1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**Reload the new AA hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jul 7, 2013.

1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I've heard rumblings about the dangers of using the current run of AA hulls for reloading because of the pressed in base wad, and the possibility of them coming loose, getting in the barrel and reaking havoc...
    What are your thoughts?
    I'm running out of Gun Club hulls and could use an alternative for "other" loads, and these seem to be as cheap and available as any others out there on the ground today.
    But I don't want to start using a hull that sooner or later is going to end badly.
    Also, along the same subject line, are hotter handicap loads a greater risk in those hulls than a mild 1180 fps 1 oz. load?
    dju

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The "current" run of AA hulls has been around for many years now. The controversy will probably last until old school diehards who remember the original AA's die off. Follow recommended load recipes and you should have no issues.

Robert

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've only reloaded a few 100 thousand AA's, of every design. Other than pin holes in the petals after 5-7 reloads or an occasional split up the side from to many reloads, they work great. Trash them after they get a pin hole in a petal. But, personally I load them one more time after discovering a pin hole and leave them on the ground. I left 100 old worn out AA's on the ground yesterday and still shot a 96 in handicap with them.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

They go through my mec grabber better than any other shell that I have tried. for that reason it is my only choice for loading. I get 5 or 6 reloads out of them. Bill

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you have any doubts take a hull and cut it in half length wise. See if you can get the base to separate from the hull. I can't. HMB

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

hmb,

Did you use force equal to or around 8500 to 10,000 PSI?

Just Say'n......

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes, my friend Clark Kent came over to help me and we couldn't budge it. HMB

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If the basewad is going to come out it has to bounce out. The 10k lbs of pressure grntitan mentions is pushing the basewad against the brass.

9. tjh12glen

tjh12glen TS Member

If by "new AA hulls" you mean the new AA Tracker hulls, the answer, over on Shotgunworld, is a definite yes. Sources are the resident experts and quotes from the Winchester sales manager. The Tracker is the same hull as the Win AA HS. Red and Grey are identical except for the dye used in manufacturing.

All the best, Tom, waiting in Douglasville, GA to try the new Trackers when the local stores get them.

Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The two piece hull has been around for years and years. I have loaded tens of thousands of them, from the remington "All American" to the newer style AA. Never had a base wad seperate. Is is possible? Well anything can happen I guess. The newer AA loads well,but, is stiff and brittle compared to the older ones. The Remington STS is a FAR Superior hull.

11. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Never had a problem with any AA reloads. Loaded some 8 times or more until the crimp area splits. Since 1987!

12. baflstang

baflstang Member

I seem to have trouble with the wads being too high. What 1 1/8 oz. wads seem to work the best for you guys. Thank you in advance. Bill

13. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

never reloaded much AA becuase ive had 20,000 remingtion hulls given to me. got convinced to try the Green Duster wad Manufactured by Downrange. and im loving these. they are super slick! they load so smooth. they are alot better now that downrange has been manufacturing dusters.

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Well I just went to the band saw, took a once fired AA with the primer out sawed it in half length wise and the base wad fell out of one side and just a bump to get the other 1\2 out. Did the same thing with a Fed. Gold Medal (plastic), pretty much the same result. ?????????? And I like Fed. GMs. get as many or more re-loads from them as I do from STSs & GCs. Ross Puls

15. Borderland

Borderland Member

baflstang...Bill the Claybuster F114 yellow wad loads 1-1/8 of shot perfectly in the Win AAHS. When compared side by side with the AA12 wad the height difference is miniscule. This supposed 1-1/4 wad loads the HS hull perfectly with bulky
    powders such as GreenDot & 1-1/8 oz of shot. Ken

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

HMB: Lois Lane I have had no trouble, Superman was jealous

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

cb-1118 [claybuster] wads work perfectly. Bill

Search tags for this page

aa traacker hull reload

new aa hulls