1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload or Not

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 90Tshooter, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

My work schedule is finally slowing down a bit so I went to my local range last Friday. Shot a practice 50. Post one beat me up, lost 4 targets there, but only one on all the others combined. I most likely will get back to some league shooting so I was going to buy some reloading supplies. Wow! I ended up buying a flat of Federal target loads for $53 + tax. I calculated the reloading costs with the current component prices and found that the savings to reload is less than a $1.00 a box. Lets see, 12 boxes an hour with my MEC Grabber at less than $1.00 a box, is it worth it? Not for me, no matter how much shooting I'm going to do. Where do others stand on this?

Joe

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Shot is the price driver. I have a feeling that the price of new shells will soon go up, to reflect the price of shot. I do it because I enjoy it and figure I save about $50 a month over new shells. That gets me a few more rounds to shoot. Mark

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

When comparing my reloads with factory shells, I like to think of my reloads as Premium shells. You bought the budget shells for $53. Now try comparing to STS, Nitro, Federal Papers or AA's. Those shells use Premium components like I use in my reloads. Instead of the cost being $53/flat its more like $83/flat. Now the discount for reloading shows up much better. I can save $2-$3 per box over factory Premium shells using Premium components in my reloads.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

I look at it as a fun part of the shooting hobby. If you don't enjoy it, then the savings will probably never be worth it. Another point is, you cannot buy shells for $53/flat that are comparable to my reloads.

The really big savings are in the subgauge loads, not the 12's.

5. ismah

ismah Member

Shot IS the big problem these days. Here in the Pacific NW we're paying almost $50 a sack. Does anyone know WHY shot has gotten so expensive??

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

ismah,

You need to find a new dealer. Shot is $34/bag here in the midwest and ours is not near the cheapest.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Shot is $36 a bag at Connies in Centralia, WA, but that is the warehouse price and doesn't include shipping.see link. Mark

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Greed. Stock levels are high, and spot prices are low. When prices go up, dealers get into lockstep, with a price increase. When prices go down, dealers do not drop their prices.

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Shot is high? Ask about Remington Primers. Shyda's refuses to cary them anymore because of the crazy price. Maybe Soros DID buy 'em out; good lord!

mike

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Depends on you--for me--I enjoy the time spent fooling around with my toys, if I let the $$$ enter into the equation I wouldn't shoot--hunt--own a boat--fish--go to gun-car- shows etc. did I mention owning a boat, But anybody that knows me will agree that a fool and his money are SOON parted.- grin- The ONLY difference between men & boys is the price of their toys. Maybe I should have said multiple boats, I never was known as the sharpest tack in the pack.-- Ross Puls

11. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Here are charts for the spot price of lead. Shot prices don't follow exactly, but you can see that lead prices on the world market have been softening

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html

12. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

For me it is a no brainer! Re-load! However, I am going through more shells then most. Currently, me and my son shoot the local leagues (100rds/week). My son is now shooting ATA so he needs to get his targets in (100rds./ every two weeks). But it gets better, we have also adopted two youth shooters and have them shooting league and ATA so there is another (100rds/week) and (100rds/2weeks).

So that means on an average month We unload 1200 rounds. So whatever the savings come out to it is worth it. I just did the math and I am spending $4.23 per box. That is enough to keep me doing it.

I also agree the quality of most reloads are far better the the cheap factory loads.

We shoot with one guy who always wants to trade his new estates for the same number of my reloads.

13. ismah

ismah Member

Gretitan, If I buy in bulk I can get it for $39.00 a sack but "Bulk" here means over 200 pounds and that's a strain these days. Your other above comment above spoke of "Premium" re-loads. I agree to some degree but after re-loading the same hull a few times doesn't the quality and efficiency deteriorate??

14. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I love my reloads, more than any factory ammo. That's far and away my #1 reason.

On the economy front, I am loading a great reclaimed shot for $27 a bag. At that price, my one ounce loads, including buying the hull for .05 and reloading it 6 times, is saving me about $1.50 a box over the bargain ammo. More than that on my 7/8's first shot doubles load and less than that on my 1 1/8 'caps load.

Those two things combined are what make the decision a simple one for me. Confidence + Savings.

Regards,
    Chip

15. Don S

Don S Member

My hobby is reloading. I only shoot to empty the hulls.

16. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Don S. That is by far the best reason I've read for reloading. Thank you for your clarity.

"My hobby is reloading. I only shoot to empty the hulls."

Larry

17. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

You have a very valid point,if you can buy promo type shells cheap enough. My thinking is much like grntitan's above about comparable quality, plus I don't care for steel based shells in my gun.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I reloaded years ago, but now I buy $5 a box shells.

If you blow up a $10,000 shotgun because you loaded a double charge, your savings are reduced considerably.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am one of those turncoats that has gone over to the dark side of buying loaded ammo as opposed to loading it. The thing is I had a long history of 'rolling my own' starting when I was a teenager so I was/am very much into the hobby of reloading ammunition.

But what got me to switch was that I could get good quality factory loaded ammo for about 50 cents a box more than what buying components cost. And yes I scrounged for the best deals and bought components in quantity. But the really big draw for buying loaded ammo is the simple fact that you are not constantly messing around with hulls. It is tremendously liberating to just let the hulls fly and be done with it.

I use to also believe that my handloads were of superior quality compared to the lower cost target loads but after firing 30K or so Estate and Federal Top guns, I'm not so sure my ammo was better. I have knocked out a bunch of really decent scores including several 100x100s with these cheap shells and it wasn't luck and I didn't chip my way to the finish line.

So there ya have it, there are valid reasons for loaing your own and equally good reasons not to bother with it.

20. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Buy 12ga and 20ga, reload your 28ga and 410s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.