1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloadability of Win AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by semperdog, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semperdog

semperdog TS Member

Hello-

Picked up some 12 ga. Winchester AA Xtra-Lite, Light, Super Sport and Super Handicap hulls. Are these quality reloadable hulls, or should I toss them? Thanks.

2. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

i have a hard time reloading with them but that is just me

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have heard, many times, that the only difference between the red AAs and the Gray Handicaps, is the color. But, I get at least 3 reloads from the reds before I see splits, and 5 from the Handicaps. I check them carefully, and find the Handicaps load longer.

Some reds give me 5-7 loads, some Handicaps 6-8. But, the reds split quicker, and the Handicaps load longer.

Really seems there must be a difference besides the colors.

Bob

4. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Winchester AA hulls, of whatever variety, are quality, reloadable hulls; do not toss them. If for some reason you decide you don't like them, you can sell them; there is a market for them. Just check the "for sale" category. At a minimum, give them away to someone who wants to use them.

Some people have problems getting a proper stack heights with the newer AAHS reloads, but that is easily fixed by selecting the proper wad, sometimes, a wad designed for a larger load will allow all the components to fit. For instance, use a 1 1/8 oz. wad if loading 1 oz. of shot.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I reload AA hulls, 6 times and then toss them.

6. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

If you're going to toss them Please toss them my way

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Heck, I reload Win Super Targets 3 or 4 times. I get 8 loads out of the AAs.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I have seen an improvement in their reloadability. For some years the reds were terrible, even splitting factory loaded hulls...They are better now, 5-6 reloads, both red and grey..

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The plastic on the new style AA is much more brittle than the old style one piece AA hull. It may vary for some, but, they get pretty bad splits after about 3 reloads in most cases. I take them for free but won't pay for them. I load them twice and for doubles "chuckers" the 3rd time. They are far inferior to the Rem. STS hulls and the new Federals hold up better, at least in my experience. Still for 3 or 4 loads they will work OK.

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I will be reloading a batch of Winny RED AA HS for the 7th time. Which is about as high as I have gone on the AA for reloads. I will throw out any that show splits or petal tears and keep going with the batch just to see how far they can go. Through 6 reloads, there is no metal failure and out of about 500 (using Lowry target box for storage and batch segregation)... there have been no rejects yet due to splitting. These were new AA HS which were purchased as new shells last year, about 2 splits worth or (500).

I do not think there is any hull difference between light or heavy or Xtra-Lite loads, other than the printing on the outside of the case. Between red an silver? I do not know if there is any real difference between them other than the color.

Art

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They are no good. Please, send all your once fired AA hulls to me and I will dispose of them for you. Red or Grey, even mixed is OK.

12. Greevesman

Greevesman Member

Not sure what you guys are doing but I get at least 15 reloads out of AAs.
    Some cracking around the crimp but they hold shot. Old 1 pice AAs finally blow part of the crimp off. New 2 piece split on the body. At that point they are done.
    There was an excellant post a month or so ago where a fellow fired and photographed each shot until destruction.
    He was up around 20 at that point.

13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Greevesman:
    Yes that was a very excellent post regarding the shot by shot degradation of the hulls.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa red vs grey shell

difference between red grey winchester aa hulls

gray aa hulls any good

red aa hull vs grey aa hulls

red vs gray shotgun hulls

winchester gray hulls cracking

winchester light gray hull shells

winchester red gray hull difference