1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloaders - what is your fav 16 yd hull ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

If cost, availability, etc were no object - which hull is your favorite to reload for 16 yds ? I gotta say - mine is the cheapy federal top gun. I started reloading couple years ago with the beautiful STS hull ... but over time, I have started gaining more confidence with the federal hull. Even if it is a trash hull. I like the breaks and results I am getting. So, put me down for the FTG hull, 18.5 gr Red Dot (or 18.0 Clay Dot), Claybuster 12S3 clone, Fed 209A primer, and 1-1/8 oz of #8 magnum shot (West Coast, Lawrence, but not Eagle).

And since I am asking - how many of you re-loaders use your reloads for 16 yds at tournaments ? All tournaments, or will you switch to factory for the important tournaments ?

I use my reloads at 16 yds for all events ... and dont know if factory would be better, or not. To be honest, I have never even shot factory shells for the 2 years I have been shooting trap.
  2. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I mainly use REM Gun Clubs. But I agree that the Top Guns do reload well. I use reloads for everything, but then again I am not a AA shooter.
  3. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

OK UNLOADER. how would you load the paper for 16 yds ? BTW - I just purchased my 1st lot of 1x fired papers. Holding on to them until I figure out how I want to load/use them.
  4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I like Win. all the way. Hulls,primers,wads the works. Win. AA hull, Win. primer, Clays powder, Claybuster cb 1100-12 wad w one oz of Lawrence brand mag. shot at 1180 fps. There's a reason that the Win. AA wad is the most copied wad in the world!!! Reload the best shot and wad you can, because thats what makes the patterns and breaks the targets. Powders, and hulls don't mean as much as long as your getting a good seal at the wad!!! Now if you like the Federal's!!! I would recommend that you at least start reloading the Gold Metal's with the brass bases and forget about reloading any hulls that are not brass. Life's to short to reload Steel based hulls!!! Steel bases are just harder on your reloader, your guns ejectors, and the breach face and that's a fact. That's just one of the several reasons I reload. break em all Jeff
  5. yvonne

yvonne Active Member

Rem Gun Club, Rem STS or Winchester AA Hull, 15 grains of Alliant Extra Lite powder, 3/4 oz shot and CB 3/4 wads or 7/8 (if I run out of the 3/4) and Cheddite primers!
  6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    Gun Clubs... and I haven't shot a factory load in 10 years.

Keller
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

cost no object?? Unloaders Papers for sure...!!
  8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Eurotrash for most everything.
  9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Remington STS
  10. Straight50

Straight50 Member

If cost was no object, I would load Fed papers.
  11. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

Old style AA's if I could get them. I also use the gun clubs and they are almost indestructible. New STS is the prettiest load though.
  12. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

16 yards, 1 oz of 7 1/2's in an STS hull. 1 1/8oz, AACF hull. Different hulls is how I keep track of them.....
  13. slide action

slide action Active Member

STS hull--17.5 grs. of Red Dot--1 oz # 8-1/2s--windjammer wad-- fed 209 primer
  14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Fed papers for everything
  15. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

Slide - which Windjammer wad (ie who makes it) ? ever chronograph that load ? I would be interested in knowing how fast it is. thanks, Brian
  16. pitt4570

pitt4570 Member

anything if it still holds shot
  17. Bill Hom

Bill Hom Member

My choice is Federal papers, Federal 209A, 18.0 gr. Red Dot, Federal 12C1 wad. 1 1/8 oz. hard 8's for pitch targets and 7 1/2's for bios. Bill
  18. RemingtonReloader

RemingtonReloader TS Member

I like an STS hull, Remington primer, 15 grains of e3, CB0175-12 wad, and 3/4 oz of Lawrence #8's. -Aaron Schneider
  19. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

Aaron - you really shoot 3/4 oz for 16 yds ? at ATA tournaments ? dont you think 3/4 oz would hinder your chances of breaking every target ?
  20. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

STS or Nitro,W209 primer,Windjammer 1oz. wad, 17.0grs. promo, 8.5 Westcoast shot. Really does the trick at the 16 yd.line. You can shoot them all day with no recoil abuse. Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.