1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloader for a newbie

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by strawboss38679, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawboss38679

strawboss38679 TS Member

Which reloader would you recommend for a newbie to reloading?

Nathan

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

the mec sizemasters i am going to sell in 3-4 days lololol not.

for real now--

if you are shooting an over and under i would recommend you start out with a mec 600 jr. single stage,it loads one shell at a time as you progress it thru each station by hand.

Bill

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A 600 or 650 MEC, plus a good selection of bushings, a decent scale along with an illustrated 'how to' shotshell reloading guide.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

At least a 650 Mec. Just make sure that you get a progressive loader. You want a finished shell with every pull of the handle.

Hauxfan!

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I started with a MEC Jr. It's the easiest way to learn. Then you will go to a 9000 shortly thereafter, but keep the Jr. for trying new recipes, and also for de-priming.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I wouldn't suggest a 650, even though it doesn't have the auto indexing feature, there is still quite a learning curve using it. I started with a 600 jr. when I started, then I eventually upgraded to a 650, it was a little tricky figuring out how the loader worked and how to not spill powder every time I went to load. The 600 is near impossible to mess up on, just make sure you pay close attention to what you are doing. Hope this helps, Josh.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

i use a case conditioner to size and deprime to keep trash off of my pws primer feeder. if i pick up hulls from the club i deprime them asap in case they had gotten wet also.

bill

8. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I would like to see anyone getting into or an experienced person getting started in reloading to buy the best you can. I went the route of small capasity, save a buck reloader and have spent a lot more later in my shooting for the Ponsness WArren I have today. I should have bought the better one first.

9. recurvyarcher

Handy for when you have to cut open bad shells and you want to recover the primers (do this at your own risk, and not if you are new to reloading, and always wear safety goggles), or when you want to wash and dry the hulls before reloading (easier to dry when de-primed).

10. bkt

bkt TS Member

About two years ago I started reloading with an older LEE LOAD-ALL, and a new electronic scale. For the last six months I bought a MEC 650N, and have progressed with some nice Trap Loads following Manufacturer Recommendations. I like it, and maybe someday will move to a better unit, but for now it works nicely........bruce

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I would buy the cheap little mec first. It is a good reloader that will last forever. A lot of shooters find out they don't like reloading. Better to find that out with a cheap one.

12. strawboss38679

strawboss38679 TS Member

do you trust the resizer on the MEC 600 or buy a super sizer?

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I never had any trouble with the resizer on my Mec 600's. I have a super sizer but never use it.

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I went straight to my Spolar, and have never looked back. There are many other loaders that offer good bang for the buck. But each of them has a downside. Other than the cost factor of the machine, I would not mess around with any other reloader.

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

strawboss38679:

I have two 9000G loaders, a Supersizer, a 600 Jr. and a MEC Case Conditioner.
    The Case Conditioner is a stand alone resizer that works exactly the same as the deprime/resize station on a 600 Jr.

I use the Case Conditioner when I resize hulls as a separate operation. That usually means when I load el cheapo hulls with a steel head. I rarely use the 600 Jr and only then to 'fix' an occasional screw up.

The Supersizer sits gathering dust on a shelf - where it will stay - until I wear out a collet or break a collet finger. IMO the only value it has is as a source of a spare collet.

What I'm trying to say is that the hardened steel resizing rings on 600 Jrs and Case Conditioners are as close to fool proof as life gets. Unlike a collet resizer which is problematic under a few circumstances, there is virtually nothing that can go wrong with the resizing ring on a 600 Jr. or Case Conditioner.

sissy

PS: I suggest learning how to load on a single stage loader like a 600 Jr. You can probably borrow one. If not, used units are cheap and common.

Once you fully understand the reloading process, and assuming you shoot any real volume of shells, you're going to want a progressive.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

One thing you can do with a 600 later if you decide to upgrade to a progressive reloader, is use it for special purpose shells. I have a 12 gauge progressive and a 12 and 20 gauge 600. Because of the volume of 20 gauge shells I am now shooting I find myself wanting a progressive 20 gauge loader. I will keep the 20 gauge mec 600 and set it up for the 3 inch shells I reload for waterfowl and turkey.

17. recurvyarcher

EE, not if you are constantly reloading on it like I do. Each station is always full. When I shut down for the evening, I leave it with a wad sitting at the shot station, and a used hull in the depriming station...ready to start again tomorrow.

Everything is covered with the beautiful cover that Lisa S. sent me for my birthday last year (I love her).

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Recurvy, did she make it in pink with red MEC letters. LOL mike.

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I learned on a 9000, The gent who showed me how. Disconected the auto idex and the primer drop. Made me load one shell at a time until I got better. then 2 shells ect ect until I was up to full speed. I ended up buying a 650 for less money than a 600jr new. If you do as the MEC instructions tell you. LOAD ONE SHELL AT A TIME until you get used to all that is going on. One shell at a time=a single stage loader. BUT if you come across a good deal on any Mec loader, like 25.00 for a Jr or 75.00 for a 650. They are good to grab and learn on. Also as stated you can try different loads with any extra loaders you end up with.

20. recurvyarcher

EE...never change my recipe. Unofortunately, I'm still at the 20, so there's no need.

Michael: It's made out of RED and BLACK shot bags. The coloring fits me pretty well. If you add an "L" to the end of my real name, you know. Or so some people would have you believe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.