1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloaders- HOW DO YOU???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slick50, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slick50

slick50 Member

Reloaders how do you keep track of the load your reloader is set up for?? i know some of you have a seperate loader for each guage and/or load. Sometimes i leave my machine for days or weeks and I forget what load it was set up for when I used it last. I am looking for info or examples on how to keep track of my machine set-up.

Thanks
    Bill

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bill, I like to keep it simple. I use the same load for just about everything. I use the same amount of lead in all loads, with the same wad,primer,powder, so all that can change is the powder bushing number for my faster load. Like a #30 bushing for singles and a #31 or a #32 for handicap. This way you will know by checking that bushing what your set up for. Write them down if you need to, leave a post-it on machine whatever. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bill.... I have a strip of velcro attached to the powder bottle on my loader. I made up a bunch of labels that stick to the velcro and have the powder name on them. When reloading Promo, I attach the Promo label to the bottle. When reloading REX II, I switch the labels to REX II. I only reload those 2 powders so it is fairly easy to determine which load I have in the loader at all times. The labels just keep everything as it should be. I can also tell by looking at the shot bottles. I reload 71/2's for handicap and 81/2's for singles so the size of the shot is a dead give away.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I write the load details on a slip of paper and put it on the loader. I then double check the bushings and drops before loading.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I use a piece of big brown paper tape.. I write what's going in.. tear off a strip.. and stick it to the shot tube..

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have stickers that I use on Powder, shot, and charge bar.. I write down the size of shot, type of powder and the charge bar tells me which bushing I have for shot weight , either 7/8, 1 , or 1 1/8 oz. When I change , I just mark out the old and write in the new. I weigh my powder before starting to make sure I have not forgotten anything.

Charlie

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Like Trap 2 Dan, I post a sticker (a slip of "post it") on the shot bottle or on the metal between bottles with the basics. Right now I'm down to two machines and two loads and still mark them so there's no confusion; or at least no more than usual......breakemall......Bob Dodd

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I hang numbered key tags from a hook I made that is held on by a convenient bolt in the front of my P-W loaders. The load details are already recorded in a small notebook on the bench. All my Hornady powder bushings hang on a pegboard behind the loader in their original plastic packaging. The packaging is returned to its proper place when the bushing is removed so the empty package is the bushing in the press. The shot bushings likewise hang on labeled hooks; the empty hook is in the press. <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

PBB and I are on the same page.

But I'm in Alaska....I'm legally required to use duct tape, so I write the load on that and stick it on the bottle.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I only use two different loads and the powder is two totally different colors.

Also the two loads are different powder weights so if I space off the color I can tell the difference by powder weight. I always drop several loads of powder and check the weights before I start a session of reloading.

Bill

11. Duck

Duck Member

Gary any more reloaders hiding?. I had to drag my wife over to show her that multiple reloaders for a shooter is common!. :) Like you I have em set up for different uses.

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use blue masking tape. Tape it to the powder and shot tube. Make the tape on the tube and you are good to go.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm not to scientific. I'm with kraiza. Some tape.

Wayne

[​IMG]

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just like everyone else , use a stick paper with all the info on the powder tube plus mark it on the boxes when finished . I usually only load 1 oz and 700X so "STS-406" would be the bushing size used . Just changed over to an 1 1/8oz. load so "STS-1 1/8-420" would be on the boxes.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I use the back of business cards and write the load data on the card. When I'm done loading, I put the proper card on the loader and it tells me what my last load was. (but I can also tell by what bushing is missing from my bushing display board)

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Masking tape on the shot and powder bottles. Just like the photo above.

17. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Masking tape stuck to the powder hopper works real good. You can write the entire recipe on it and have it all directly in front of you when you sit down in front of the machine.

It's also real easy to change when you want to.

Another way is to never change the load. Then you don't have to worry about anything cuz it is always the same. Tape the labels from the components to the hopper.

It's fun to experiment, but with shotgun shells I see no need to complicate things. Once you've got something that works the way you want it to,,, why change it? I'm doing AA hulls,1 1/8 oz. of #8ish shot, 19.5gr of Green Dot, a Claybuster Wad, and Win 209's. It will probably be like that until I die which hopefully won't be next week!

Randy

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load specific loads in specific hulls. I have mailing labels printed out for different loads which I stick on the boxes and also past one on the wad hopper enxt to the loader and change it each time I change powder or shot.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tape on the shot bottle would not work for me. I would never remember to change the tape. I load 3 different shells: singles, handicap and the first shot of doubles. My shells fall into a large drawer under the loader. I label my boxes 16, HC and 1. I just put in a few boxes with the correct label into the drawer where the shells fall.

Pat Ireland

20. DANNY

DANNY Member

I use masking tape & marker. I put shot size on shot bottle, powder type on powder bottle, & bushing size on chome part of of MEC. bottle holders. I also do the same thing to my jugs of powder just to make me take a second look at the powder I am about to pour in the powder holder. I also only use data from the manufacture's for my reloads. I use 4 MEC loaders & this is what works for me. Please use any method that it take's to insure a proper reload, because I do not want to see you, my grandson or myself which may be shooting beside of you be injured. Saftey is number ONE. I Know that we see many warnings on this site about reloading saftey & you may get tired of it, but I have been in the heavy equiptment repair industry for over 35 yrs. & have seen my share of injuries, some of them where sh-t happens but many could have been prevented if we would have taken 1 small extra precaution. I will get off of my soapbox now. Thank You for reading this reply. Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.