1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload or not???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Currently, cost and availability of components is a problem, especially powder and primers. At the top of the forum, click on the "Links" link, then on Fun Stuff, then on Reloading Calculator. You can input the cost of components and see what the cost of a box of reloads is. I can reload a 3/4 oz 12 gauge shell, using reclaim shot and components I already had purchased, for about $2.50 a box, so it is possible to save money. If I were loading at today's prices and doing a full 1 1/8 oz load with new shot, I think I would be hard pressed to save much. It is a fun hobby. I am reloading a batch of 20 gauge shells this morning. Mark

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would get a MEC progressive reloader. I have a single stage that I bought in the 60's and it is too slow to be any fun at all.

3. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Definately a progressive reloader. A single stage takes 100 yanks to load one box of shells. A progressive takes 26. Jump on Youtube and watch these 2 videos I posted. Ignore the loading data I used. Posted by Flatchameister.

Search these 2 videos:

Mikes366demo (all one word - discusses using a Hornady/Pacific prog loader)

Mikespwdemo (all one word - same thing but using a Ponsness Warren)

With my component costs, I can reload for $3.95 a box (12 gauge, drops to $3 on 20's). These are trap loads. 1 oz, 16 grams of promo, STS hulls. I know its a slower shell (1120 fps) but it fits my guns choke, and its extremely recoil friendly.

PM me if you like on more details. Will post a video using a Mec when i get time.

mike

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

YES ... if MEC a 9000G progressive machine (auto indexing). I have upgraded to a 9000H and am very happy with it. My reloading costs are around $4.75 per box here in S.E. PA.

5. Hookedonshooting

Actually my 12g cost per box is $3.78. .151 per shell.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The biggest savings opportunity for reloading is when you make premium loads for what cheap factory shells cost. Cheap shells have low antimony lead (chilled shot vs. magnum). For the same money you can use premium components and hard shot.

This is especially beneficial for long yardage handicap shooters (unlike myself).

-Gary

7. Hookedonshooting

Impala Bob. Your 9000 is a good machine. Thought of engineering a hydraulic setup to use on my PW.

GW I concur. Have a Mec Grabber for the 40 yd shootoff shell reloading. 1.25 oz of 7.5s and 29 grns of 7625. Recoil friendly considering...... But dont get to use them recently cuz I keep missing the # to get into the shootoffs. Shit. Lol

8. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

If you get any of the MEC loaders, be sure to keep the following link handy. If ANYTHING goes wrong, Curly No Hair can help you get your mec operating smoothly again. A ton of his knowledge is here

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=257155

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Gnusbaum, If you are looking at saving money only,don't reload. If you have time and enjoy it then reload. I started reloading in 1957 when our cost was $1.00 a box. Theres a lot of enjoyment in breaking a great score with your roll your own. You could start out with the Jr. then progress to a progressive loader. Its a separate hobby for me. Volume buying and reclaimed shot will save you some money.

Clyde

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

I have to admit,if I didn't find a real Deal on my mec 9000G,I would of had to think about it long and hard.I fell into a deal from a fellow who had gotten it at an auction and never used it.He wanted $20 for it,needless to say,I gave him more than that when I found out what model it was.(under $100).If you could come across a deal like that,or find one at an auction,I'd go for it.As stated above,the prices of conponents are killing the sport of reloading in my opinion.I'm down to using homemade shot in 7/8 oz loads to shoot at my local club.Still use factory in ATA and bigger events.

Doug H. (pa)

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Used to reload ... got over it.

12. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

I love reloading with my MEC Grabber. IMHO I am producing premium shell results for less than generic shell prices. I was very lucky to find components today. These prices are TAX PAID.

Primers Winchester 209 $141/5000 limit of 5000

Powder IMR 700-X $114/8 lbs limit 2 jugs

Wads Downrange Figure 8 clone 4 petal $94/5000

Lawrence Hard 8's $43/25 lbs

Using 17.5 grains of 700-X and 1-1/8 oz shot my cost is $5.09 per box tax paid not counting cost of hulls or reloader depreciation according to the reloading calculator on TS.com.

Make sure you have a supply of primers and powder before you start. The reloader, wads, and shot are readily available. Good luck and have fun.

13. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

With what I have purchased lately in components I am shooting 1 1/8 loads at under $4.50 a box.

Yep reloading is still cheaper.

And standing at my reloading bench is better then sitting in some flea bitten bar going whoa is me!! OR sitting in front of the TV!

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Decide if your reason to self-load is ONLY about saving money... I find in my experience that folks who reload, shoot more for the same money... so why you can argue the shell cost can drop, the cash in pocket may remain empty...

Who do you know that reloads, that you can work with before you jump in?! Assess the start up costs for a tool, components and possibly a bench/table.

I have found that self-loading ammunition gives me a personal sense of satisfaction in my shooting sports, in addition to the shooting activity itself. I choose to load extra light and slow which puts my skills and the shells to greater task... a way to increase my handicap...

It's all about YOU... load because you choose to, for your reasons, but know that saving money may or may not actually happen...

Respectfully,

Jay

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Be aware that to some of us reloading is very addictive. I will NEVER buy factory loads again. Got a loader after a misfired factory load cost me a 100st at a local tourney. MEC grabber is a good one and affordable and fast. Buy it new and they will set it up for the loads you prefer. Bill in MI

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I started reloading at the age of 14 with a Lee loader and plastic mallet.

I am going to be 57 on Tuesday, still reloading and with 7 different press's.

It can be about saving money, that only happens when it come to buying box of store ammo. Higher always, then when I figure my component prices per box.

If you factor in ALL the goodies on the bench in the cabinets in the drawers NOPE not saving any money.

BUT I am producing rounds that in MY firearms HIT where I aim, constantly, as long as I do my part.

I use factory ammo on occasion, when I need to get a newly mounted scope onto paper. That's my way of bore sighting. Then I have nice once fired brass to start reloading with!!

I find reloading to be relaxing and fulfilling. There is no time in this life to be bored, get out and at least do something!!

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering at what point I stop buying those extra tools and knick knacks that seem to gather at a never ending pace in my loading room. I think I could damn near pitch it all except for my Loader, scale and my Gary Bulley UNLOADER.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.