1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloader MEC or Spolar ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RHAT, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

I would like thoughts on which reloader would be the best, ease of use, durable,. ect,...... NEC or Spolar,...... without considering the cost of the unit,......... So if I was to Budget $2500.00 to buy equipment for reloading trap loads,....... which would be the best ????

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No brainer, spolar

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I am not sure you are being serious here? Both do a great job of reloading a suitable shell. Much like a VW and Rolls will both get you to the same place, one just does it more eloquently than the other.

I have used Mec and for the money, makes a good shell. A Spolar will be rolling along smoothly years after the Mec has gone on to make beverage containers in another life.

I personally use a P/W 800+ and could not be happier with the finished product. They all make a good reload, it just depends on the ride to get there, and how long that ride will last. If Spolar had a empty hull feeder on station 1 like the P/W, well, I would probably need one of them also.

4. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

The hook is in the water and the fish are starting to circle......if money is no object, Spolar.

$2000 for a hydro unit and loader is the steal of the century, add in the cover and bushings, and you should be arrested for larceny! That's roughly $800 to $900 LESS than retail, including shipping or tax. (shipping outside of Ca. or tax inside of Ca.)

5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pretty hard to believe this is a real question-

BUT:

I have seen a lot of MECs, hydraulic and otherwise. I bought the Dillon.

Then my elbow started troubling me, and I bought the Spolar Hydraulic. Never looked back.

If you haven't seen one work, it is hard to explain-

But if Drew's had been for sale after the Grand last year, I wouldn't have spent so much money on the new one.

If I was in the market for a reloader, Drew would be headed for UPS or FEDEX today.

Bob

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

If it was me I would buy a MEC 9000 H and spend the other $1800 on 4 or 5 bags of shot!

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have the Mec 9000 on the Automate II. I load a flat of shells in about 15 minutes. I have considered the Spolar but have taken the extra money and bought reloading supplies. Nice would be the Spolar but the MEC will serve you well. Jake

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a mec off a gent who purchased a spolar, ok money not an issue, spolar.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ok maybe a baited question, but with a new mec hydro unit or auto mate running 1200.00 plus shipping. Also depending on product support......
    Here in the north east you see MEC more than any other, hornady. after that its a slim few that have the polar,dillon or RCBS for shotshell. I will admit that I think there are a lot of features missing on a mic to start with. case activated shot and powder drops would be nice. auto shell feed ect ect. I love my mecs and once set up for my components they crank out great shells. After watching a solar crank them out though I am impressed.

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I started off reloading with a MEC, not impressed. Bought a Dillon. Now thats a press. Spolar is top notch. Small investment will last a lifetime. Dave T.

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I sell Reloaders and Reloading Components. I run a Christmas Special on here on MEC Reloaders, every December. I will give you my opinion, for what it is worth. LOL! I do not have access to sell Spolar's. I do have access to sell MEC, Hornady, Dillon, and RCBS. This is not knocking any product, but I get mainly all calls for MEC. I personally load on a MEC Hydraulic and on a Hornady 366. My #1 selling reloader this past year was the MEC 9000E (Auto-Mate). It outsold all the others 10 to 1. The next top seller was the MEC Sizemaster, and then was the MEC 9000G. I personally believe that a person wanting to load shells close to Factory should consider these options. #1...do you and the loader get along? This is important to me. I have owned several MEC 9000G reloaders, and couldn't wait to sell them. I could never get quality shells out of them. I have customers that love the 9000G, and will only buy that loader. Everyone is different. Also does this loader function good for you? I have loaded, and spent more time cleaning up messes than making shells. #2....Consistency. When you pull the lever, stomp the pedal, etc. Do you have consistent drops? One thing that makes me nervous is having off-sounding shells. It starts messing with your head from a safety and target breaking stand point. I do believe that a loader that is Hydraulic or Electric is more consistent. That loader only has one speed due to the motor. If you yank the handle like crazy, or let the handle fly up, you might not get consistent drops. Even though I believe that the Hydraulic or Electric is more consistent, I have been loading the past 2 months and 3000 shells on a Hornady 366. I check weights quite frequently, and have seen nothing erratic. I have also not had any blooper shells. #3...Economics. This ties number one and number two together. Are you and this loader a one piece unit? Do you spill enough shot, powder, etc., that you would be better off buying factory ammo? Does this reloader make reloading enjoyable, more than a pain in the rear. Like I mentioned before this is just my opinion. I get alot of calls from people asking what I prefer or suggest. This is what I tell them. I hope everyone reading has a safe and fun reloading and shooting Spring! See ya'll on the trap line.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have owned Mec 9000H (non progressive) , 9000H (self-indexing), and Spolar. I like my Spolar very much. I also have been impressed with the new Mec Automate loaders. All fine reloaders and quality people that stand behind their products. That being said, I believe the Spolar gives very consistent powder drops.
    Customer service is important. Once had a problem with the old Mec and I called them . They were great and solved it over the phone. Spoalr was tipping primers, called Dicksie and Carter, they had me ship the part to them and they fixed it.

Charlie

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Get the mec and spend the rest for components and shooting fees. But if the question which one you should get for the most money?

Rock

Jim

14. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

RHAT,I have been loading shells for about 50yrs. I have had all kinds of loaders including Mec,P.W.Hornady,etc.I thought a loader that worked was all that was needed.I usually loaded shells maybe 2 hrs before going shooting.I liked to have fresh ones.I bought a used Spolar from a friend who passed aways widow. I am totaly addicted. I can't pass buy it without stopping and loading some shells. I guess I'll have to get a cover for it so I can't see it,so if you can afford it go for the Spolar.George

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I have to chime in here - I had a MEC 9000G, and it loaded great shells. However, I was loading 500 per week, and getting a rotor cuff problem (Like Trapshooter1). I went the the Spolar 7 years ago, with 20/28 hydr. and NEVER looked back. While the investment was significant, it was worth every penny.

I have friends with MEC, and recommend then for low volume loaders - they are great machines. But for high volume, high quality shells, the Spolar simply wins hands down.

I also have a friend with a Poss - new one that has changeable gauges. Frankly, it is a very poor machine in many ways. Simply not as well engineered and built as the Spolar. I helped him set it up, and it was a PIA.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a Dillon. One half the cost of a Spolar. But more than the MEC by a third. It will make shells as fast as you can fill componets. And I love the automatic shell hopper. However, if Spolar had a shell hopper with the electric auto index, and I had the funds, that would be the way to go.

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Had a Dillon no thanks . The primer tray is way to small as is the powder hopper The shot hopper is six feet in the air The hull feeder sounded like a concrete mixer running in my shop To dam much plastic crap .

Dillon tryed to make a shot shell loader out of a pistol loader (XL-650) .

18. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Save your money, buy a used MEC 650 as I did 30 yrs. ago and still loading on it today. Keep in mind it doesn't size the rim but I found that I have used the same shell in 4 different break-open guns and have not had one stick yet. Best progressive loader for the lowest price. Take what money you have left and buy gold. BT-100dc

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a Spolar for sale: $1300.

Whiz

20. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Dillion SL900 had Mec, Hornady 366 good loaders but cant compare to my Dillion. Only problem is a missed primer once in a while or empty does not get all the way under the resizer. Just learn to watch and feel and you can crank off a 100 like a joke in the break room....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

durablity of mec 650

spolar reloader or dillon

where to buy a used mec hydraulic reloader