1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Reloaders getting screwed again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Without warning a 'new' recycle business showed up at my club the other morning. Replacing all the garbage barrels with barrels that have locks on them. No more free hulls to reload. Gee, how nice is that? I mean, it does help the club out with expenses. But just puts another nail in the coffin for the reloading community. BTW, the same people running this recycling have a note on their website stating they'll be selling empty hulls soon. People reload in some cases because they can't afford to shoot otherwise. Guess we'll be losing a few more shooters soon also. Jim
  2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Our club is doing the Garrison Green system but they will still allow club member to get all the hulls they want. If you club will not allow you to get hulls I suggest you ask the management for a change.

Tom
  3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

What kind ya loading?
  4. Ross

Ross Active Member

Just put 1 barrel-box-container-etc. inside the clubhouse that non-reloaders can use for their reloading friends, problem solved. I'm a reloader but when on the road or a few other times when I just don't have the space to bring-em home I ask if anyone wants them or have a "special" place for good re-loadable hulls. Ross Puls
  5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

There are a number of things you can do. Post something on the B-Board on what hulls you want. Have a area and or can just for that. Catch people before they put hulls in the locked can. Get a pair of bolt cutters.
  6. b12

b12 Active Member

?By putting locks on the cans, don't that tell you something. Go to another club. Wild Bill
  7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd be amazed if anyone could make a go of selling the kind of hulls that shooters leave behind now a days. Time was once fired STS and AA were there for the picking. Now its all gun clubs and top guns (and burnt out reloads). OK hulls, but not too many people would pay for them if they have a plentiful supply, and those who would pay for them wouldn't pay much. I can't imagine trying to make $20 sorting counting boxing and shipping 1000 hulls.

Generally, grounded hulls are the property of the club, and are theirs to do with as they please. I am surprised to hear of PADLOCKED receptacles being installed, probably part of w/e contract the club signed. I would voice my displeasure with those in charge, and if need be, take my business elsewhere if you aren't satisfied with the outcome. And I'm guessing the recycler won't be too pleased when they pick up the hulls and find that someone has dumped half a coke, old ear plugs, cigarette butts, empty shell boxes, and the trash out of their car into their bins...

BTW, care to share the name of the company doing the recycling?
  8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

As a side note. My club sells ammo over the counter. Sometimes Gun Club, sometimes Top Gun, depending on whats on sale. My thought was when you sell the shells, have the shooter bring back their 25 hulls, dump them in a large bin in the club, and receive 25c back (kinda like a core charge). When someone wants to buy them, sell them for 50c a box. Reloader gets clean dry sorted hulls without too much effort, and the club makes a little bit of money and has less stuff to get someone to throw out.

Probably makes too much sense for anyone to implement though :)
  9. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Most clubs for as long as I can remember have the policy (not enforced) that if the shell hits the ground, it belongs to the club. Also, I would not reload any of the el-cheepo shells I see laying around anyway.
  10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Do what many small gauge shooters do. Purchase a few cases of quality ammunition and save the hulls for reloading. Been doing it for years for 28 gauge and .410 when hulls can't be found at what I think is a good price.

Good for the club that they found a way to cut down on the ammount of junk going to the landfill. Usually not free and cost passed on to membership!
  11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Turn the can upside down and shake it. aven't you ever robbed your kid's piggy bank?

HM
  12. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

What! No more free hulls? Well that would make a guy put away his $15,000 gun, get in his $50,000 Escalade and go home.

Joe
  13. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

We toss dumpsters full of hulls with great regularity - no one wants them. If some company wants to haul them off and maybe make a few bucks then good for them.

I don't see the anti-reloader conspiracy here. If you need hulls buy a few flats of STS and keep the hulls for your own use. Don't waste your time with the range trash.
  14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Jim, You sound like a victimized child who expects everything to come your way. It's your and no one else's responsibilty to self supply hulls for your reloading requirements, not club members. You can either shoot new shells and save the empty's or buy hulls from the club, club member or other sources.

Most clubs have a no throw rule to save (volunteers) unnecssary time and labor picking up someone elses throw aways, the one's thrown are club property.

It's a tough, tough world, ain't it you poor thing................

Surfer
  15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

It is my understanding that all the hulls left on the ground at our local trap range are hauled off as garbage.

The local recycling businesses have told us that they do not want them.

Don't know their reason, but they won't take them.

After everyone has quit shooting for the day and are packing up to leave, I tip the trap kids to bring me all the green or gold hulls they can find.

Some days I pay $5 for as few as a dozen hulls.

Other days I get a garbage bag full.

Have no idea whether I am getting a deal on the hulls or not, but the kids seem to enjoy it.

I reload all of the hulls and so far have not had any issues.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It's true what Ian is saying. The place selling the hulls they are going to get out of those bins will have a hard time making any money. They would have had a hard time "making" any money 20 years ago but they would have had a chance. Now all you see people shooting is junk.

There will always be the odd guy who is shooting premium ammo but they are few and far between.Jeff
  17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Pour one quart of acetone in the barrel to send a message. Now, don't do that, let me think of something else..that would not be nice.
  18. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

There are guys at my range that don't reload, but know I reload anything Remington. Their hulls go from their vest to my bag. I'm a happy shooter. Mark
  19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

The BIG picture here is what happens down the road. At todays prices ( and I look everywhere for components) you can almost within a nickel or so buy Federal paper ammo for the same as reloading. That's counting a 20 dollar rebate and selling the once fired hulls for a nickel a piece. So what happens when the day comes that thousands of people selling components just plain get run out of business? Guesswhat? The rebates dry up. And now the cost is way high again. The ability to reload helps keep prices low. Kill the reloading market and now you can charge any price you want for the product. Kind of reminds you of the big oil companies, doesn't it? Reloaders help to keep new product cheap. Jim
  20. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Federal Top Guns at our Walmart just went from $4.67 a box to $5.97 a box. Price of fuel and lead drives the cost of ammo much more than reloaders. I think reloading is just a blip on the major ammo manufacturers radar, compared to the volume of new shells they sell. I think reloading will continue to save us money, just sometimes more than others. You can only get the rebate on 5 flats. That's less than a month's worth of shooting for most of us. Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.