to that $5 to $5.50 cost.

The main reasons to get into loading 12 gauge ammo at this point would be if you wanted a special loading that you couldn't readily get from the factory or if you wanted to expand your shooting hobby to include reloading. There is a lot to be said for the satisfaction of custom tailoring your own ammo.

This story changes when you talk about the small gauges like .410 and 28. Then reloading is almost a must do.

5. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

At the current costs, it's costing me in the neighborhood of $4.40 to make 1 oz loads if I remember right. I haven't run the calculator in a while. With tax I figure I'm saving $1.50 per box compared to the cheapest shells to be had and abbot $2.50 off the cost of premium loads. The shells I load are a very good quality and that is evident by how much cleaner my gun is when I'm done shooting.

I have a mec 9000h hydraulic loader and pump for sale on this forum right now for $600. That will pump out very high quality shells very quickly. Yes you can spend more but that's a whole topic all in it's own. It really depends on how much you shoot as to what kind of loader is best for you.

Good luck, Paul Daniels

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Never reload just to save money. You really need to enjoy the process as part of the shooting hobby.

I shoot so I have something to reload.

cap

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I reload to taylor make the shells I use to my specific desires.

HM

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with halfmile as to tailoring various loads for various disciplines and hunting.

However...for trapshooting, I only use two (2) types of loads (KISS Principle).

1 oz. (1200 fps) for singles and both shots of doubles.

1-1/8 oz. (1250 fps) for long yardage handicap.

I save approx. $35.00 per flat by reloading my handicap load and approx. $20.00 per flat for my 1 oz. loads. My machine (a Hornady 366) has been paid for many years and good used ones can be purchased readily for approx. $250.00 =/-.

I enjoy my reloads and I just figure that I save enough over a year's time to support most of my practice and league shooting.

Curt

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm with Curt all the way including the K`I`S`S method. I have (2) loads i shoot and they both use the same wad, primer, hull and powder. I just change the powder drop. I just bought a small quanity of components at todays prices and i'm still only around $4.25/box. I can't buy my reloads or reloading fun for that. Helps to get hulls for free and they are out there with some work. My machine is also an Old Pacific DL366 that is long since paid for. There are losts of good deals on old loaders that work just fine. I do still buy/shoot factory when i find a great deal. Of course the Handicap events at the Grand require new.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rod, If you like to tinker,like working with your hands, and have some time to load "reloading" may be for you. You really need to find out because bottom line is its going to run you about a thousand dollars to get started reloading if you want to do it to save money. You also need to find a way to get all your reloading supplies without having to ship them to your home/office. If you can't drive to get them then you have to do very large buys yourself or with other shooters. This can be problemmatic to do. Talk to some reloaders at your club or clubs and find out where they buy and at what prices. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been loading my own since 1973 and I know I've saved thousands by buying components in bulk and loading fairly light and supporting those that kept the price of comonents down. I have great confidence in my product and still load cheaper than new "quality" shells. Shoot cheap new ones? Can't find any that replace my custom loads.....breakemall

12. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I bought lead at $10.00 a bag from the club every time I went 10 years ago. I went there about twice a week and accumulated over a ton buying a couple bags a week. I also ran into a ton and 1/2 of shot used as sail boat ballast at $5.00 a bag( I had to travel 400 miles and load it myself) and dragging it out of the hold of that boat was a real bear.

The funny part was on one wanted to go and help me get it but they all wanted to buy it for $5.00 a bag.

purchased some reclaimed shot also for $5.00 a bag from a ex shooter at work.

I still about 2 tons left. So reloading costs me about $2.19 a box.

If things don't improve for me health wise this year I may get rid of a ton or so maybe here on a for David auction.

Rock

Jim

13. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

Wow Thanks everyone for the great information ! I have a lot to think about from your comments. Thanks for taking the time to respond !
    Rod

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It wasn't that many years ago that many shooters were debating whether AA, STS or Fed. were the best shell on the market and few would talk up the off brands, unlike today. The off brands aren't so bad or cheap or of poor quality after all are they?

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Perhaps, Dave, but you still can't match anything to your favorite customized load that you have the ultimate confidence in without the loader, eh?.....breakemall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is reloading shotgun shells for trap cheaper than buying them

loading 12ga

reloading 12ga

reloading for 12ga trap cost

shotgun reloading tips for 12ga