1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload Question Walmart Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shamlin, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shamlin

shamlin Member

I have a bunch of those cheaper priced Walmart Winchester shells that have the silver bases. Was wondering if I can reload those just like a typical AA hull that has the brass base? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't then I want to throw these things away.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Winnie promo hull can be loaded, but the Remmy comes in the four pack, is a dollar or so higher, and is a much better hull to load.

The Fed hull will work well, but the Remmy is the one to get.

3. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I no longer load those cheaper priced Walmart Winchester shells, too many crimps opening up and not worth the headache.

I like the federals for at least 2 loadings then I pitch them.

I also would have to agree that the remingtons are the ones to get,they will load many times before you have to pitch them.

tom

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Winchester hulls are a straight wall, which means you would load them with a wad for a Federal hull. Also, I reload the Remington hulls from Wal-Mart, they load identical to all of Remington's trap shells and don't cost as much. I've gotten as many as 10 loads out of them. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Yes, you can reload them just like a AA hull. Since the plastic hull is so thin and cheap, you will find that you can reload them once and sometimes twice at the most and then the crimp end splits badly. But then again, there are usually a bunch of new Universal hulls in the trash.

I find the Federal hulls reload a little better and with the proper straight wall wad, do fine for a time or two. Then the Federal hulls start splitting at the crimp just like the Universals. Bunches of those new hulls are in the trash right beside the Universals. When they start to develop holes around the crim line.....toss them....there are a ton more where they come from.

I agree with the Shooting Coach 100%. The Remington Sport Load that Wal-Mart sells are the same hulls as the Gun Club's and reload great a bunch of times. You don't have to worry about the base wad coming out and I can reload all the Remington hulls exactly the same. It doesn't make any difference what Remington hull you use. Gun Club, Sport Load, the black Game Load, STS, the older Premier type, the Blue Magic type or even the 40-year-old RXP hulls. All can be loaded with the same recipe, same tapered wad, and same crimp depth and give you almost identical results every time.

The Remington hulls are the ones that I pick out of the trash and leave the rest. I will pick out the new style AA’s but I give ALL those away to my friends that like to load them. I, myself, will not reload the NEW two piece style AA’s for all the reasons that have been cussed and discussed on this forum.

Mark

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Jolly trapshooter, The less expensive Winchester's have an insert very similar to the AA hull. I load them with downrange Xl-1 wads and they work just fine.......Roger

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Federal or Estate hulls with the paper basewad are reloadable. The first time I use a Federal 209A primer and the second reloading, I use a Rio G600, since they are slightly oversized and then toss the hulls. The paper basewad does not spring back to seal the primer as well as a plastic hull. After a couple of loadings, the primer may show evidence of leakage, which looks like a little black smudge around the outside of the primer.

The loads I use with them are as follows:

18.2 grains of Promo or Red Dot, Federal or Rio primer, Federal 12S0 or clone wad, 1 oz of hard shot. That gives about 1200 fps.

18.7 grains of Red Dot or Promo powder, Federal 209A or Rio primer, Fedral 13S3 or clone wad, 1 1/8 oz of hard shot. This gives about 1200 fps.

These two loads are consistent and have proven reliable in colder weather.

The Cheap Winchester Hulls I don't bother with and the Remingtons are loaded the same as Gun Clubs.

8. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Jollytrapshooter,As rogerNRA said,
    the winchester universals have a basewad just like the new style AA's.
    In fact the new AAHS hulls are straight walled as well, just that they have
    the funky cupped basewad.
    The winchester universals and new AAHS are almost identical ballistically,
    just that the universals don't reload worth a squat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal game load shot shells reload
reload walmart federal shotshells
reload walmart shotshells
reloading wal mart federal shotshells

reloading walmart shells

reloading xheap federalnhuls