1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloaded my first box of shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by victor6, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victor6

victor6 TS Member

This past weekend I reloaded my first box of shells ... 7/8 ounce of #8 shot powered by 17 grains of Clays under a WAA2L wad in a AA hull.

All I can say is wow! I can't believe what I've been missing. The ability to load such a soft shell for singles in an affordable manner.

I picked up a used Sizemaster on eBay ... it worked beautifully ... I just need to improve on my amateurish crimps.

Regards,

Victor

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Victor, You can use 700X and bring that load way down in speed as well!!! If my memory is correct, you can go down to 14.5 grains of 700X for a super soft load. Now fix your crimps and try different speeds until you find what works best for you. Have some fun now OK Break-em all. Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Next step is to get a Mec 650, then every time you pull the handle you get a finnished shell. HMB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

dont rush the crimps, just take your time, in the meantime as long as the shot stays in the shell dont worry much.
    It took me some time to get the crimp nice on my low recoil rounds for my wife.
    I had very good luck with Remington STS hulls and winchester grey 7/8 wads and remington tgt12 wads. I never got a chance to get the downrange 7/8 wad.

5. psfive

psfive Member

You can put that same pile of compomets in an STS, Nitro 27, green Gun Club or a black Remington Game Load hull. All of the above will give you a better crimp than a AA. Use those new loads and go break some rocks. That load is all my son shooots back to the 23 yard line. Paul

6. victor6

victor6 TS Member

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely scrounge up some Remington hulls to try next. I would like to work through the ~1k AA hulls I have laying around though.

A progressive reloader is definitely next on the list to buy. I'm not a high volume shooter (and I'm real cheap to boot :) ) ... so I'll be on the lookout for a used MEC Grabber or Hornady 366. There's something about the 366s that just appeal to me.

Regards,

Victor

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I recently switched to a light 1 ounce load with 700X powder. I couldn't be happier with it. Reloading becomes an enjoyable habit. You get shells custom made to your specifications for the same price as the cheapest shells you can find.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have found the same thing flincher. I have access to a progressive reloader at work but still use a single stage Mec at home. I have timed the difference in 100 rounds and it isn't much. The single stage always makes a perfect reload and never makes a mess.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

What planet are you guys living on? I started with a Mec 600 JR - six handle strokes for one completed shell. It's been a LONG time since I used it, but my recollection is at least a half-hour for 100 shells. Now I have a Dillon and I can do 100 in about six or seven minutes without rushing, no mess, no mistakes. A single stage is fine if you shoot no more than a couple of boxes per week, but when you shoot thousands per year a progressive is the way to go.

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The only progressive reloader I have used is the Mec. You really have to pay attention to what you are doing. Bad primer feeds, powder not dropping correctly, a piece of shot lodging in somewhere keeping it from progressing completely. Great when everything is working smoothly but you really have to pay close attention to everything. The 30 minutes for 100 shells doesn't sound bad to me. I turn on a television show in the background and enjoy the half hour.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with Larry, the Progressive loader is the bomb. I use a PW but there are several good ones out there. I went to PW from a Grabber but I have also had Dillon. Single stage??? get with the 21st century guys

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When you need a lot of shells (or you load in the Winter and shoot in the Summer) you need a production setup like this. My P/W 900 with AutoDrive will crank out 500 per hour.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_03037.jpg

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I enjoy reloading. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it. It sounds like you would prefer to push a button and have all your shells pop out the other side with no effort. I enjoy the process. I like taking 30 minutes. I reloaded 100 shells last night while listening to the news on television in the background. It was fun, even with my single state reloader. It will be even more fun shooting them this evening.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Flincher and high flyer, it is time to put your crack pipes down. The progressive loaders are the only way to go unless of coarse you have a crack problem or some other underlying issue that clogs your focus while reloading.
    I have a P/W 800+ with auto case feeder and electric drive and I can load a box of shells in 90 seconds. So with all the thousands of shells I have loaded I don't think I have spent that much time cleaning spills. As a matter of fact I cant remember the last time I had a spill.

15. Franktri

Franktri Member

If you're looking for STS hulls, there is a gent in NH named Phil Wright, email pwrignt948@myfairpoint.net who has them for sale at a reasonable price. Give him a try.. I find STS hulls better than AA. Gun Club is good too..

16. capvan

capvan Active Member

Need to pay attention when reloading? Perish the thought. Watching TV, listening to the radio, is the last thing you want to be doing. Well, maybe the radio, but you really, really need to pay attention when reloading.

my 2 cents...YMMV

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Only bad reloads I ever have come off a progressive reloader.

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It's the "crack" pard!

19. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I love my Spolar, and it has yet to let me down. Once you dial in your reload formula, it honestly does not miss. I loaded 2000 shells while up in Reno at the GWG, never had primer miss, never had a blooper, never had a spill. I probably am a bit on the slow side, doing 4-5 hundred an hour. They fall in a bucket, so boxing time, inspection and such add to that time.

I have loaded with Mec Grabber, 9000, P/W 800+. All good loaders, but you have to watch several things on them. With the Spolar, I still watch, but nothing has ever required my attention honestly. I use their hydraulic as well, so I am very careful to make sure things are rolling correctly, as you would crush things badly if something were out of whack. Just does not happen with the Spolar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.