1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loumish, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loumish

Loumish Member

I am looking at getting a 12 gauge reloader for something to do while I am one armed this winter (shoulder Surgery). Can anyone point me in the right direction and maybe line me up with a loader? I am looking for something that I can use one handed without too much issues. I have used my fathers MEC 9000G for many years but will not be able to driver to his place, which is unfortunate, since I love that loader. I would like something that will not break the bank. Does anyone have any personal experience with the LEE Load-All II? If not, please do not chime in to tell me it is crap and I should buy the most expensive model "because it is the best." I am NOT set on any particular make or model, I would just like first hand experiences please.

Thanks

Louis
  2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

Why don't you put an Auto-Mate on your Dad's 9000G? Bill Malcolm
  3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

If you can get a MEC 9000H. I have a them in 12,20,28,.410 ga. It a hydraulic reloader with a foot pedal.

The E is very good but you need to push the two buttons at the same time. It may not work for you today but it will work when you are back up and running.

Or just get a Mec 9000GN and pull the handle with your good arm.
  4. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

PW with shell feed, and electric drive/foot switch. One hand to put a wad in. And your on the way.
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get a MEC 600jr. It can easily be operated one handed and at any pace you desire. They are so simple to adjust, make great looking shells and you can often find a used one for under $100. I usually load on a Pacific 366 but after having my shoulder joint replaced this winter, I used my MEC 600jr. while recovering. Heck, it's still set up and I loaded several boxes on it yesterday.
    grntitan_2009_2503322.jpg
  6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Shotgun World is a roost for MEC snobs. If a loader isn't made of stamped tin and covered with red powder coat it's not worth owning over there.

I bought a LLA 2 a year or so after they came out and still have that one and a couple others as well. They pack easily in a duffel bag and produce shells that can be impressively consistent. One caution about the Lee is that good performance requires consistent operation from the user...seating the wad with the same pressure each time, throwing the powder/shot drop lever with the same force each time, using the same pressure on each crimp. The machine has no adjustments other than those provided by the user's technique. This can be a good thing because many "bad" loaders are just the result of ham-fisted adjustments by uninformed operators.

You'll read complaints about how time consuming it is to change bushings in a LLA 2... how the hoppers have to be emptied etc. You don't have to empty the hoppers to change the bushings. To make quick bushing changes:<UL><LI>tape the hopper lid on with a strip of packaging tape<LI>spread the 2 sides of the handle off its pivot pins and control the hopper while the return spring lifts the hopper assembly off the loader base<LI>turn it upside down and set it on its lid<LI>remove the two screws holding the charge bar retaining plate and change the bushing(s)<LI>reverse procedure to reassemble</UL>Takes less than a minute to change both bushings.

Loading the primers (primer feed is an optional accessory, BTW) might be a fiddle with one arm. The primers are loaded into a primer tray 50 at a time and then the tray has to be tipped nose down to fit it into the primer chute. Unless this is done quickly or unless a pencil etc. is used to hold back the primers, some may run out before the tray is seated in the chute.

The LLA 2 can be operated with either hand equally well (but not rapidly in either case).

It is necessary to learn the trick of positioning a shell properly in the crimp starter station to avoid mashing the factory crimps. The "V" of one fold is always positioned at 1200 o'clock.

The LLA 2 is not a production machine. I can do a box of shells in about 16-17 minutes. Some primers are more reluctant than others to slide down the plastic primer chute (which is "jiggled" with a finger to keep the primers moving as needed). It requires more personal involvement and attention from the user than other presses. I keep one mounted on a bench because it makes a great tool for depriming and repriming stubborn hull/primer combinations and re-doing individual shells when necessary... and I keep one at home way down south to load ammo for hunting Paca, Pecarry, geese, ducks and turkey.

It has its place among the available loaders. If you don't expect it to do things it wasn't designed to do it will serve adequately.

Keller
  7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I have a Lee, got it 15-16 years ago. It is a 20 gauge model and it does work well for reloading a few boxes. I would not want to use it for hours on end due to how slow it is and to change bushings you have to drain the shot and powder. You get what you pay for. The other reloaders I have are all MEC. The Lee just collects dust now.
  8. zaob1

zaob1 Member

Had shoulder sugery in May and the only reloader I could use was the MEC with the automate. Have a one arm bandit also, 9000G, but the automate works wonders. Don't need but two fingers to push. The 9000H is the other option, but cost wise, I think the auto is the better fit.

Rick............just my 2 cents. as they say get better and break em all.
  9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Louis, First off I thought that maybe you could bring your fathers reloader to your home to use while you have the off time, and simply give it back to him after your mobile again. But after reflecting on the above posters remarks, I am inclined to think that while you are using your good shoulder to pull down the press the pressure generated may be enough to effect your other shoulder causing you pain. So I would have to recommend a 600 jr. single stage as it can be picked up cheap and will require much less pressure to cycle the shells though each station. It will take much more time, but it sounds like you'll have plenty of that. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

PS Good Luck with the surgery!!!
  10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Rick, the difference in prices between the 9000E and 9000H is $10.
  11. Loumish

Loumish Member

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and concern. I really appreicate it!
  12. Loumish

Loumish Member

Now with that all said, what are you opinions on the MEC 600 jr vs the Ponsness Warren 375 and what is the difference with the 375 and the 375 C?

Thanks again
  13. C-Money

C-Money Member

I use the Lee Load All. It works fine for me. I shoot around 3000 targets combined most years. If you can slide the charge bar back and forth with the affected arm, the Lee will load just fine for you. Mine has been loading for 10 years now, no issues. The price is a bargan for the quality shells you make. Once my kids start shooting, I will need to upgrade, as the Lee is just to slow to crank out shells for more than one shooter.
  14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The PW 375 is a nice unit but for the money they cost you should be able to pick up a mec grabber.

I would say that a 600 jr would be ideal for you. Not costly and easy to operate. Still use one occasionally and I have a Spolar.
  15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

If at all poosiable go with the mec 9000G
  16. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I also suggest a MEC and would get a progressive model. Yes, they require more arm effort to operate as you are processing six shells at a time. But don't forget that because they "know" if a hull isn't present and won't dump shot all over themselves, they can be operated as a single-stage machine processing one shell at a time until you're back to normal, at which time you will be able to enjoy the benefits of a progressive. The only change you might want to make to go single-stage is placing the primers in the seating cup by hand, as turning the primer feed off and on would get old.

I've owned some of the ones that aren't "made of stamped tin and covered with red powder coat." They probably will last longer but do not load a better shell and, in many cases, do not offer the features of an inexpensive MEC that can be replaced if you wear it out for half the cost of some of those "better" loaders.

Ed
  17. superump

superump TS Member

The MEC 9000H would be perfect for you and once you use it and your shoulder heals you will never go back to a manual. I have had a 9000H for 8 plus years. I bought a new 9000E which as stated above takes two hands to use but after a couple weeks I went back to the 9000H - it's faster with a lot less headaches and it operates from a foot pedal so you will be able to load shells pretty quickly one armed once you get in a rythym. Hope everything works out ok with your shoulder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.