1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reliability of Rem. Gun Club Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pdq, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

In another thread, Earl reports:
    "The Gun Clubs are unreliable and may take two strikes to ignite."

My experience is somewhat the same. I get one that fails to fire about every flat. Second strike rarely does the trick; gun is a new Silver Seitz, so it's not the gun -- had the same problem with my Ljutic previously. I've sent them in to Remington & gotten an explanantion as to why they failed and a check to buy replacements. 1 per flat doesn't upset me, but just seems to be the norm.

Pete

2. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have had about the same experience. Maybe a little more from the 20 GA.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

It aint the shell but it is the gun. I have friends at times whose Benneli, Beretta and at times a Browning that wont fire a shell ... I take it and pop it in the chamber and BLAMMO SPLAMMO busted target and this has been done with Remingtons, Federals, Winchesters, Rio's and Kemens. Now I aint saying my gun is anything special cause it has failed to fire a shell once or twice itself but it aint normally the shell but it is almost always 99.95% of the time the gun itself.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Earl ... can you explain why a misfire in Shooter A's gun can be handed to Shooter B and go bang in his gun and when Shooter D has a problem from the same shells can be handed to Shooter A and it will go bang in his gun but when Shooter B has a misfire it will go bang in Shooter C's gun?

It aint always the shell ... but it is almost always the gun that causes the shell not to go BANG!

I have shot 1000's of Remington Game Loads in since late summer and have yet to have one not go BANG. I gave a couple boxes to a friend who was running short the other week and he had 3 shells out of 2 boxes that would not fire. 1 shell he rechambered and it went BANG ... the other 2 he handed to me and they went BANG and the 2 I gave him to replace them went BANG ... was it the shells? Nope ... cause they all went BANG ... was it the gun? Yep ... I think it was the gun and that it is the gun about 99.95% percent of the time ... unless your talking reloads than it could be more shell than gun.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

starting to have a bad bunch of gun clubs. shoot them in a seitz and actually had two last week out of 100. i thought it was the gun motordoc

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

MotorDoc ... it aint the gun but it is the shells per Earl.

Did you just chunk the shells or did somebody else try them as well and they were still no bangs?

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Well, for whatever it's worth, I've been shooting factory Remington Gun Clubs exclusively for about five years and never had one misfire. My gun is a Remington 1100.

Porcupine

8. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

I don't know about Gun Clubs, but I've shot probably a hundred flats of Rem Game Loads without a single misfire. That makes me think it's the gun - a lighter firing pin strike by some guns.

9. crackshot

crackshot Member

I've been using Gun Club shells for a year now and I never heard of one missfiring untill the string on this forum. I shoot in a winter league in Michigan.I use an 1100 and a Citor. Dave

10. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I shoot Gun Club light 8's for singles......don't really care what I shoot for singles...so far this year I have 1950 reg 16's with 4 losses...99.79 average with the Gun Clubs....the 4 I missed were all me....very consistent cheap shell in my opinion....Jerry

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I know of someone who recently sent a few flats back to Remington because of the problems they were having.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jerry Parr, that's impossible, everyone knows from the last Gun Club thread that they are junk and won't break targets. Threads like this are ridiculous.
    Gun Clubs use the STS primer, same as STS loads. Says so on the box. I think the shot is the same also. From a reloader's point of view, it has to be the best shell bargain available. The only real difference I can see is the Gun Club doesn't burn quite a clean as the STS. The hulls may not last quite as long.

Missed 4 of 1950, man,that's amazing shooting! Remington owes you a check for that testament.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many discount shells use a hard metal for the primer cap. A weak hammer spring or a slightly shorter firing pin way work very well on premium shells but will not work consistently on some discount shells. At one time my K-80 would not fire any Rio shells. I had the hammer springs replaced as part of my routine maintenance and now my gun will shoot Rio shells. Now, if I could only get my gun to eject the hulls, I might shoot a box of Rio shells.

Pat Ireland

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Earl ... there is nothing that can be said to a person as set in there opinion as your opinion is set.

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i have shot several cases of gun clubs , never any problems until lately. had 5 gun clubs that wouldn,t fire in 2 different model 12,s a tm 1 & a browning citori. 3 of the shells had to be struck 3 times to fire. i had a friend had the same problem with a stoeger. we were wandering if some of the gun club primers were set in a little deeper than others. don,t know for sure .dwain

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've never had any Gun Club misfires with my K-80. My wife had several with her K-80. My gun has way more headspace than hers. She's never had a misfire with any other shell.

Several people have had Gun Club failure issues that I know!!

17. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**I think we can all agree that there are guns that will fire anything.**

I'm certain that's true. I've never had even one misfire of a factory load. My guns must be of the "fire anything" variety. Why would any gun manufacturer build any other kind?

18. jrb

jrb Member

I have had a few gun clubs not fire but I think that can be said for alot of shells. I have had brand new sts's , gm's and aa's not fire and it didnt matter which gun they were shot in. Just because they came from a factory doesn't mean there can't be issues with the shell. I have seen brand new trucks blow their engine before the customer made it home....anything can go wrong!

I can tell the difference though in shooting gun clubs and sts's in handicap....sts breaks them much harder but the gun club 2 3/4 9's do just fine at 16's..not much difference!

J. R. Brock

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I've never had not 1 reloaded GC shell fail to fire in any of my guns.........Don't know about factory GC's

20. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

They always go bang for me. Shoot Beretta 391 & Winchester Super X-1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.