1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by no powder, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no powder

no powder Member

looking for opinions - hornady 366 vs. rcbs grand 12ga.

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

366 no question

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

366 for sure. Built like a tank and reliable. Great customer service.

4. no powder

no powder Member

thx for the input. how about hornady vs. mec 9000.

5. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Still the 366

6. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I by far, prefer the RCBS Grand. Not only do you get great service, but they do not charge for parts. I also like my 9000G better than the 366. Both of the 366's that I had, the primers would drag coming out of the priming hole during indexing and I had a problem on one that the indexing adjustment screw would loosen and get out of time. I got fed up and dumped them. I also had a PW that killed my back loading with it, that was before the made the Auto mates. As with any machine, you have to learn the quirks and minor adjustments to get perfect looking finished shells. Bill Hom

7. no powder

no powder Member

thx. The only progressive ive tried was an older 9000 - it did the job but seemed to be very loosely connected everywhere. seemed like that could eventually cause trouble.!? Am currently using single stage mec and gathering info before xmas. ha ha!

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Dillon. Forget the rest. Unless you want an electric drive machine. In that case buy a PW800+ with electric drive. In either case you can make 500 shells an hour. My first progressive was a Pacific DL366. It was a good reloader at the time, but that was 37 years ago.

9. Bobk80

Bobk80 TS Member

I have the PW800+ with the case feeder and I'm real happy with it. One hand on the handle and one on the wad. Make a real nice shell.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have three 366's that I recently acquired and have tried some. I'm ready to go back to the 9000 and grabbers. I do like the primer feeders on the 366's and it's a pain to use the resizers on the 366's compared to the 9000. Jackie B.

11. dls guide

dls guide Member

I had a 366 and hated it. I wouldn't own one as a gift. If possible try all of the loaders and pick one you can get along with. I personally like PW 800 plus with hydraulic foot pedal. Spolar if you can afford it. 366 would be my last choice. Daryl

12. normanboy

normanboy Member

I am a Dillon man all the way. I have had several 366's, an RCBS,a and some Mec's. The Dillon you will never be sorry with. The customer service of RCBS is outstanding and so is Dillon's. I have Dillon metallic presses as well. The no BS warranty transfers to new owners even if you did not buy it new. Something breaks and they will send you a new part at no cost. You will also love the production rates off of the Dillon. It cranks them out! All in al buy the DILLON and never look back!

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How many near 40 year old MEC, P/W, Dillon, RCBS loaders do you know that are still cranking out 1000's of rounds a year? I can't think of any either.

This Pacific DL-366 still is:

grntitan_2009_2503216.jpg

Its older brother Pacific DL-300 is still cranking out shells as well:

grntitan_2009_2503152.jpg

They are still chugging along because they are built to last several lifetimes. No cheap stamped parts to bend or break.

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

For a year or so I was buying reloaders, refurbishing them, and reselling. I was doing Grabbers, 9000g, and 366 only.

There's a helluva market for MEC stuff, and I have absolutely no idea why, other than price. You know why MEC's are less expensive than the rest? Because they're just that. CHEAP.

While MEC is a fantastic company to deal with, they're loaders are less than optimal imho. And no one has better customer service than Hornady.

It's a pretty simple concept really. Do you want cheap,stamped parts in your press, or do you want heavy,cast,and machined parts in your press? Pretty obvious answer for me.

Yes, a MEC will get your shells loaded, but with a LOT more adjusting and tweaking needed than on a 366. PERIOD.

15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I have both, the 366 and a 9000H. I feel both are good machines and I have had very little problems with either. When I did have a problem (always something I did) both companys were helpful. The biggest advantage for me is that the mec resizes easier. Without the extra step the 366 requires. Another note both of my machines are set up with electric hydraulic, the mec standard and the 366 an aftermarket. The mec is so much faster! Yes the mec seems to cheaper in contruction but the mec is a good machine also. my 2 cents

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Listen to grntitan & blizzard, I've had both brands + a couple others, still loading on my 40+ year old Pacific. Yes the resize on the 366 isn't the handiest thing on the market but once you get a pattern\sequence set up it doesn't really take that much extra time & 366s don't break fingers out of the resizer or get a pellet stuck in them. For the $$$$$ invested 366s are the best one on the market. Also if you shoot them in the same gun you probably won't need to resize anyway. Ross

17. tburrey

tburrey Member

I use a Mec 650 that is over 40 years old (was my fathers machine) and it still cranks out good looking shells at a fast enough pace for me. Have replaced the little plastic wad guide a few times (they used to have metal fingers) and twice the small rod that pushes the shot bar and that's it. I don't believe I will ever wear it out. I use the 650 for my singles loads and have an old 76R grabber I use for my handicap loads. Have no need to upgrade as I shoot about 200 shells a week and these machines both handle the job in a little over a half hour. Tom

18. Reinz

Reinz Member

The man asked 366 VS RCBS Grand, NOT what is the best.

He has his reasons.

Geez, is this JR High?

19. TrapDud

TrapDud TS Member

My vote is the 366. I've never owned one but I have 2 RCBS reloaders. Parts are free but you'll be calling them quite often for new PLASTIC parts. Oh by the way mine is for sale. I wouldn't if I were you.

Leland

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Free parts are no f'n good when the machine breaks on Friday night and you want to reload all weekend.

If you decide on a 366, buy a used one as they do not seem to hold their value as well as others and you can get a good machine for about $200-250.

I have never used a 366 but know a couple of guys who have them and they have NO complaints. I know there were problems early on with some Grands but none of the guys I shoot with has one.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.