Trapshooters Forum banner

Reloader question

8K views 50 replies 41 participants last post by  whiz white 
#1 ·
I'm SURE this has been covered before again and again, but I'd like to get a BRIEF summary.

Here goes:

I'm going to buy a progressive reloader to load 20 and 12 gauge. I've been using a MEC Sizemaster and am not at all satisfied with the variation in powder drops or the amount of time it takes me at the bench to load for the 3 shooters in my family.

Which loader do you prefer that is available new and BRIEFLY why is this your choice over others?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
Pacific/Hornady 366. It is built like a freak'n tank. Mine was built in the early 70's and is still cranking out quality reloads. I have not had to replace any major parts. Actually the parts I've had to replace have been very few period and normal wear items when I did. The damn thing just keeps on ticking along.

Here she is........
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lwRDYFOVnZI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#5 ·
I've been very satisfied with my mec 9000g. I've got 2 of them the first one I bought over 20 years ago. Had very little trouble with it. I have had to replace a few parts but it was my falt. I got a little too aggressive with it and bent the handle when I first got it and made a few learning curve mistakes when a piece of shot got in the resizer and wouldn't let the shell drop all the way down into the resizer. I do also have a spolar I just got last year if you really want to load shells fast and effortless and you can afford one they are great.

#6 ·
I'm going through the learning curve of my new PW 900. It's not a easy to use as my MEC 9000H at this point. Spilled a lot of shot so far.
With the MEC the important thing is to watch the primer, same with the PW, get past the primer and things seem to work OK.
Seems to be lot more adjustment with the PW to make it work but I"m sure once I've got it tuned it'll do just fine.
Me, I'd tell you to go with a MEC 9000

#8 ·
For your reloading needs, a hydraulic loader would be my choice. I load on a Mec 9000H, and have for a lot of years. Easily turns out more than enough shells in an hours time than you can imagine. Priced right, built very well, and backed by one of the best customer service departments anywhere. You can spend more, for sure, but that extra money won't buy you better reloads, nor will it buy you a loader that will load any faster than a Mec 9000H.... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

#10 ·
We have two 366 and one pw 800 plus with hyd. and hull feed. The pw is very easy to change bushings along with powder and shot. The 366 is simple and cheaper to get into. Most of the small volume loads are setup on the 366 and the production jobs on the pw. If you can afford the pw its the way to go with one of the drive units. Not so sure with the manual seams a little hard unless you run all brass hulls. Booth are great units and will last longer than we will.

#11 ·
I just bought a p/w 800 plus. I used to use a mec 9000 g. It's a little different than the pw. It takes a little time to get used to. After about 100 rounds I'm used to it. The ponsness warren 800 plus is an excellent machine. Probably weighs 20 pounds more than the mec. Very accurate powder drops. Hi quality machine. Expensive! But worth every dollar. I like it a lot.
Andy

#12 ·
I would say most of your powder drop issues is because you are using a single stage loader in the sizemaster instead of a progressive. I have several MEC 8567 Grabber progressive loaders (basically the same thing as the MEC 9000 but without auto indexing) and I have had a MEC Sizemaster for 30 years and have MEC 600JR. The single stage ones definitely vary due to having to pull the handle 5 times for each shell and also hitting the bar each time. You sometimes hit the bar harder or let the handle go harder which compresses the powder more. You don't have all the jostling around with the progressive. I have found that I have to put a smaller powder bushing in my Sizemaster to throw the same powder as my progressive does just because of that jostling.

I normally load Red Dot, Green Dot, or International Clays and my progressive Mec's might vary 1/10th of a grain from one load to another. Normally there is no difference. You might see a bigger difference if you are using some very small very dense powder (some of the Winchester powders would fall into this).

#13 ·
Have a Grabber in 410, 650 in 28 & 20, and a RCBS Grand in 12. Got rid of a Mec 9000 for the RCBS and it was the best move I've made. I will get one in 20 gage in time and wish they made them in 28 & 410. You can run shell thru if you want. It will not drop powder unless a shell is under the station and will not drop shot unless there is a wad in the hull. Powder bottle holds a little over a pound and shot bottle holds 25 pounds. Built like a tank with a solid action. RCBS guarantees them and replaces most parts for free. My only complaint would be that it needs a bigger primer tray.

