1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloaders: Pros and cons of different brands?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I know this place if full of info, so here goes the question, I have a small Lee Load all, other than being time consuming, it works well, but now I am shooting alot more with alot more shells to reload. I am not looking to get one at this moment, but next year I would like to get a progressive reloader. I have seen comments out there and I have seen this MEC 9000 with the automate, I thought that might be a way to go but looking for some good feedback. Price range rough 800's??? Also hubby says no used ones, could be too many problems...what is your opinion on this one??

thanks Deb

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Deb, I wouldn't rule out a used Mec. They are pretty easy to fix if anything goes wrong with them.

I love my Automate, so I'm sure you'll like that too.

Good luck.

Hauxfan!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The PW is an excellent loader also. The only con I know of is the primer feed ramp and primer inserter. It is basically junk compared to other brands.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

I bought a used 9000 on ebay for less than $300. Spent an afternoon cleaning it up. Had to order $20 worth of parts from Mec. Parts arrived in 3 days and I was up and running. It's been about a year and absolutely no problem. Mec also offers a complete rebuilding service and someone on this forum called mecman also does this. Used is good...

Bruce

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You might consider a MEC 650 which is a "manual progressive" reloader that costs far less than full auto reloaders, but is still quite fast. I've been using one for about 3 years now and wouldn't consider a full auto one for the cost difference.

AndyH ;-)

6. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Andy I understand, but I am finding the tension on my shoulder is not the best for the manuals, that is why I was considering the automate. e

deb

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Deb... For $889.99, you can buy a brand new MEC 9000H hydraulic loader. Very easy to operate. Just push the pedal on the floor and a shell is loaded! I have had one for over 20 years and have loaded over 250,000 reloads with it and have had no problems at all with it. Faster than an automate and much easier to master... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

DanThome, I have a question.

You said the hydraulic Mec is "much" easier than an Automate to master.

Myself, I found the Automate to be extemely easy to operate.

Seeing as you have never owned/operated a Mec with the Automate, on what criteria do you you base your comparisons?

Hauxfan!

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've used both the 9000H and an "Automate 9000E", and I much prefer the 9000H. Not that I would buy one, as my 650 is perfect for me.

AndyH ;-)

10. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Ok so I see this does bring in some debate, I think most of you saw that I was using a Lee LoadAll II right now, I don't mind the moving the shell along, and we have 2 adults and sometimes my step son shooting, so loading for more than one gun.
    The Lee is causing alot of strain on my neck and shoulder, which I am trying to avoid, that is why I was looking at something that did the auto load. I figure you guys have loaded alot longer and tried many more loaders out there the Hornaday is something I will check out.
    I am only guessing, but I know MEC shows up at the Cardinal center for the big shoots during the year. How about some of the other big names??

Deb

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If repetitive motions and work are causing aches in neck and shoulder now, then the operation of probably any loader without some sort of motordrive would not be a good idea. I use both a Grabber and a 9000H, both from MEC, and there's no doubt that I tire with the Grabber sooner because it requires the repetitive pumping of the handle to make it function. So, first of all, I'd stick to your guns and get a loader that will mate with the auto-mate. Which one? The 9000 series MEC will mate with that device but there's just another system that can be in need of adjusting or repairs down the road that you don't need. That system is the one that automatically turns the shell plate for you. I prefer the Grabber or similar loaders from MEC that do everything the 9000H series does EXCEPT you have to turn the shell plate after every cycle. Not a big problem and just one less thing to have operate "automatically" as long as it works.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Every one of them made that I know of will make you say bad words from time to time. You have to have or someone around has to have a little mechanical savy in them or you won't load much. Funny thing is with metalic reloading I never had any reloader problems, why is that?

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Haux..... Please read the following:

FEDog..... To get back to your original question regarding the automate compared to a hydraulic, I offer the following.... A friend has a MEC 9000 set up with an automate and I have a MEC 9000 set up with hydraulics. Shortly after getting his automate he began boasting about how fast it was, and how it would load rings around my hydro unit. Well, a guy can only take so much, and the debate was on! To decide which was actually faster, we set up my machine right next to his on his work bench. We both agreed we would load 250 shells (1 flat) in the same manner we normally reloaded shells. We both started at the same time. Results? My hydro unit finished the 250 shells, and we counted the number of empty hulls he still had left. The total was 49. Neither one of us suffered any breakdowns, or bad loads. Neither one of us stopped until we were done. While the automate is a great advancement for the MEC 9000, it simply does not even earn an honorable mention when it comes to the hydro unit. The major advantage the hydraulic unit has over the automate is you can hold hulls in the left hand, wads in the right, and feed the machine continually, using your foot to operate the press. It was our observation that the automate was just plain slower in loading a shell from start of the stroke to the finish when compared to the hydraulic. Both units, however, produced perfect reloads.

