1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading 1 1/8 and 1oz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by raul82, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raul82

raul82 Member

I need advice on the best component combinations for loading 1 1/8 and 1oz Rem STS, Rem GC, and Win AA. Please be as detailed as possible. I just started reloading and need good tested recipes for each hull. I am shooting 16 yrd Trap and Skeet. I am looking for=
    Hull,wad,powder,primer combos. Any info is much appreciated!!!
    Thank you ahead of time,
    Ralph

ps. Gamaliel is where i will be ordering from but dont worry about out of stock! Just give me your best....Thanks

2. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

1 oz- Fiocchi primer, cb1100, 18.3 gn Green Dot 1150 fps give or take.

1.125 oz - Fiocchi primer, cb1118, 22 gn PB 1225-1250 give or take.

I booked everything at one time I suggest you do the same.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you are starting out, I would suggest you start with factory components. So for Remington hulls that means Fig8 and TGT12 wads and R209 primers. Likewise, Winchester WAA12 and WAA12SL wads and W209 primers. Yes this will be more expensive than some of the clones and cheaper primers, but you will be duplicating factory loads with top quality components. Once you get the hang of it and figure out what you like, then you can decide if you are into swapping components for cheaper alternatives.

Some people load to save money. Some people load to duplicate the highest quality shell. Some people want special loads for less recoil. This is all the kind of stuff that you need to figure out. Hope that helps!

4. Pen25

Pen25 Member

when i started it was Winchester waa12sl wads. in winchester aa remington sts/gc and nitro with win209 primer and 17.5 grain reddot for my 1 1/8oz loads.

i have now moved to loading 1oz loads using claybuster 1100cb wad's and cheddite primers. alliant has said the cheddite are direct replacement. i have a case of dra12 pink wads that i am not exactly fond of with the wad finger doing up inside the drop tube too often.

5. oz

oz Active Member

the first thing you should buy is a reloading book. I have several. pick recepies from the book, oz

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You don't need 1 1/8 oz loads for skeet or 16 yard trap. Settle on a 1 oz load of #8 shot going about 1200 fps, and it will work for both, and work in any gun. I use Clay Dot powder. Go to the Alliant website reloading data page and get a recipe. Mark

7. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Guess I was to specific Ralph. Personally, If you can afford factory components you can afford to buy new shells. I was giving ya what I shoot. I guess at the end of the day some of the folks on here would rather cover their a## and tell ya to.get a book. Then again if you are a competent individual and you are starting "loading", not "shooting" I'm sure there are friends you can talk to that would be more then willing to help you out. I have shot skeet once in my life.

Good luck and ink'em

Brady Gies,

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

First thing I did was get an Alliant reloading guide.Referenced it whenever someone suggested a load.I use Cheddite primers and green dot for 1 and 1 1/8 loads.18.3 1oz,19 1 1/8oz.TGT wads in both

Doug H.(pa)

9. mike680

mike680 Member

I shoot AA red hulls, cb1100 wad, 17.0 gr clay dot, 1oz reclaim shot and cheddite primer.

10. 548

548 Guest

There are a lot of variables. For example, what type of gun do you shoot and how does recoil affect you?

I like 1-1/16th ounce of 7.5 shot with Down Range DRHF8 wad and 16.5 grains of Red Dot in a Remington STS hull with Federal 209A primer. Reasonably low recoil 1150 fps load good to the 22 yard line.

Before you purchase from Gamaliel, may I suggest you compare prices with Grafs? http://www.grafs.com/

The flat rate 6.95 shipping is where you really come out ahead. And if you can get a few guys together and make one order you will get your components reasonably priced, almost as good as from a distributor.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

First select a couple of powders. For the 1 Oz and the lighter 1 1/8 Oz loads get a fast burning powder. Good cadidates are CLAYS (my favorite but not always available), Red Dot, PROMO, Clay Dot, and 700x. What ever you pick get a 8 pound jug. For the heavy 1 1/8 Oz loads Green Dot is the go to powder.

Now pick a couple of wads. For your 1 Oz loads the Winchester Pink wad works great as does the Remington TGT12. You don't need OEM and the 'clone' products from DownRange are every bit as good or even better quality at lower cost. For your 1 1/8Oz shells the Down Range blue wad works great.

Now pick a primer and buy a sleeve (5000) of them. Winchester 209 are very good and usually about in the middle of the price range. Federal 209A is also very good but considered 'hot'. Not a problem if you follow the loading data. The lower cost primers like Cheddite seem to work okay and can save you a few bucks.

Now get a good quantity of shot. You will want 'magnum' grade or the hard shot if you can get it. # 7 1/2 or #8 your choice and it doesn't really matter. This is where you will be spending the most money. You will get 400 of the 1 Oz shells out of a 25 pound bag of shot or about 355 1 1/8 Oz shells.

Lastly, your choice of hulls is good but load the STS/Gun Clubs separately from the AA huls. There are enough differences between the two brands to warrant loader adjustments so you don't want to mix them up. The Winchester hulls don't hold up as well either so you may want to just drop them from your loading plans unless you have a lot of them.

Final recipie decisions need to follow a reputable loading data source. Get this from the powder manufacture's web site (Alliant or Hodgdon) and use a scale to verify your powder drop weights.

Good luck and have a blast.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ralph, I like Win. AA hulls to load period. The reason is because I want to use the AA wad. The Claybuster clone is a excellent wad that will not hurt your pocketbook or your shotguns pattern. Conbine this wad with the best shot you can find locally and your good to go. The Win. AA hull is also the easiest to find generic/off name brand primers to fit into, so thats a plus. Use the primer and powder you can find locally at a good price. Claydot,Red Dot,700X,Clays are all excellent powders. Primers and powders are the hardest items to find right now, but bottom line they effect your shotguns pattern the least and "All" will go bang. But to really know what your pattern is doing you have to pattern the gun yourself and find what "You" like and have "Confidence" in, so that when you pull the trigger and that lonely target does not break!!! You can't blame your ammo. LOL. Good Luck, follow powder company data, and check your powder drops with a scale. break em all. Jeff

13. raul82

raul82 Member

A Big thanks to all that have responded. Your advice has truly helped!!!!
    Thank you,
    Ralph

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll cover my Tush and also first suggest to get one or more of the available reloading guides. Buy or borrow a decent powder scale and follow the recipes as printed... bushing guides are only a starting point, depending upon how you use a loading tool will determine the actual powder drop for a given powder bushing .

Some good recommendations above... ultimately, you have to pick a powder family (Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester, etc.) then typically a Hull (Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, Federal, etc.) shot weight and then choose a powder. From there, select the primer and wad, then powder weight.

Everyone has their favorites. I'm a fan of Hodgdon powders - Clays (12) and Universal (20). When Clays got scarce, I tried some Alliant Clay-dot and used it with success for my 12 gauge.

I started with Compression Formed AAs and when Winchester got cheap went exclusively with Remington Premiers (RTL Hull) and then to STS/Nitro hulls.

I use Winchester 209 Primers.

I use AA-type wads and presently user Dusters...

Blue Duster - 9/8oz Lead, 3/4 Steel

Green Duster - 1oz Lead

BPI PT wads - 7/8oz Steel

Recipes... you'll have to do your own research for those on the Hodgdon, Alliant or Ballistic Products websites...

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i need shooting data for hodgson clays 1oz lead shot aa hauls

relacement for bpi pt1215 wad

reloading 1oz with red dot

reloading for 1oz trap

rtl hull red dot reloading data