#14 ·
Have used various reloaders over the years in multiple gauges from MEC 600 Jr, H 366, MEC Grabbers, RCBS Grand, and last year sold all and converted to PW 800 Plus for all 4 gauges. Have been using for many months now, and once I was past the initial learning curve and learned how to make the gauge conversions, I am quite impressed. Basically for what I sold 3 Grabbers and one RCBS for, I was into what I have. Nice machinery, same reloading exercise for all gauges, and most importantly quality reloads. PW 800 Plus is working for me.

Game Warden

#15 ·
Interesting, I'm surprised no one mentioned Spolar Gold? I struggled with Mec's for a while, they were good but finicky, have to watch like a hawk or they get away from you. Spolar makes a great machine, I load 20 and 12, takes me 5min to change gauge's. Yesterday I loaded 800 rounds in less than 3 hrs. I'm slow, but i only wasted 1 hull. With my Mec's it would have doubled my time and i would screwed up more hulls. The Spolar is pricey, but it makes the job much easier and more fun. The reloading time I mentioned above
included set-up, clean-up and boxing up all shells. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

#17 ·
Use a old PW 800 convertable with 12 gauge dies only & load ~ 7000 shells annually. PW's current loader of similar design is the 800 Plus. Have upgraded hoppers, bushing plate, primer seating die and added larger primer tray and have hydraulic drive set on the SLOW speed. I stay away from steel based hulls because of ejection issues with the full length resizing dies. I can load over a flat without adding any components and average a relaxed speed by myself of 1 per 6 seconds. Mounted the hyd. valve under loading bench with handle protruding thru top of bench on right side. Operates up/down with flick of rist, smooth and not noisy. Once fired GM's look like new.

#20 ·
In my opinion there is only one choice, and that's the Hornady/Pacific 366. You simply can't wear them out and are a very easy press to learn how to operate. I have owned MEC and Ponsness Warren in the past but never again. Spolar is so overpriced it's ridiculous and offers very little over the press designs they copied to make it. It resembles a 366 more than any other and that should tell us something.

#21 ·
I have six MEC Grabbers for all gauges plus a couple of extras in 12 gauge (one set up for 1 oz. and one for 1 1/8 oz.). Additionally, I have a 12 gauge RCBS. All have functioned well with little maintenance. I've never had any problems with varying powder drops in any of my MEC machines, except as described below, and I've used all sorts of powders from Red Dot to ball powders. The Grabbers are faster than the RCBS, but he RCBS turns out a better looking load. I have the RCBS and two of the others mounted on a couple of benches and swap out the MEC's when I need to change gauges. One of the early problems I encountered with the Grabbers is that it was possible to cycle the handle too fast. On the down stroke, the bar drops shot and is pushed under the powder. If cycled too fast, it is possible to pick up a partial load of powder. My routine is to have a ± one second pause at the bottom of the stoke. This ensures the powder bushing is full.

Johnpe

#25 ·
There are no bad choices. Do your homework and see what the differences are between each machine. You can go on Youtube and watch videos of every shotshell reloader available. They are all different and each has pros and cons.

Asking about reloaders is just like asking about your favorite gun. Everybody is different and has different priorities and different budgets. And there is a lot of emotion tied up in reloading machines. It is very much a Ford vs Chevy deal.

I would suggest writing down what is important to you, and then making an assessment of each machine against that list. The answer might become obvious.

#26 ·
The OP mentioned getting one loader but making ammo for two gauges. A better approach IMO would be to get two separate machines. With that in mind I would suggest the 366. They make great ammo and simple enough to maintain. The used market price is usually around $350 for a decent machine.

I am admittedly prejudice on this as I have 3 of the 366 loaders. I did own a PW 800B for awhile and never liked it as much. The PW did make nice shells but it was awful easy to mess up on. I do keep a MEC 600 around for loading those pesky little .410s.

Spolar also makes a great loader but you will pay for it. A person could make a lot of shells for the price difference between a 366 and a Spolar.

I never had the desire to get a hydraulically powered loader but they would be a good choice for the person with a shoulder injury or similar problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.