1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloader adjustment question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hadjii, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

I am new to reloading shotgun shells and I am having trouble making my reloads look as good as the factory loads. Am I expecting too much. Anyway, here's a couple of questions I have. How do I know when the wad is at the right depth? Should all the shot fit inside of the shot cup? When I do the final crimp, it seems the overall length is just a tad longer than factory.The reload doesn't have the nice crisp look to it. What I mean by that is, is that there is a nice little ring around the edgs of the factory rounds, but not on the reloads. If I knew how to load up pics to this website, you could see what I'm talking about. Does anybody have any advice off of the shoddy information I provided. I'm using a MEC 77 sizemaster reloader. I'm reloading 28 ga. Win AAHS hulls, BPI SG28II wads, 15 grains of Longshot powder, and 3/4 oz of no. 9 shot. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Gary Schoborg

2. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Gary
    when i started reloading i asked an experienced fellow shooter for assistance.
    if you know someone or ask around where you shoot i believe they will be more than happy to help..

ernie

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Gary, on the question of wad depth-just enough pressure to get the wad on top of the powder which any will result the desired.

Shot will but alittle above the top of the wad if correct wad is used for the amount of shot dropped in most cases.

You will need to adjust cam action to get the neat little ring around the top that you desire. If you got the manual with the loader it should explain what to do. If not, got the Mec site and it will explain. Or as suggested, find some experienced local to help. I have learned however that not all Mec owners understand how to adjust the cam action as I have done it for alot of long time owners.

4. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Try the Win 28 ga AAHS Wads. Billy

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When reloading the small guages it is a good idea to use matching components. Winchester hulls use winchester wads and Winchester powder. Win 540 powder is hard to find, Hodgden HS-6 is the same powder.

Once you have the right components you then have to fine tune the adjustments on the reloading press. Wad pressure, starter crimp, and crimp are the ones that determine what the crimp will look like. HMB

6. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I bought the press used(not much) from e-bay. The reason I used the BPI wads is that I want to also load 7/8 oz loads for pheasant, and that was one of the wads recommended. The other being the BPI Magnum wad. Anyway, I studied the manual for the sizemaster, and adjusted as directed. Everything looks good, except it just isn't quite like the factory loads. I'm going to try and post a picture of a factory load beside the reload and get an opinion then. I shot 4 starlings this morning with them. All went bang, and 3 birds fell. The 4th one may have been a bit far. I shot at a bird about 35 or 40 yards away up in a huge old pine tree. Guess I have to remember what I'm shooting. Thanks again.

7. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

pic 1 of the shotshells I loaded. What am I doing wrong?http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/hadjii_photo/th_shotshell010.http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/hadjii_photo/th_shotshell009.jpg
    [​IMG]

The one I loaded is on the left and the factory one is on the right. Anybody have any advice for a newbie? Thanks

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you need to lower your crimper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the crimp station. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw clockwise to lower the center punch. Give it one full turn, then crimp a shell. Keep turning clockwise until you get a good crimp. Then tighten the lock nut. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.