1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reload buckshot ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Does anyone reload buckshot(00)buck 3" or 3.5"---If so what is your recipe---I know I'll hear---Why even try---I am a reloading nut---I pick up all the hulls at my gun club(hunting) and would like to give it a try---I have extra loaders that I can just set up for this---Any thoughts appreciated----MYSTIC---

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Lyman's shotgun book, and older copies as well, have many recipes for buckshot loads. BPI sells granulated filler to use with buck and it does work well.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Many yrs ago we used to load our own buckshot---We would use splitshot fishing sinkers and tie the shot with real line---Talk about holding a pattern---It would put all the shot into the target---That was using 2 3/4 " shells---That was when we were young and crazy----MYSTIC---

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes, I use to do that back in the days of lead shot for Geese. It is an interesting effort in experimenting with what produces the best patterns.

As Sarge indicated, this really is hand loading as the big pellets won't flow through your loader. Hand stack in layers with filler is the way to go. Get your powder data from the powder manufacture. I used the red winchester wads just because I could get them and they provided a decent volume for the big paylosds. I'll bet there are better choices today.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am trying to get all this info in order but I am not up on the filler thing.
    Please explain what you mean by filler---Thanks---MYSTIC---

6. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Mystic,

From what I understand, the filler is a granulated plastic. When poured into the case after, or during insertion of the buckshot, it takes up all the air space between the shot and results in a tighter pattern. Like I said, it's nothing more than ground up plastic. Years and years ago (read that more than I'd care to admit), some re-loaders even used corn meal for that purpose.

Bob M.

7. wolfram

The filler is usually small granulated plastic beads which occupy the voids left by the big shot. The idea is that the filler helps the buckshot charge travel down the barrel and out the choke like a normal charge of small shot rather than having the big pellets pushing on the sides of each other and producing a bunch of fliers.

Fillers are also called buffers. Some guys use cream of wheat or corn meal as a filler, there a several specialty products on the market for this and I would try them first.

When you get a load that will keep 90% of the buckshot in a 30" circle at 40 yards you have a winner.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your best bet is go with the card/fiber wads and forget the shot cups dont need filler for that size. not posting loads but if you want fiber wads have MANY

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I recently priced out the fiber wads fillers and such that my dad used to use for reloading buck shot/slugs ect ect.....not much cheaper.

10. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

If you use cornmeal or cream of wheat as filler for buckshot, use an overshot wad for repeating guns. Otherwise your magazine and action will be full of the stuff.

Oatmeal may work better as it won't leak out of the crimp.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The buffer material prevents the large pellets from flattening out by denying them a space to deform into.

I have had factory #4 buck loads with buffer. Deadly on high flying honkers.

HM

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Where do you buy the buffer?MYSTIC---

13. wolfram

I have seen buffer/filler in the Cabelas book, on PrecisionReloading.com and in Graff's book. Never bought any as I don't shoot buck these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.