1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload Federal shell questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Ok I normally use AA shells to reload.
    I buy cases of Federal Top Gun to shoot around with, a guy the other day saw me about to trash can them, and he asked if he could have them, which I did. I started to ask some questions but had to go shoot. He was gone when I got back.
    So the question to all of you, 1. Do you reload these? They have the silver color bottom?
    2. What wad do you use?
    3. Can you use the 209 Winchester primers in them?
    and last but not least what powder do you use?

I normally use green dot with my AA's and the 209 Win primers. I understand the crimp might be a little hard to deal with, on the Federals. PS I bought a bag of Claybusters in the hot pink only to find I had the wrong wad for the AA's in 1 - 1 1/8 oz loads. Will these work for the Federal, as it states for Federal on the bag. And yes I did not read that when I bought them! Thank you in advance for help!
    Deb

2. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Normal Fed Gold Medal shells that I loaded for years ,I would use 18g's of red dot and 12s3 wad or claybuster or windjammer wad with 209 ..The hulls that fed has now might be a 2 piece ...

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The pink claybusters are for a one ounce load in AA configuration I think. They will likely allow too much space for federal hulls.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

The Federal S3 (for 1 1/8 oz) or S0 (for 1 oz) wads (or clones thereof) can be used in the Top Gun hull.

This hull has a paper base wad. Do not get them wet. I reload them once and pitch them.

Use Gold Medal recipes and you will be fine.

Don Verna

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Deb

I have loaded thousands of them and they look just like factory shells when they come off my PW loader. I can't tell a bit of difference between them and reloaded Federal papers in performance. I have used several different kinds of powder and primers with excellent results with all.

The only real difference I can see that hurts performance of these shells is using American made wads. I use either noble sport wads or gualandi wads because they have a slightly larger circumference which fits the hull better.

6. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Deb,

Contrary to the naysayers on this forum who disagree with everything; I load Estates, Federal Top Guns, Rem (all) and new and old AA's on my PW 800+ without any press changes and the loads all look like factory.

Use the Federal or Federal-clone wads appropriate for the shot weight and a recipe from the Lyman book or the powder manufacturer of your choice for the Gold Medal hull.

I do not load Top Guns or Estates more than twice due to the paper base wad and would only load them once if I wasn't using a break-open gun.

YMMV.

Good luck in your loading and shooting.

HBT

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've use Downranges DRF3-12 in both the Estate and Top Gun hulls with success.
    As another poster said, reload once and pitch. I use loads found under Federal Gold Metal hulls in the Alliant Powder guide. I've used both Claydot and Promo with those Federal hulls.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I will scarf up and load Fed cheapies any time I can get them.

Use wads made for Riefenhauser type wads for these hulls. Your primers will work fine.

I get excellent results from the Claybuster Red Eight (CB3118-12AR wad).

12SO and 12S3 also work well for proper loads.

A bulky powder, such as the Green Dot you use will give you all the performance you want. I use Solo 1000 and Solo 1250 exclusively.

Load them a couple of times, and let them go. They are almost always free. :^)

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I agree with coach on a few points. I am just on a last reload of over 5000 hulls [top gun] on their 3rd reload. I have had great luck with the red 8 claybuster wad. This load combo is soft and hits targets hard. I load 18g promo. I am now using a windjammer wad due to running out of the red 8 wads. Good results here too, but might give you a few dingers in cold weather. Most posters here are right this case has lots of room, a bulky powder helps, and running a 1oz load maybe a problem without a tall wad.

GS

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Deb:

Alliant Powder Co. published data for Federal's Top Gun type hulls for 25 years or so. I've loaded a train load of Top Guns over the years using that published data.

Since you asked about Green Dot and Win 209 primers, one of the recipes is 20.0 grains of Green Dot, with a Winchester 209 primer, and a 12S3 wad (or clone). It pushes an ounce and an eighth of shot at 1145 feet per second. The chamber pressure is 8,200 psi. If you bump the powder up to 21.5 grains, you get 1200 feet per second and 8,900 psi.

I suspect the hot pink Claybusters you bought are item number CB6118-12. If so, they look like regular Winchester wads (WAA12, WT-12 or WAAA12SL) except in hot pink. They are however, a straight wall wad designed for non-specified straight wall hulls. Claybuster's web site includes limited load data but none of it lists Win209's.

I'd call or e-mail Claybuster or Alliant before using anything other than their exact published data.

sissy

12. Mirage Combo

Mirage Combo TS Member

Go too www.hogden.com.they list what will work with what.

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

They have become my preferred reload with my 20 gauge. With a Federal wad they work great. They crimp very easily due to the thin plastic used on them. You can reload any load easily with them because they are a very roomy hull. And my 11-87 20 gauge loves them. So smooth. They are so roomy that I use no wad pressure with them with my target loads. I stop as soon as the wad makes contact with the powder.

14. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Recoil Sissy I checked you are right I had the CB 6118-12, thanks goodness the Claybuster rep was at the Ohio State shoot and we were chatting and I said I had picked up a bag of those to load. He then started asking me alot of questions, and that was the first clue I might not have the right thing! All the data on the back is for Fed 209. So I guess I either return these and keep giving those other top guns to the guy at the club. Thanks for everybodies help!!!

Deb

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Federal Top Guns, Estates, and the rest of the paper base wad style hulls can be loaded a few times without too many issues. I use the Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8 oz and the 12S0 for the 1 ounce. There are a few clones that work quite well, such as the Claybuster CB 2100 and CB 2118, plus the Downrange DRF3. Downrange does NOT make a clone of the 12S0 for 1 ounce.

There are several points you need to know. These hulls should NOT be used if the basewads ever get wet. You can usually see if the have by inspecting the interior of the hull. The swelling should be apparent. The Primer pockets will loosen after one or two loadings and gas will leak around the primer. Using a standard 209 for the first loading and then an oversized primer for the second will usually alleviate the problem. I use the Federal 209A on the first loading and the Rio G600 for the second. They don't get loaded for a third time, since I toss them before that.

My usual loads are as follows:

Federal 209A or Rio G600 primer, Federal 12S0 wad or clone, 1 oz of hard shot, 18.2 grains of Promo or Red Dot. This will give about 1200 fps.

Federal 209A or Rio G600 primer, Federal 12S3 wad or clone,l 1/8 oz of hard shot, 18.7 grains of Promo or Red Dot. This will give around 1200 fps.

Green Dot, Clay Dot, 700-X, or any suitable powder can be used. Loading data for the Federal Gold Medal hulls can be used. Your velocities will probably just slightly lower than what is listed for the Gold Medals. Just try to stay away from loads that list over 10,000 PSI and you should be fine.

The usual failures in these hulls are primer leakage and the tubes separating from the head. It happens infrequently, but it can happen.

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I reload the wally world feds, and estate shells. The Feds are a bear to deprime. except that thet shoot fine in the 870.
    railroad

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

No one has said anything so I will, dont load the feds for heavy loads I had 2 that just left the brass one even split that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can windjammer wads be used in federal cases
can windjammer wads work for federal hulls

cb 6118 wad loads to use

federal hulls so wads and green dot powder

federal promotional shells windjammer wad load data
federal top gun 20 ga reload data
federal top gun 20 gauge reload data
what wads to use for federal target loads