1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reload help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zbag, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zbag

zbag TS Member

New to reloading just got a MEC single stage reloader would like to know which powder bushing & powder wad combo for a 2/3 dram 1 ounce trap load any help would be great

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

zbag, Not quite sure where to start here. First you need to buy a scale to weigh your powder drops to make sure you have the correct amount!!!! Next you need to look up the data you need with the components you have on hand or are planning to buy. Hodgdon.com will get you any powder made from them. The other is Allantpowder.com (I think) Look up one oz loads with the hull you are reloading, next powder,primer,and wad. The data will tell you how much powder you need for the speed you want to load. Hodgdon's website will even give you the powder bushing needed for you weight drop with a given powder and weight drop, but these are not exact and will need to be weighed by you BEFORE you start loading any shells. I am sure you will have more questions so please ask before you load any shells. We need to know your hull type,powder type, primer type and wad type along with the speed of your one oz load that you want. Only then can we help you find out how much powder you need. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Zbag---Please get someone to help you get started. I too thought reloading was just that simple and i found out just how wrong i was. It can be very simple and fun after you have some guidance. I thought everybody was just picking on me when i asked very similar questions but in reality they were just looking out for my well being. The loads have to be a advertised and tested load or you can make a very dangerous situtaion for you and anyone around you. To make a quick statement, your question is way more complicated then just a simple bushing #. Please listen to the advice you get.----Matt

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

zbag

It's very simple. If you don't know what you are doing, then just don't do it. This is stuff that goes bang and can be quite hazardous to work with. That said, most EXPERIENCED reloaders would be happy to help and show a novice the ropes. I have introduced many people to the reloading process. Find someone that you KNOW is reliable and CAREFUL. Then Watch and Listen as you go through the process of learning. There are a LOT of reloaders I would not want to ask for advice, nor would I shoot their reloads.

You will need a scale, a few extra bushings, and a LOT of common sense. Find loading data for the EXACT components you are using and make sure you follow the "recipe" to the "T". Do some reading BEFORE you load anything. There are some good guides out there. There is at least one from MEC and one from LYMAN. Swapping components could be quite risky, since even a simple primer swap could change the pressure over 3000 PSI. The idea is to create shells that are reasonable in pressure and consistent, while giving the velocity and pattern performance you would expect. Bushing charts are NOT accurate and should NEVER be used instead of a scale.

Give us an idea of where you are located and maybe someone here would be willing to help you out.

If you don't have components yet, wait until you get some good advice and can select a load from reliable data for the components you will be obtaining. Don't go by someone's pet load, unless you can verify the data. Don't select loads with pressures over 9500 - 10,000 PSI to start with. It's better to start with lower pressure loads until you get the hang of it. There is more room for error that way.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BUY A SCLALE my RCBS 505 works great. Then find someone who already reloads. If you do not have the directions download them from MEC directly and read them. There are many reloading books. The ABC's of reloading can be found justabout anywhere for 20.00 also ask around the club. Im sure there are shooters with reloading how to and data books sitting around.

6. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

A clean seperate area for reloading is critical, components ie powder,primers need to be stored seperate, there are guidelines from the manufactures.IF
    CHILDREN ARE PRESENT LOCK UP!.Lead dust is a hazzard,keep your area tidy and clean,wash up after reloading,

The loading advice previous follow it, if a loaded shell looks odd, dont shot it,

Be safe have fun.
    Pete

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Can't repeat this enough, get a scale, and use PUBLISHED reloading data. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.