1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloader Advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duffybear69, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

This winter I am thinking of buying a reloader to start loading my own shells and was wondering if anyone had any advise on reloaders (such as problem brands, ect).

Thank you for your time and hope to get some good advise.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. A good value for the money is the MEC 9000GN. It will load shells quite well and can produce at a fairly fast rate. The support and service is excellent. They run somewhere around $350 or a bit more brand new. Add a good scale and some extra bushings and you are in business. Any of the Brand Name presses are decent. If you know of a few people trhat reload and have various presses, see if they will give you a quick tour of theirs. They can show you how they work and you can get a feel for the hardware. PW, RCBS, Dillon, Spolar, etc, are all good machines too.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

As with anything, all have their faults. I have only seen mecs in action and one PW. I came across a MEC 650 at a yard sale w/universal charge bar 35.00. I can crank out a case in just over an hour. I just loaded my 2000th shell with only 2 missfires. once set up it works great. MEC helped me get it running smooth and crimping awesome (STS shells) If money is not an issue the MEC9000 is my first choice under 500 and reloading 10000 shells or less a year. After that I would do some homework and find what suites you. I did see many used reloaders for sale. Some people just dont get into it. To me if money isnt a issue just buy shells. I like to break targets with my reloads. Plus I load them on the soft side and have no recoil issues. STS hulls clays 16.5 1oz 7.5 TGT12 wads and STS primers. nice load.

4. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

Some of the people I have talked to like the reloads better than the factory shells because they can load them on the soft side. Feels alot better on the shouder. I don't shoot nearly as much as they do but I think I can save money over the long run, and have some fun shooting shells that I put together.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

duffybear69, If you want to reload your own shells to save money don't start reloading. It is something that you have to want to do. Right now alot of people are selling their reloaders because it does not pay to reload 12 and 20 ga. shells right now. The price of components you need are so pricey you can buy gun clubs for same money. Now if you really like reloading as a hobby or you really need a extra soft load to shoot because of recoil problems that might be a different story. Do ask some people out at your range if they would let you try theirs to see if you even like it. It can be a nice hobby to help you pass the time when you can't shoot in the dead of winter, or it can be a real chore if you don't have the time or don't enjoy it. Best of Luck. and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php
    talk to whiz in trap shooters get the 800 pluss and never look back loaded 15000 shells this year not a problem at all good luck

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

MEC loaders are a heck of a lot of value for the money....especially if you find a good slightly used one. You can spend a LOT more money for a loader, get hydraulic power, etc,etc...but I'm not convinced that extra expense buys a better reload. 'Course...I've only been fooling with these things for 25 yrs, so my opinions may change with time...
    One other thing I'd mention...I've seen these price cycles come and go...from time to time we see opportunities to buy shells at such a good price that reloading doesn't make economic sense. These are CYCLES...when the increases work their way through the factory production chain...those "deals" will evaporate and reloading will be cheaper once again. That said...don't forget that regardless of the costs...reolading provides you the opportunity to customize your ammo. For me, it's part of the enjoyment of the sport.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

My opinion will be different from many. I recommend learning how to reload on a simple machine. The MEC 600 Jr is a good place to begin. They are cheap and you could probably borrow one from a club member for several months. They are slow but a great way to learn what goes in a shell and how it goes in. And, do not forget a good scale. After you have passed your elementary training, then look at a progressive loader. The 600 Jr is very slow.

Pat Ireland

9. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Listen to Pat that's great advise if your not familar with how to reload. If you already are then by all means spend the money and buy a Spolar!

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

I agree about the slowness being a good thing when learning how to reload.

I learned on a 650 and a supersizer. I was able to check every station before advancing/indexing the plate. The supersizer gave me a chance to inspect the hulls while sizing. As I got better, I was able to load faster.

ec90t

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Reloading WILL become more economical very soon. Shells (new) will go up 15% the first of Sept. and again (approx. 15%) on Jan. 1. Everyone might want to re-think getting rid of those reloaders.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Buy this one for 220.00 + shipping from 14525.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Press is 12ga.

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I've also got a grabber for sale on e-bay. # 260149712182

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Get the mec 650 with a universal charge bar and a decent scale. That machine will make plenty of good ammo and you will be able to make just about any load imaginable. Reloading the 12 gauge may not 'pay' so well these days but I can't help but think that will change in the near future. Besides, you will probably enjoy making your own ammo.

15. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Pat makes a good point as others have mentioned. I have a Sizemaster I bought on ebay to start, with the idea I would buy a progressive later. I'll keep the Sizemaster to use for experimental shells. When I find something I like, I can set up the progressive for volume.

16. frank t

frank t TS Member

It truly does depend on how deep your pockets are and what u want to spend. If money is a consideration I would look for a used MEC. I would not buy the single stage to learn on. I would spend that money on a good digital scale. Reloading on MEC in a pretty simple process and does not require a degree in rocket science. A Mec 650, Grabber, and 9000 are all good choices. If u r looking for something that is more expensive then buy it. Just my 2 cents.

Frank T

17. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

Thanks alot for the good advise. I am looking forward to a winter of loading shells and finding out what works best for me. I know I will not save much money but I feel the sport will be more fun knowing I am making my shells. I know I don't need the speed factor, since we only shoot a couple hundred rounds a week unlike those who shoot reqestered targets. And I have talked to some people who have both a single and progressive reloaders. They use the single stage if they need to make a special small batch.

Thanks again for the great advise.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

One thing everyone neglects to tell you! MECs require a lot more force on the handle to load ammo! This is something you will really notice of you load a lot of shells.

PW, Hornaday and Spolar dfon't require you to grunt every time you pull the handle. Plus they seem to last forever!

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would get a progressive, This is what i learned from the best shooter/loader i know. He has the MEC9000. When i showed a intrest in reloading he invited me over. I watched him crank out a few boxes. Then he disabled the auto index and ejector. Had me load 1 shell at a time indexing manually I loaded a few boxes. a week later he had me run thru again but this time putting a new shell in every time, watching to make sure the primer dropped place the wad and still cycling manually. he then set up the auto index and finally let me crank out a case on full auto, I was hooked on the 9000, until i scored the 650 for 35 bucks then scored a 505 scale

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Take Pat's advise. Besides, reloaders are sort of like computers.....if you don't know what you're missing (speed wise)...then the one you have is FINE.To me, there's no better pastime.I have a used MEC 650, and it's all I need right now.If I really want speed, it will crank out a box in under 5 min.My "Pet" load is the Tightgroup "Nitro" replica, but I really enjoy trying different recipies.Out of my 20 shooting buddies (all with only 3 years trap shooting experience) only the "reloaders" have the 25 straights.HAVE FUN at your new HOBBY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.