1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Releasing a Release 01/04/08

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Earl4140, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

I've started letting go of my stock when I release my trigger. At first I was brushing my top lever and wondering "What's This?" Jeff Smith, one of the better Sporting Shooters in East Tennessee, pointed out that I was releasing my stock.

I find this very annoying. I have no idea where the 50% of recoil I'm suppost to tame in my stock hand is going to. Serving up consious commands does not help my scores. The 'Hand' is so short that backing up allows my 'pinky' to fall off the hand. The trigger distance is so short that I can wrap my finger around the trigger and feel wood on the opposite side.

If no one has a fix, I guess I'll have to Pony up $5,000 for a BT-100. Earl

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Earl....What you describe is down right scarry! The following are my suggestions.....1. NEVER let go of the stock when shooting[YOU COULD BLOW YOUR BLOODY FOOT OFF}....2. I find this all very annoying to....3. What pinky on which hand?....4. Adjust your lenght of pull by adding wood,spacers, or thicker pad.....5. Seriuosly consider taking up another sport. Hope this helps!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl- I have seen others with this problem. It is a type of flinch. Try using a shooting glove. This will give your brain the idea that you have completely changed your grip. If you happen to now use a glove, then shoot without one. If that does not work, think about release triggers. If you now shoot a release trigger, get advice from someone else, I can't help.

Pat Ireland

4. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

"I have no idea where the 50% of recoil I'm suppost to tame in my stock hand is going"

Killing brain cells, obviously.

5. hairy

hairy TS Member

I had that trouble when I first went to a release. Did some work on my release and got the release weight up to 3½# from 1½# and the problem was gone. When the release weight was so light it seemed I had to literally take my finger completely off the trigger to make it shoot. Of course I didn't really, but it felt that way to me. Might not help you at all, but maybe worth a try.

6. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Pat: I've been shooting in a pair of fishing gloves given to me by Bill Anderson. They have three fingers truncated making the ideal shooting glove. Yesterday I wore my Bob Allem Winter gloves. No gloves sounds like a very interesting solution and will be tried tomorrow.

Hairy: "I had that trouble when I first went to a release. Did some work on my release and got the release weight up to 3½# from 1½# and the problem was gone. When the release weight was so light it seemed I had to literally take my finger completely off the trigger to make it shoot. Of course I didn't really, but it felt that way to me. Might not help you at all, but maybe worth a try".

Your solution sounds very sound (npi). My problem is I have no idea what set and release weights should be. Further, I have never understood the slow/fast trigger. I guess hi set and high release weights yields a fast trigger. I've owned and shot 10 guns with release triggers and have had no problem before this. The best were the Krieghoffs installed by Bill Gilette(sp?). At this time I own and shoot four guns with releases. Two by Spears, one by Phillip and one unknow. As you are well aware changing one gun may not be a good idea.

"I have no idea where the 50% of recoil I'm supposed to tame in my stock hand is going". "Killing brain cells, obviously". Kid, you live at home don't you? I thought so. Get a hold of Stud, between the two of you and Neuton (I don't think you will need Einstein on this one) find out where the 50% recoil is going. The only answer I have is the recoil is suppressed before I let go of the stock. Earl

7. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Pat: Gloves off no problem. Jimmy, thanks. Earl

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use a trigger scale and see where your set and release points are, a very good place to start is 56 oz set and 28 oz release, if it is lighter than that, that is what your problem is, I could never shoot a release that is that slow, what kind of gun is it on, who installed the release? Sometimes a simple spring change is that all is needed, on a Seitz you have a lot of adjustment going for you, Have Richie at Seitz fix it if if is a Seitz, simple adjustment.

Other guns w/release have it sent back to him for re-calibration, the installer that is.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

"It is an unnatural movement for a shooter." ROFLMAO. And just why is pulling a trigger a natural movement? Just because the original trigger design was the pull motion didn't make it the best design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.