1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloader Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rohitdean, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Hi All,

I have come across an opportunity to buy a used MEC 600 Jr. 12 GA in good condition. I believe it is a pre- '82 model but I have yet to confirm it. Now I am completely new to reloading. I shoot 2 boxes of shells a week (on average). Since I have got excellent advise on this forum in the past, I will pose these questions to my fellow trapshooters.

1. Would this be something you would recommend to a total reloading newbie? I am a little mechanically inclined and can follow simple directions but I am not a machinist or a mechanical engineer.

2. The asking price is $50.00. What should one expect to pay for something like this? I know this is a loaded question but I would like to hear some opinions about this.

3. Due to the resizing mechanism on these things (ring vs. grabber) will I be frustrated after my first couple of hundred loads or after my first couple of thousand loads or is this not a consideration at all?

4. What are some other considerations for this reloader or for any first reloader for a complete newbie - like purchasing a separate super sizer, weighing scale to calibrate the powder bushings and shot charge?

5. Should I save more money for something like a Grabber or a 9000G?

I know there are some MEC and some P/W or other brand owners out there, I would like to hear from all camps about their opinions.

Thanks in advance for your inputs to help me make this important decision.

Sincerely

Rohit S. Dean

2. JCS

JCS TS Member

If you only load 2 boxes per week, any loader will do just fine, as long as it functions OK.

Personally, for 2 boxes a week, I would not bother with reloading .

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you intend to do reloading as an interesting diversion (which it appears it will be), any loader will do as has been stated. But keep in mind that you cannot be any less careful or pay any less attention to detail in you work than someone who reloads 4 or more flats a week.

That means (to me) that you will also want to purchase at least a simple reloader's beam scale to verify the weight of your powder charges and that you will want to do some research to locate load formulas that will suit your needs. And once you have found them, follow them strictly without substituting components or changing quantities "just to see how it works".

Reloading on any level is serious business.

Morgan

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

For fifty bucks you can buy ten to twelve boxes of shells (5 to 6 weeks of shooting). The cost isn't just the reloader, believe me, you will have a couple of hundred dollars tied up before you load a shell. As for your question the JR will work fine. Richard

5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I started with a 600jr. and still use it occasionally to play with test loads; I use my 9000g for volume production. The 600 is easy to setup and once you get into the rhythm, it produces good shells at an acceptable rate for lower volume shooting. It is a good machine to learn on. The ring re-sizer works fine if you are loading hulls with decent brass. I load only STS (and the Nitro variations).

Get an accurate scale and use it often. 50 bucks is about right.

Good luck.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would recommend a MEC 600 Jr to anyone starting reloading.

Pat Ireland

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

hi rohit, i started reloading 15 years ago with a mec 600 jr. i still reload but with a mec 9000g. if i were to do it again, i would start by buying a USED MEC Grabber which i have seen on Ebay sell for about $100.00. it comes with a resizer, primer feed and will load one shell per stroke of the handle. this way, if you decide to load more than two boxes a week, you will have the equipment. for what its worth. jm

8. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Thanks to all those who responded. I bought a flat of Winchester AAs yesterday and I guess I will be loading those once I am done with them. The Gentleman who currently owns the reloader has it setup for Trap/Skeet loads. He is not sure if it is 1 1/8 or 7/8 oz. I guess I can reverse engineer that from the charge bar/bushing markings. I will stay on the lookout for a scale and will only reload after confirming the load recipe for the powder, shot, wad, hull, primer combination using the scale. I would have never thought of questioning the consistency/repeatability of the charge bar and bushing, but you have an excellent point there Capt. Morgan!

The price of $50.00 seemed reasonable to me and if I want to upgrade, I can always keep this one for experimentation |:-o|

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Rohit,

The 600 MEC is a great loader to learn the ropes with. This machine will make excellent quality ammo with a short learning curve. The production rate of the 600 is more than enough to cover your current shooting requirements. Fifty dollars is about 40% of what these machines sell for today so you won't get hurt too badly. The potential problem with a used loader is that it may need adjustment and/or repair where as a new machines generally come out of the box properly adjusted with no broken parts. Your first batch of components will probably cost you twice what the loader does. A scale is a must have accessory needed for verification that you are assembling ammo within published guidlines. You will also need a decent reloading manual with up to date load data.

If you decide to give the hobby of reloading a try you will probably enjoy the experience but be forewarned that you could get 'hooked' and get into bigger machines and more shooting. The current prices of component Vs the cost of factory loaded 'promo' shells does not justify reloading. (costs more to roll your own) This current trend is unique in my 30 years of reloading shells and will probably reverse itself.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

pre 82 models had foil stickers on base indicating models after 82 stamped directly onto base. I have several charge bars new resize rings ect ect for 600jr and also grabber/650 parts. If you think you

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Flincher, Are the bars with no powder bushing the 500series bars? I just got a pre 82 600 jr didnt even clean it just ran a few shells thru to check opperations, worked flawless, even the primer drop. Rohit as far as resize, if you shoot new shells then reload and shoot in same gun, you shouldnt have many problems. When getting onced fired from other sorce I would resize, I use a old jr just for resize. My 650 doesnt resize. If I did not get my loaders that I have for great prices. I would have got the 9000. I got 2 650 12 and 20 loaders at yard sale for 70bucks for the pair. Like I said I have plenty of charge bars and bushings for 600jr and versamec. all types of other parts also. Sell cheap + ship

12. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I think flincher100 is right, shop around.

Just a thought, if you have a shooting pal that reloads, he might let you reload a
    couple of boxes a week on his loader. I think a used SIZEMASTER (single stage MEC)would be a better buy. If you buy that old of JR, check the resizing tube to make sure the chrome is not coming off on the inside. It will rust and gouge your hulls.

Where are you located? If your close I could maybe help.

13. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Shady Creek,

I am in Northern VA and plan to pick up the JR from the Greater Philadelphia area on my way to Long Island tonight. I forgot to mention that the gentleman is also throwing in some powder, shot, wads and hulls with it (no primers). Once I buy the primers, I will be able to squeeze out 10 boxes of 1 1/8 oz loads (more if I do 1 or 7/8 oz loads) and that alone will recover my cost (given what I spent at Dicks for the AAs I bought last night $52.29 out the door).

And of course, I will check the inside of the resizing tube for rust/corrosion.

All,

I was sad to hear that he is putting his guns away and thought this deal would help both of us get what we want. I will advise him - in case he decided to sell his guns, to put them up for sale on TS.com to get a reasonable offer.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Thanks
    Rohit

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Rohit, I have several sizers avalible, Email me. I also have many bushings bars and odd ball parts.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Rohit, I have several sizers avalible, Email me. I also have many bushings bars and odd ball parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.