AverageEd..... When someones mind is made up, I have found it usless to confuse them with facts..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Haux... I did, indeed, try the automate and found it much more of a pain in the butt to operate than the hydraulic. I much prefer to hold a hull in one hand and a wad in the other and just keep loading. I don't like pressing the button and then grabbing a component. Sorry, pal, but, I have had experience with both, therefore I offer my opinion based on that experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How much money do you want to spend? One can't compare the low end to the high end. It's all about your pocketbook.

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had a Dillon. It had some twitchy things I did not like about it. I sold it and purchased a P/W 800+ from whiz and have never looked back. I like the hell out of it and I am somewhat confused about Cubins remark on the primer feed and primer tray. So far mine has been great 100% of the time.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Then there's always the Dillon, since I don't think it was mentioned yet.

I have some serious issues with my arms and shoulders, so a lever is a pain for me, literally. The Automate seems to require a few extra movements of my arms for each cycle, so the Hydraulic gets the nod from me. Make mine a 9000H, since it will not require me to advance the machine manually. Every movement saved is less pain for me. I can't speak for the Spolar, since I don't have one and never used one for any length of time. It certainly looks like a fine piece of equipment and it turns out good looking shells. The price is the main issue for me.

I use a non-assisted 9000GN quite a bit, and loading a flat of shells is not a problem. It's when you get to the point where you have been loading for a few hours that you realize you are in trouble with the manual press.

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'll throw another vote for a Hornaday/Pacific 366.

Can never wear them out and flat and a half an hour is quite easy to do.

They come up used for $250 to $300 all the time and new is $550.

Mine is 37 years old and just like a timex....Keeps on tickin'

IMO, it's the best you can get for $300.00!

SW

18. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

We all prefer whatever we have. After all we would be pretty stupid if we hadn't made the best buy with our money wouldn't we?

jim brown

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Deb, I say go for a Mec reloader as well. One reason is the 2 piece hull design now in the Win. AA. They say it can come loose and pop upward in the hull. Well the ram design in the Mec will keep this from happening. You say well I load Rem's STS's and I say How much longer will Rem. be able to keep their machines working before they have to replace them like Win. did. So I say, stay with a Mec. Now on the type. I like to box my shells as I reload. So I like a Grabber model. You have rotate the index by hand and while your hand is doing that you pick up the finished shell and box it. The 9000 GN is faster, but you need to make some kind of ramp for your finished shells to go down and into a bucket and then you have to box these shells up as a seperate job so to speak. Which of these two choices you like is up to you and your loading style. Auto mate is the way to go and do buy new and together as a one deal buy, so its all set up and ready to go. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

20. thunder

thunder Active Member

The PW800+ also has a problem with loading fine grain powder like PB. The powder bleeds down into the gears and cause it to bind up. I tried new o rings, talked to two PW dealers, both stated that the plastic plate on top gets warped, this machine was less than a year old when I finally traded it on a Dillon.

Best primer feed has to be the Hornaday 366. The 366 buildt like a tank and makes great reloads. It got a little hard on my shoulder so I sold it after many shells thru it.

Fastest loader I have is the Mec 9000 Hydro and once you have them setup right they just keep right on producing great reloads. Parts inexpensive and easy to get from customer service.

The Dillion has a learning curve like all of them. The Dillion loves to be loaded with a smooth easy stroke. The hull feeder is a very nice addition. By far the best loader for consistence powder and shot drop. Once you get the primer feed worked in and adjusted it works very well. It also is very easy to run as it has lots of leverage and doesn't bother my shoulder.

If you want a loader that is easy on your body and makes lots of good shells, buy the Mec 9000H with the Hdro pump (also less expensive than other Hydro units). Next on my list would be the Dillion for great reloads and speed.

Just my two cents,
    Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cons on the mec 650

lee load all pros and cons