1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload shell PSI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I am shooting a Remington 1100 for trap and have recently been studying-up on the "formula's" for reloading Remington plastic hulls (STS and Gun Club). The factory shells are listed as 1145 FPS but when you look at the various charts from the powder companies there are plenty of formulas for 1145 FPS but with different pressures. I don't know what the factory pressures are. Should I be looking in a certain range since I'm shooting a semi automatic?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Load up a few shells and see if your gun likes them. HMB

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Some powders have a faster burn rate and produce higher pressures, like Red Dot. Some have slower burn rates and produce lower pressures, like Green Dot, or even slower, Blue dot. Stay within the published data for the powder your using and you'll be fine.

PS. Make sure you have a good scale.

Wayne

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You might want to stay away from dirty powders like promo shooting a auto. Next I try to stay within 8,000 psi to l0,000 psi when I reload. Now if your in a climate that gets cold say less than 35 degress or so, you may not want to lower your pressure below 9,000 psi to keep your powder burning well in cold temps. Most 12 ga. powders burn best between 9-l0 thousand psi. This will allow all the powder to be burned. Lower pressures can sometimes leave unburned powder in the barrel and well as cold weather as well. Its always best to keep pressures below l0,000 psi but if you need to go over 500 pounds or so to make sure your auto work that would be fine, but you can find another load that will work for you under l0,000 psi most all the time if you try. Remember that shell pressures have nothing to do with recoil so don't worry about that. Welcome to the world of reloading. It can be fun trying different loads until you find the one that you like the best. May you enjoy the Journey. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I shoot an 1100 and my target for pressure is about 8500 - 9500 PSI. I try not to exceed 10K for target loads. I don't have any trouble with Promo or Red Dot or Green Dot or Clay Dot or Unique or Clays, etc. You get the picture. I look for the velocity and the pressure and load a few. I test them over a chronograph and check some from an over night stay in the freezer. If they all work as expected, I have a reliable load to work with. It really isn't the pressure that makes the 1100 work, it's the gas volume generated by the combustion of the powder. I've had loads that should function well, according to the pressures, that simply would not cycle the action reliably. I've had loads that were low pressure that worked better. The idea is to select a load, try it out, and then use it. Staying under 10,000 PSI would give you a little headroom for error. My 9000 PSI target works fine for me for my 1100s and other guns. If you can't get the velocity at the right pressures and get reliable gun function, try a different powder.

6. revbook

revbook Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.