Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloader question.

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  maclellan1911 
#1 ·
I have a MEC 600 Mark V reloader that I have used for about 10 years not more than 50 shells a week. The question I have is about resizing. I see some shells have copper colored steel bases-not real brass. Does steel make the resizer wear out faster? How can I tell when it wears out? 2str8

#2 ·
2str8, I've had a Mec running since 1975 with just one sizing collet; same with the hydraulic since about 1992. I don't think I'd worry much about how soon it's going to wear out. I've never loaded steel-base hulls but I'd not worry much about wearing out before possibly breaking a finger or two when stray shot gets in the wrong place.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

#4 ·
Yes I would say that in time the shells you speak of will wear quicker on the type resizer a 600 has. I would suspect that a collet sizer where fingers come together and compress the steel back to shape would last longer with less wear. But I've bought 600's for aslittle as $10 at garage sales so Iam sure you can find some inexpensive parts to rebuild yours within the area you live too.

#5 ·
I like the resizer on my little Mec better than the finger type resizers on my larger Mecs. After thousands of reloads the shells come off as precise as the first day I used it. I have never had a shell jam in any gun because the resizer failed me. I have had shells fail with the finger type when they needed cleaning.

#6 ·
2str8

The resizing station on your 600 Jr. uses a hardened steel resizing ring. If you resize and load 50 (or 10,000) brass headed hulls (STS, AA, and/or Gold Medals) every week, the resizing ring will last until the end of time.

Hulls with steel heads accelerate the wear and tear on that resizing ring. As a result, it will definately NOT last as long. At the same rate of 50 (or 10,000) steel headed reloads per week, the ring would need to be replaced about a week BEFORE the end of time. If its any consolation, the full retail price of a new resizing ring is two or three bucks.

sissy

#10 ·
maclellan1911:

I have a small horse shoe magnet from an old crank telephone. I just put it on a half dozen or so STS hulls and two Nitro hulls. There was a definate magnetic attraction until I knocked out the primers. Then there was no attraction.

Was this a trick question?

sissy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.