1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADER FOR 28GA.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MCKJR, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCKJR

MCKJR TS Member

I WON A BERETTA 28 GA. OVER AND UNDER AND LOVE TO SHOOT IT,BUT THE PROBLEM IS AMUNITION, I DONT KNOW RATHER TO BUY DIES FOR MY HORNADY 366, OR BUY A MEC PROGRSSIVE RELOADER AND KEEP MY 366 SET UP FOR 12 GA.. A.A. SHELLS FOR 28 GA ARE ABOUT $12BUCKS HERE.I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU GUYS AND YOUR RECOMENDATIONS.---JIM MCKEE---SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a MEC Sizemaster in 28 gauge. It makes excellent shells but is a bit on the slow side.

I have a Hornady 366 in 28 gauge. Works pretty good (I have 12 gauge and 20 gauge 366's too). The wad insertion station does not allow enough room as it occasionally folds a pedal in. The shells do not always drop through the hole in the platen at the end of the cycle.

I just purchased a set of 28 gauge tooling for my Ponsness/Warren 900. It does a much better job than the Hornady 366.

You should try the Downrange Pattern Control PC28 wads. This is the best wad I have found for loading both old and HS AA hulls. The petals are always in good shape and they never catch on the wad ram.

Jim Skeel

3. JPM

JPM Member

I have a PW 375 set up for 28 ga. I load WW HS, WW Old Style, and Rem STS hulls on it, interchangeably, with no problems. I use the Claybuster HS clone wad with the HS hulls, and the Duster 28 ga wads in the others. I also use Herco powder - not in the mainstream of 28 ga loaders but after talking with an Alliant ballestician I have confidence in the safety parameters and I am entirely satisfied with the performance on dove, quail, 5-stand, sporting clays, skeet, and the occasional round of 16 yard trap.
    I'm loading for substantially under $4.00 per box, and my loads chrono at about 1250 fps.
    I've been loading with PW 375's for over 30 years without any problems or complaints. Yep, they are a little slow but I view reloading as recreation so cranking out high volume loads is not a priority for me. I'm always several thousand rounds ahead, so the low volume is never an issue.
    The only problem that I would anticipate for you is finding a supply of hulls. It's expensive to start from scratch by purchasing factory ammo, but you can find once fired hulls if you look for them.
    My personal recommendation - look around for a used PW 375. If you get one set up for other guages you can buy the tooling for 28 ga reasonably. In my experience they are bulletproof. Or buy a new one from a dealer or the factory already set up for 28 ga. It's a good investment.
    John Matthews

4. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Spolar, One reloader on your bench and 5 min. gauge changes with no adjustments needed.

I load 12 and 28 on mine.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Buy a reloader, MEC progressive.

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'll second the PW 375 recommendation. You really don't need a progressive loader unless you're shooting more than 4-5 boxes a week. I can load about 125 shells/hour with mine, and they are top quality since each shell gets individual attention at each station. I can visually ensure that the wads are going in straight and uncocked, and that the precrimp is finding the old creases for a perfect crimp. Unlike the larger gauges, the 28 and .410 can be a bit fussy sometimes to reload on a progressive machine. ....Rick

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a P/W 375. The MEC Sizemaster is a much better loader. It is way faster than the P/W 375. It will size the rim of the hull which is important if you buy once fired hulls. The MEC Sizemaster will make a better crimp and it has a primer feed.

Jim Skeel

8. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Not just because I sell mec, but a sizemaster is a great loader with a collet and turns out a great 28ga shell.

thanks
    lee

9. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

If you have the space, every time you buy a new gauge, buy a new PW. after four machines you will be set for life along with your kids.

10. tj303

tj303 Member

MEC 9000

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

MEC 9000 (mine is the H model)

12. Setterman

Mine is a 9000G. 400 Rounds in an hour +/-. Great crimps.

13. bpcr

bpcr TS Member

I got a dillon 900 i am not using i will sell.

14. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have a collection of loaders but the PW 375 is my favorite for 28 and .410. Ron

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I will send this Mec Jr 28 gage reloader to you for 60 bucks. I will also include a powder and shot bottle and whatever size bushing you want. I never used it, but it appears to be in VERY good-to-excellent condition and not used very much. It is very dusty and would clean up to look perfect.
    [​IMG]

16. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

MEC 9000... I can load 400+ shells per hour without hurrying, and they make great looking shells. Fellow I know who loads on a Spolar has more misfires than anybody I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure it isn't the fault of the equipment but I wouldn't shoot his shells if you paid me. Only problem I've ever had with shells off my MECs was a batch I loaded one morning after working all night. Shouldn'a done that.

Jed

17. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

Thats funny the guy I know with the most misfires loads on a MEC?

18. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I used to load 28 on a P-W 375 and it did very nicely indeed. Then I got the gauge conversions for my 800+ and have never looked back. .410 is a bit fussy, but 28 loads just as easily as 12.

Tony

19. Setterman

I shoot my 28 gauge guns more since I got a progressive loader. I can load 400 rounds pretty quick and they are inexpensive to shoot. When I had my single stage, I dreaded reloading and "saved" my 28 for special shoots.

A bit of a warning however about what componants you ultimately use. It took a little adjustment/work to get the crimps right. I use Longshot and all HS AA componants. It can be like putting 10 pounds in a 5 pound beg till you get it adjusted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 ga reload misfires

how difficult is it to convert mec 12 ga sizemaster to 28ga

mec 9000 reloader misfires

who ia a ballestician