1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reload or not to reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

You can't right now. Hopefully this fall prices will start to drop. Dave T.

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Cheap therapy. Not looking at costs or my time. All that I know is when I pulled the trigger and soot balled that target I made that shell, my way. Dave T.

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I'll bite on this hook. There is no way to make reloading come out substancially ahead of promo shells - never was either. But my reloads are superior to promo shells. My reloads are superior to factory premium shells. This is where I am ahead. But let's just talk money: I spend 1-2 hours loading 500 shells (2 flats) and can buy 2 flats of promo shells for about 40 bucks a flat. How long does it take me to earn 80 bucks if I go to work? That is less than 2 hours. So my quality is better but my labor costs eat me alive.

4. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

As a newbie, I'm curious. How does the cost of the reloading equipment figure into the equation? How long would it take to recover the cost of the equipment? This is presuming that my time isn't factored in. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

This is why I reload...

<center>[​IMG]</center>

The loading press was paid for a LONG time ago.

Mike

7. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Reloading is good for my head. My reloads are softer on the shoulder than factory "lite" loads and they break targets. However, I haven't reloaded in nearly a year because our state bulk dealer got out of the business because he couldn't get enough primers for his customers and lead was hard to find. I can't mail-order lead -- not feasible. So, I buy em for $40 a flat. Too bad. Even if prices go down on lead and primers, I'll still have the lead problem. May never be able to reload again. Sad.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can't buy soft shooters with the impact and pattern you can get with reloads designed for your gun. It's trial and error until you find what works for you. But, when you do they will shoot better than any factory shell.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can't buy soft shooters with the impact and pattern you can get with reloads designed for your gun. It's trial and error until you find what works for you. But, when you do they will shoot better than any factory shell.

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

The only Premium component that really matters may be shot.

I cannot see how Promo will shoot much differently than Red Dot; at least for 16 yd shooting

A primer must go "boom" - but this is not a varmint/bench rest sport

Maybe wads have some impact, but I have seen no difference between the Factory or Claybuster wads. (especially if temperatures are not south of 25 degrees.

If you like to reload it makes sense to do so. A saving of $1 a box adds up with 1000 plus boxes shot per year.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I forgot to mention that I will use premium components or factory for registered birds. Most of us burn a bunch more practice ammo than for "match" ammo so there are savings for me at least. Plus I like to reload and tailor my loads.

Don

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with dverna a little, but first let me say that I reload because I enjoy it. I can make STS quality shells for less money than I can buy Gun Clubs or Estates.

Mac you didn't say where you lived, but you can certainly get better pricing than you quoted, even mail order, and even paying hazmat fees.

First pick a hull you want to reload. I use STS hulls because they last a long time and are easy to get at 3 cents a piece. Then pick a good primer. I'd recommend against Cheddites because they are larger than standard size, so you are stuck using them forever in those hulls. Try Fiocchi 616 primers if you want to save money. Around $75-$80/5000 and every bit as good as Winchester or Remington.

I don't care much for Claybuster wads. They leave too much plastic in your barrel, and I never got them to pattern as well as the wad they supposedly replace. I'm guessing you're wanting 1 1/8oz @ 1145fps loads based on the Red Dot weight you want to use. I can still get Remington Fig-8 wads for $70/5000. I know the price is rising, but they are still a good performing wad. You can buy Down Range Manufacturing's Windjammer replacement wad for $66/5000 and get a dandy wad that is softer to shoot than almost anything out there, and performs as well as the Fig-8.

Shot prices are through the roof. For singles, if you are throwing 1 1/8 ounces at the bird, it really doesn't make much difference what you use. If you can save $2/bag for cheap shot, use it for practice and singles. Save the good stuff for caps and competition.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like reloading, especially for the second shot in doubles. I can adjust the load to hit the center of the target. I also like to reload for the first shot in doubles. I make a load that lets me stay in the gun for the second shot. HMB

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

maclellan,

i have a nice 366 that's for sale if you're interested.

brett d.

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

im using remington nitro or sts, or old style aa hulls,18.5 gr.red dot,remington fig 8 hulls,and win 209 primers,my cost per box is $1.97,the shot i use is made on a stewart shot maker(im fourtanate to work for a large automotive group so i have access to 12 tire machines, wheel weights are free.),i dont count my time for reloading ,or shot making,because i find it relaxing & enjoy both,.as soon as i have 1000 lbs made up i have people lined up to buy shot from me,that way ill be abel to keep myself&my 15 year old son shooting for just the cost of the clays.as far as cost of equipment goes, i purchased a used p.w.800 b with 2000 1x shells for $250.my stewart singel ladel shot maker was $375.my cooling setup $150.so equipment cost dont have to cost you a arm& a leg.when my son & i shoot 400-500 shells every sunday reloading is the only way to go.

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Solo 1000 is $245.99 25# now where I normally get my components . I got mine at $229.00 for the 25# keg. The club got out of the component business and I got all the 12S3 wads they had (three cases) for $45.00 a case. Still have two cases left. Primers Fed 209A 5,600 primers were 15.00 per 1000, The lead I bought in two bags a week for 7 months when it was $10.50 a bag. And just I purchased 14 bags of reclaimed shot for $5.00 a bag.

That is $2.01 a box with the $10.50 shot and $1.63 a box for the reclaimed shot.

It is worth my time and I would still reload if it went the other way.

Rock

Jim

18. Mac V

Mac V Guest

ZZT,

Which of my component costs is too high???

$82 for 8 pounds of Clay Dot when Clays is $110 for the same weight.

$86 for 5000 Rio primers is $17.20/1000. Winchesters are $26 and STS $28 for the same number.

$72 for a case of Rem Fig. 8 wads. You're paying only $2 less per case.

$24 for a 25 lb. bag of shot.

I'm loading a box of 1 oz. loads for $2.91. Where can I cut costs, as you suggest.

Mike

19. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I am a reloader. Sometimes it saves and most of the time it relaxis me. I reload my pistol cartriges my rifle cartriges as well as my shotgun shells. I buy new now and then to replace the tossers. I also reload because I can make the load as heavy as I want or need or as light as I want or need. I suppose I'll rattle some cages by saying, pistol and rifle reloads can be more accurate than store boughts. Shotshells to when you find the right combination of components that will work for you. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

20. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

I was shooting with a Dr. this weekend just practice, He was shooting a K80 custom and Fiocci shells. This guy travels the world shooting.
    my custom 3200 $2000.00
    my handloads say 4.OO a box
    going 50 straight to his 48 PRICELESS!
    I won the PITA GRAND CLASS C HOA in 05 with my reloads.Now with the cost going up Im thinking of buying 40 flats of handycaps but Ill reload for singles. Reloading can become a chore and my wife shoots t. Im going to teach her to reload, she's retired!
    PRICELESS!!
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.