Trapshooters Forum banner

Reload Recipe for Beretta A400 Xcel 12 ga

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  wolfram 
#1 ·
I'm suffering ejection problems shooting the following recipe in my 12 ga A400 Xcel: WAALite 14 gr, Cheddite primers, Claybusters WAA12SL (equivalent) wads, Gun Club hulls, 1 oz lead 7.5 shot. I've probably run about 1,500 rds of Gun Clubs, Rios, Herters, and Win factory loads flawlessly and clean my gun. During the same trap session a box of Gun Clubs ran flawlessly and a box of the above reloads failed to eject about 30% of the time.

A post from Tangocharlie gave me faith that there is a recipe that will work in an A400 Xcel.

It was suggested to me that a fast powder like WAALite may not may not reliably cycle the A400 Xcel gas system. Given the powder famine (or is it a drought?), it's not easy to get alternatives. I can get Titewad, but that's probably as fast.

Any chance there's an interaction between the fast AALite powder and hotter primers like the Cheddite?

For what it's worth, I'm loading on a Hornady 366. I'm new to shotshell reloading; maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong. The A400 is shooting my reloads fine if the patterning board and birds are any indication. The problem is ejection.

Thanks.

Bruce

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm suffering ejection problems shooting the following recipe in my 12 ga A400 Xcel: WAALite 14 gr, Cheddite primers, Claybusters WAA12SL (equivalent) wads, Gun Club hulls, 1 oz lead 7.5 shot. I've probably run about 1,500 rds of Gun Clubs, Rios, Herters, and Win factory loads flawlessly and clean my gun. During the same trap session a box of Gun Clubs ran flawlessly and a box of the above reloads failed to eject about 30% of the time.

A post from Tangocharlie gave me faith that there is a recipe that will work in an A400 Xcel.

It was suggested to me that a fast powder like WAALite may not may not reliably cycle the A400 Xcel gas system. Given the powder famine (or is it a drought?), it's not easy to get alternatives. I can get Titewad, but that's probably as fast.

Any chance there's an interaction between the fast AALite powder and hotter primers like the Cheddite?

For what it's worth, I'm loading on a Hornady 366. I'm new to shotshell reloading; maybe there's something else I'm doing wrong. The A400 is shooting my reloads fine if the patterning board and birds are any indication. The problem is ejection.

Thanks.

Bruce

#3 ·
Suspect that you need to increase the powder to around 14.7 from the looks of the charts? That still appears to be fairly low pressure (9300), and could possibly give it enough extra push to get them out reliably?

I have never used this powder, but it would seem that little extra bit would get it done if it is only happening 30% of the time. And yes, any powder is a good powder right now. Hoping the summer theory on Clays is true and it is available again.

#4 ·
Suspect that you need to increase the powder to around 14.7 from the looks of the charts? That still appears to be fairly low pressure (9300), and could possibly give it enough extra push to get them out reliably?

I have never used this powder, but it would seem that little extra bit would get it done if it is only happening 30% of the time. And yes, any powder is a good powder right now. Hoping the summer theory on Clays is true and it is available again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.