1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloader opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mt92, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt92

mt92 Member

I am going to buy a reloader for 12ga and was wanting some opinions with experiance behind them.
    I am tore beetween a Dillon SL-900 with a casefeeder or a P/W press.
    Also does the Dillon resize the shell? Is that needed?
    Please let me know your opinions and why.
    Thanks Mike

2. John 53

John 53 Member

MEC 9000H.

Costs a lot less and pretty reliable.

Watch your primer drop EVERY time, and you are good to go.

John

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You will get different opinions. Mine would be the Dillon and I own a PW. Nothing wrong with PW just a few quirks they could have perfected and chose not to. The Dillon warranty is the best in the business. Bar none

4. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

mt92, P/W also has a casefeeder available for their presses. I have an older 800B that works very good. Yes, I beleive you have to resize your hulls.If you shoot multiple guns or pick up hulls at the range.If your finances will allow it I would recommend the Spolar. There is nothing better in my opinion.I have one with hydraulic which is the smoothest working loader I've ever had and I have had many over about 50 yrs of shooting. Hope this helps. George

5. dws

dws TS Member

As cubancigar2000 stated, you will get different opinions.

I've owned both and now only own one and that's the Dillon - I prefer the Dillon. Moreover, the service "if needed" from Dillon is top shelf.

Dennis

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon, end of story............

7. mt92

mt92 Member

Does the Dillon resize?
    Thanks Mike

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

One of posters here just sold a Dillon on here yesterday for $600 shipped ( good buy and went fast)

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon, yes they resize on the first station.

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

I know a MEC 9000 is not one of your choices, but I've had one for about a year. What was unique for me was that I bought it pretty cheap and in pretty bad shape. Parts and service from MEC was flawless. Phone support from MEC was absolutely fastastic. LOTS of fellow shooters have one and gave me good advice. It works extremely well now. And I saved a LOT of money.

If I had the resources, I would get a Dillon. I use their metallic reloading equipment and it is great. I'm very glad I bought it a long time ago when I had the $$.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you will reload a lot, get the PW 800+ with case feeder or the Spolar. These are the two machines I now use.

I have owned them all except for the RCBS Grand and Hornady 366.

The Dillon has a case feeder that is way too small for 12 ga hulls. You will fill it every 10 minutes.

If you go with the PW - get it from Whiz White - he is on this site and a superb guy to deal with.

Don

12. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

MT92 - In my opinion, you can spend alot of money purchasing some "high end" loaders or you can put your hard earned money towards purchasing a MEC.

I own several MECS. These machines are reliable, they produce quality reloads, and their service department is terrific. I believe that they are "employee owned", and all of the guys that I have talked to are fellow shooters. I believe in MEC and in their employees 100 percent.

Whatever you do, good luck and good shooting.

Dave

13. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i lucked out and bought a used 800 b for $250,and cant be happier,15 min. i have 150 factory fresh looking shells in back of it,havent seen a mec crimp yet that compares to my ponsness,and if you look you can get great used equipment for alot less,left me with $400-$500 for componets,thats alot of shells,mark

14. STOS

STOS Member

If you really want to save some money get a LEE LOAD ALL you get a new round every 5 mins or so.But on a more serious note you can not beat a P/W 800PLUS.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

For gosh sakes, don't buy a Mec whatever you do.

They probably out number all other reloaders out there by at least 20 to 1. Maybe more.

Hauxfan!

16. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I too like the MEC 9000H. Probably because it's what I'm used to. Could not make the Dillon work properly at all. Some really like them but not me.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Huaxfan,
    You could be right - so what??

Fords probably outnumber Mercedes by 100 to 1. It does not make them better.

If a Ford is all someone needs/wants or can afford it is a decent car but it is no Mercedes. Nothing wrong with New York Strip steak but it is not a Chateaubriand. See what I mean?

If you ever load on a PW or Spolar you will understand why it costs more than a MEC. There is a difference. And unlike a Mercedes, a reloader is one purchase that will last a lifetime. Why not have the best and enjoy the hobby of making shells?

I doubt many PW or Spolar owners have ever decided to go back to a MEC - but that could be stubborn pride too - LOL.

Don

18. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Don, Ask me about the Dillon experience sometime at Birmingham.

19. mt92

mt92 Member

It is going to be either a Dillon Sl-900 or a P/W LS1000 900 elite.
    Will this model of p/w resize?
    Thanks Mike

20. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

dverna,I did and couldn't be happier..With the extra money I bought a 9000H and another 391, not a K-GUN but it does pretty well by me.....

Don't get me wrong,a Spolar and a K-GUN are works of art but, pretty alone,doesn't break targets......

Hope I haven't upset anyone..... GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.